Jacob’s 2017 highlights

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jacob had a great year winning the USKA World Championship, USKA National Championship, USKA Points Championship, PKC International Championship and numerous local, state, and regional tournaments.

He has been working on combinations along with his footwork/movement and I think he is coming along very well. Very proud of him. He puts in a ton of work.

Here is his highlight reel for anyone interested in watching. (Highlight reel is in reverse chronological order)

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
His brother should have used the songs You’re The Best Around from Karate Kid and Fight To Survive from Bloodsport. It would’ve made it more dramatic :)

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
His brother should have used the songs You’re The Best Around from Karate Kid and Fight To Survive from Bloodsport. It would’ve made it more dramatic :)

We will put those on the list for future videos. ;)

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
He didn't say that......that's what you said when someone gives an example.

My guess is that your son is trained by a coach that has no clue about full contact fighting and or selfdefense else he would've made sure that your son, even in a sports match, would kept his hands up.

Hell even my 9 year old has a better cover than what i saw on the video and they don't even train full contact yet.

His movement is good and he is a fast little bugger :)

No reason to be rude and insulting.

You don't know anything about his instructor.

The fact is my son has developed his style over the last 8 years and it's what works for him. If you don't like his style thats fine, but again its what works for him specifically....no reason to insult his instructor.

Does he need to keep his hands up more....yes...but the fact is he hasn't really hasn't had to because it hasn't been a problem yet. He is stubborn and has to be proven wrong to get it through his thick head.

and I guess congratulations on your son's better cover.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

The fact is my son has developed his style over the last 8 years and it's what works for him. If you don't like his style thats fine, but again its what works for him specifically....no reason to insult his instructor.

Does he need to keep his hands up more....yes...but the fact is he hasn't really hasn't had to because it hasn't been a problem yet. He is stubborn and has to be proven wrong to get it through his thick head.

His style is working, and he looks great in those tournaments, from the highlight reel. However, there were a couple moments even when he got points, that if it were a fight the other guy could/would have continued and your sons style would/could have gotten him in trouble. That's why, depending on the goal, entering a full contact match without someone stopping at each point can be useful. That said, I don't think I would ever want to have my kid train in full contact striking...I've gotten too many concussions to want to risk that with a kid. And that's without ever doing an official fight.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
You and I have a really different view on "rude and insulting".

The thing YOU wanted was that we all gave a big cheer when we looked at that video without giving any criticism, well your on a forum, about martial arts.

The style that he developed over the last 8 years might be encouraged by his current instructor and his parents (as it seems) but my perspective as a Silat and Kickboxing instructor is insulting and rude? I think it was a nice tip that you could forward to him, as his parent.....

The same style that gives him a false sense of security because the first altercation he will get, he gets hit in the face, and then?

It hasn't gave him problems yet because he trains for point fighting and there will always be a referee for that but that, referee won't be there in life.

I don't have a problem with you pointing out he needs to keep his hands up....but claiming his instructor is clueless...to me is kinda rude and insulting.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
However, there were a couple moments even when he got points, that if it were a fight the other guy could/would have continued and your sons style would/could have gotten him in trouble.

I agree. He is a smart and competitive kid and understands that its a point competition. He is competing within the rules.

That said, I don't think I would ever want to have my kid train in full contact striking

Agree. Right now he enjoys the competition just like him playing basketball and baseball. He isn't training to be a professional fighter just enjoying competing in karate tournaments.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So hard hits are only specific to kickboxing?

:D
Well if you hit hard in point fighting you get disqualified hence why so many point fighters have their hands at their hips so I'd say you get hit harder in kickboxing

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well if you hit hard in point fighting you get disqualified hence why so many point fighters have their hands at their hips so I'd say you get hit harder in kickboxing

True But youth kickboxing doesn’t allow any head contact. In the organization, he currently competes in at least head contact is legal.

In the dojo, head contact is permitted and sparring sessions get a little rough at times.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

I saw nothing rude and insulting about that at all...he said the coach doesn't know much about full contact fighting....yeah what's wrong with that? Some coaches don't there's no shame in it doesn't make them bad coaches....if you think that's rude you need to get some thicker skin. Your son drops his hands a lot in his fights.....that's a fact and if he did fight like that in a different setting he'd probably take a lot of hard shots...but he isn't fighting in that setting so it doesn't matter right now so fine whatever but there's nothing wrong with it being pointed out.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
You and I have a really different view on "rude and insulting".

The thing YOU wanted was that we all gave a big cheer when we looked at that video without giving any criticism, well your on a forum, about martial arts.

The style that he developed over the last 8 years might be encouraged by his current instructor and his parents (as it seems) but my perspective as a Silat and Kickboxing instructor is insulting and rude? I think it was a nice tip that you could forward to him, as his parent.....

The same style that gives him a false sense of security because the first altercation he will get, he gets hit in the face, and then?

It hasn't gave him problems yet because he trains for point fighting and there will always be a referee for that but that, referee won't be there in life.
Agree with every word. I always have to laugh when people post videos then get defensive when someone points out a criticism...like why post a video if you don't want advice. I've been around a while and if I see something to critique ill say it because that helps people improve.

In my opinion if I watched this video and said wow this is the best thing I've ever seen and its perfect technique...then that would be worse and more insulting than giving the advice

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, I don’t have a problem with anyone criticing my son and pointing out that he drops his hands.

I do think it is insulting to claim his instructor is clueless simply because my son has that habit.

Just point out he needs to keep his hands up no need to make assumptions about his instructor.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, I don’t have a problem with anyone criticing my son and pointing out that he drops his hands.

I do think it is insulting to claim his instructor is clueless simply because my son has that habit.

Just point out he needs to keep his hands up no need to make assumptions about his instructor.
Again I see nothing insulting about it. I'm clueless when it comes to point fighting strategy because I keep away from that side of things. Not everyone's great at everything and saying so isn't insulting. I don't understand why your so defensive about it. He's not talking about you or your kid

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed he does on the video bit forgot to mention it when he throws a sidekick when he brings it back and retreats he's almost turning his back on his opponent

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again I see nothing insulting about it. I'm clueless when it comes to point fighting strategy because I keep away from that side of things. Not everyone's great at everything and saying so isn't insulting. I don't understand why your so defensive about it. He's not talking about you or your kid

It’s just kinda irks me.

It’s a pet peeve of mine when people make blind assumptions about someone without any knowledge of that person.

OP
CB Jones

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed he does on the video bit forgot to mention it when he throws a sidekick when he brings it back and retreats he's almost turning his back on his opponent

Ok. I agree....will point that out to him.

Latest Discussions