Japanese Defensive Tactics?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
What are the police and defense forces of Japan taught in regard to weapons, defensive tactics and less lethal?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe the Tokyo Riot Police still send a group of officers through the senshusei course of Yoshikan Aikido. It's a demanding year-long program.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know that years ago most large departments had clubs for Judo, Karate, and Kendo. But I think that things like Silat and Krav Maga are begining to enter into the local LEO and bodyguard training. I`d say that Judo and Aikido are still the most common here.I was really suprised that the weapons training was so limited though. I`ve seen embassy guards and the PM`s security detail carrying long white riot batons, but other than than I wouldn`t see kendo or jodo haveing nearly as much direct application as say arnis.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
my understanding is that most Japanese police officers are members of judo, jujitsu or karate 'clubs'/ Dojo's and train pretty hard.

Normally they are not allowed to carry any kind of fire arm as I understand it, to even a much harsher extreme then the British police ever had in that restriction..

on Okinawa, I understand that with a rare exception all the police are at least brown belt or higher in karate or some other martial art.. ( Okinawan karate styles of course being the main arts )

Most styles of Okinawan Karate do teach weapons...( kobujitsu) .. to one extent or another.

Latest Discussions