James Zumbo, redux

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting new comments from James Zumbo, the guy who had earlier, angered many in the firearms community by spouting off ignorant statements about semiautomatic rifles.

Even though I still haven't forgiven Zumbo for his ignorant statements, I will applaud him for 1) being humble about the situation, and freely admitting that he was wrong, and 2) actually going up to bat for those that he had earlier stabbed in the back.

Here's the letter that he wrote to Senator Carl Levin (D-MI), regarding Levin only quoting his ignorant statements that he had recanted.

About halfway down the page.

That in mind, Sen. Levin must know that almost immediately after I wrote those remarks, I recanted and apologized to the millions of Americans who lawfully and responsibly own, compete with and hunt with semi-automatic rifles. I took a "crash course" on these firearms and visited with my good friend Ted Nugent on his ranch in Texas, where I personally shot an AR-15 and educated myself with these firearms.

Some of us learn from our mistakes, others keep making them. Legislation to which Sen. Levin alluded, HR 1022, would renew the ban on so-called "assault weapons," and dangerously expand it to encompass far more perfectly legal firearms. For the Congress of the United States to even consider such legislation is an affront to every law-abiding firearms owner in this country.

This legislation that Sen. Levin appears to endorse is written so broadly as outlaw not only firearms, but accessories, including a folding stock for a Ruger rifle. As I understand the language of this bill, it could ultimately take away my timeworn and cherished hunting rifles and shotguns - firearms I hope to one day pass on to my grandchildren - as well as millions of identical and similar firearms owned by other American citizens.

While his turnaround hasn't rebuilt the bridge that he had burnt with the firearms community, at least it's a single plank that is needed to start rebuilding.

Latest Discussions