Obama threatens lawsuits against people who disagree with him.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Obama Campaign Threaten Legal Action Over NRA Ads
Thursday, September 25, 2008

Fairfax, VA-Sen. Barack Obama's presidential campaign has sent threatening letters to news agencies in Pennsylvania and Ohio to stop airing ads exposing his anti-gun record sponsored by the National Rifle Association Political Victory Fund (NRA-PVF).
The kicker? NRA-PVF's Ohio’s ads have not yet begun running.
“Barack Obama and his campaign are terrified of the truth,” declared Chris W. Cox, Chairman of NRA-PVF. “Sen. Obama's statements and support for restricting access to firearms, raising taxes on guns and ammunition and voting against the use of firearms for self-defense in the home are a matter of public record. NRA-PVF will make sure that everyone knows of Obama's abysmal record on guns and hunting.”
The Obama campaign sent cease and desist letters to news outlets in Pennsylvania and Ohio, denouncing the ads and demanding their removal from the airwaves. All stations where NRA-PVF has purchased or plans to purchase ads have been provided with documented evidence of Sen. Obama's anti-gun record.
More can be read on the NRA site here

All I can say is... Boo ****ing Hoo, Obama. What? Is he afraid of his own stance? I was almost in support of this man, ONCE. This (not his stance on it, but his BABY-LIKE behavior) definatley cost him my vote. No fence sitting for me.​

jetboatdeath

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Good to see he supports the first amendment rights of free speech as much as he supports the second…..

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
The actual Cease-and-Desist letter is here. I don't know how solid the claims are, but they allege that the ads are false and misleading. If so, they have no business being on the air. Free speech is not a fig leaf for lying. If not, then Obama is in the wrong, although no one here seems to have made the case that he is in fact wrong.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
False and Misleading in an election commercial.
How Novel.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hey, he's a lawyer...lawyers sue.

Now if he were a fighter pilot....

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd vote for a ban on smear ads. Tell me what you can do, not how you can twist the other guys plan to make it sound bad.

What? No. Wrong. Uhuh. It's what makes American political coverage so much fun to watch on TV. The ads are soooo funny. The closer they get to the election date the more outrageous the ads. Ignore Andrew, smear away. Ya'll are so damn good at it!
lori

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
I glanced over the "cease and desist" letter and saw about what I expected...

Obama's voting record on 2nd Amendment issues is easy to find and he has in fact voted to institute or strengthen various gun control laws on all but one occasion (IIRC). Sounds like he doesn't want that brought to the attention of people to lazy to check on their own...he'd prefer them to believe that "he's not going to take their guns away." :rolleyes:

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The actual Cease-and-Desist letter is here. I don't know how solid the claims are, but they allege that the ads are false and misleading. If so, they have no business being on the air. Free speech is not a fig leaf for lying. If not, then Obama is in the wrong, although no one here seems to have made the case that he is in fact wrong.

According to the NRA's Article, and I bear in mind they have an agenda as well, but accoridng to their article, the provided the paperwork to back up the commercials to the networks.

And I saw the commercial online... its pretty "Im a hard line gun nut and I hate Obama" but its NOT slanderous. "Barak Proposed a Ban on hunting shotguns. Barak proposed a ban on popular hunting caliber ammunition"

Not, "Barak eats babies so he has super gun stealing powers" Heh Heh.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Instapundit has a nice one liner:
They told me that if George W. Bush were re-elected there would be brazen efforts to suppress free speech on political grounds -- and they were right!

OP
Cryozombie

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I posted the following in another local forum where Obama's supporters are strong and vocal... it's been 24 hours, and I have yet to see a single response... Hmmm.

Ok, Obama supporters, I have to ask... | Yesterday - 4:38am

Now, Don't take this the wrong way, I'm neither Republican nor a McCain supporter, but I have to ask, Because this really stood out to me... Recently he (Obama) threatened to sue several Television stations if they aired commercials which informed the public of his Anti-second amendment stance. That being the case, it would seem pretty obvious he has no respect for our First Amendment rights either. So, if he supports neither of these, what exactly DOES he stand for, other than just being another oppressive, Rights abuser like Bush? And before you say "Well, the commercials were spreading false lies about him" as he was quick to claim, I veiwed the spot that was going to be aired, and *I* didn't see anything in it that did not jive with his actual voting record in regards to the Second Amendment...

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
An intellegent question concerning the facts of a mainline candidate.
How dare you.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Could I get an order against both of them and all their ads?

They run one and then a non political ad and then the other ad here in my local area. The ads are also about the same subjects. I have DVR so I can go back and replay them over and over. It is nice, as they both claim the other is doing "X" based upon what set of data they are looking at.

Talk about being False.

:rollseyes:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Senator Obama has voted in favor of almost all anti-gun legislation.

http://gunowners.org/pres08/obama.htm

As far as someone trying to portray him as pro-2nd Amendment, that would be the same as someone trying to portray Senator Barry Goldwater as a liberal...

Latest Discussions