James Zumbo flushes career down toilet

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A gun snob, and an ignorant one at that:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60817318

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Very ignorant of Zumbo, considering that many folks use the AR-15 platform as varmit guns, due to their accuracy, reliability, and versatility. Not only that, but other "evil" guns such as the SKS rifle, are frequently used for medium sized game, such as deer.

He has posted his "apology" here:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html

I have mixed feelings on this. One one hand, it takes a big man to admit that he was wrong, but on the other hand, someone of his experience should have had the wisdom to not go shooting his mouth (pardon the pun) in a fit of snobbery. While it's certainly his right to be a gun snob of the worst kind, he does need to realize that it's also everyone else's right to staunchly disagree with him.

Don't be surprised if Remington drops their sponsorship of him.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You would think after being involved in hunting, shooting and the NRA he should realize what implications his blog might bring. He was stating that the AR has no place in hunting, thats ok, he's entitled to his ignorant opinion, but what gets me is that he goes on to call them "assault" and "terrorist" weapons. This could easily be interpreted by media as..."Even James Zumbo, experienced expert hunter claims there is no place for assault weapons." What comes next is peaked interest in getting these types of guns BANNED. Gun owners should look at the whole (if one part of our shooting community takes a hit it will effect ALL shooters and it might not be too long before your grampas old hunting shotgun is banned too).

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
By the time the ripples from Zumbo's dumbo remarks have subsided, he may find himself hunting coyotes with a rubber band gun.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if he flushed his career down the toilet, but he definately shot himself in the foot on this one.

This is posted on Remington's Website:

" NOTICE: Remington is in the process of severing our sponsorships with Mr. Zumbo. Remington in no way shares or advocates any of the comments made by Mr. Zumbo on his blog site. A formal announcement will be released by noon today."

http://www.remington.com/

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It has started. The Brady Bunch picked up on it already...

Sunday, February 18, 2007
Even Remington's top gun writer agrees on Assault Weapons

With important writers such as this on our side, it is clear that we have a cultural imperative to remove dangerous terrorist rifles from our streets, and our woods.

Jim Zumbo is a writer for the prestigious Outdoor Life magazine and represents the views of America's true sportsmen. He is also sponsored by Remington.

http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?f...&MyToken=bb027c77-4e4b-4679-9555-c1ec707d4eb0

As far as his apology...its kind of like a murderer saying he was sorry for killing your family. Damage is done and its too little too late. His career deserves the death penalty.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That all sounds too...convenient.

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What was he thinking?

I'm guessing here... but I think he represents the opinion of most hunters (at least in my area). At our local gun club you have seperate "clicks" of shooters just like how there are clicks in highschool (jocks, nerds, etc). If I show up to shoot clays with my "tactical" pump shotgun I'm frowned upon because its not what they are used to. Doesn't matter if I can bust clays as good as someone with a $4000 double barrel. In short, there is some personal snobbery going on. He doesn't like the AR platform just like the clay shooters don't like the defensive shotgun which is ok...he is entitled to his opinion, when you are a prolific writer in the industry and don't consider what further damage your opinion might cause, well you know the rest! Its almost like he was privately talking among his hunting buddies around a campfire rather than addressing millions of readers, I just don't get it?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand many hunters have no use for an AK....... just as hunting an animal down does absolutely nothing for me....... but why be stupid enough to give aid and comfort to those who want to disarm all of us?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
As a favor, can you tell me where you saw Remington has shown this guy the door?

Well, given what's above in post #6, he's got one career about 'shot'...... but let's see if he jumps ship and becomes "The Voice of Reasonable and Responsible Gun Owners" over at the Brady organization or some similar place.

Gun control was barely on the radar screen this year, and now its front burner thanks to him. Everyone has dumb thoughts, but whatever happened to just STFU when you do?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if he flushed his career down the toilet, but he definately shot himself in the foot on this one.

This is posted on Remington's Website:

" NOTICE: Remington is in the process of severing our sponsorships with Mr. Zumbo. Remington in no way shares or advocates any of the comments made by Mr. Zumbo on his blog site. A formal announcement will be released by noon today."

http://www.remington.com/

Well good for them! Prompt, decisive action on their part. I may just have to look at getting another Remington soon. Never hurts to back the good guys. :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A gun snob, and an ignorant one at that:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60817318

Very ignorant of Zumbo, considering that many folks use the AR-15 platform as varmit guns, due to their accuracy, reliability, and versatility. Not only that, but other "evil" guns such as the SKS rifle, are frequently used for medium sized game, such as deer.

He has posted his "apology" here:

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html

I have mixed feelings on this. One one hand, it takes a big man to admit that he was wrong, but on the other hand, someone of his experience should have had the wisdom to not go shooting his mouth (pardon the pun) in a fit of snobbery. While it's certainly his right to be a gun snob of the worst kind, he does need to realize that it's also everyone else's right to staunchly disagree with him.

Don't be surprised if Remington drops their sponsorship of him.

Both Links are down or 404.

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So what I don't understand is...

The right to bear arms was granted us to protect us from our OWN GOVERNMENT.

Yet they outlaw the same cool toys they have. Now granted no one civi or government should have nukes and or biologicals...

But I mean I think the commute to work would be more plesant if the guy inf ront of you may or may not have an armour pericing projectile of some kind.

--Infy
Its not about gun control... its about SELF control.

OP
Grenadier

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But I mean I think the commute to work would be more plesant if the guy inf ront of you may or may not have an armour pericing projectile of some kind.

Almost any centerfire rifle ammo will penetrate soft body armor, regardless of bullet construction.

--Infy
Its not about gun control... its about SELF control.

We are in complete agreement on that matter!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Infinite, the Constitution does not grant any rights. It recognizes ones with which we are naturally endowed. At least that was the theory back when "that damned piece of paper" (to quote Shrubus Minimus) was written.

Latest Discussions