Is your knife training teaching you about range and how to control it?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My title pretty much says it.

One of the really common things I see when people demo knife (offense or defense), even in most FMA's, is a lack of discussion about controlling range. Tim Waid, who is the head of the PTK organization I train under likes to ask "how did you get there?" when those super sweet videos are posted of people doing cool stuff with the knife.

In the video above, while you don't see much in the way of lateral movement or use of the triangle, you do see the importance of range. One should also be able to see why medium range with the knife, is so dangerous. There are ways to attack your opponent, particularly their hand, without being in position to get hit yourself. If you do go inside, get in all the way. If you are going to stay out, get out all the way. Medium range is a range to bridge through, not a place to hang out.
Yes. I teach maintaining distance until it is time to enter. Stay out, then get in, attack and finish or exit fully. If I can't finish them quickly while I'm in (if I fail to control the limb), then I get out fully and make them start over. I don't want to be in a wrestlig/grappling match with a knife-holder.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
An interesting coincidence that Doug Marcaida posted this this morning...

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10209371534221762&id=1126127758

He has some good stuff, and seems like a good guy from my limited interactions with him.

Different systems are going to define range a bit differently, but that is to be expected. The one thing I would like to see more systems talking about is not just range of the weapon in relation to your opponent or type of attack, but bridging (moving from one range to another) in and out of range. Taking one step in or out is great, and certainly has its application, but what about when you are under a full on attack and you need to get way out, or when you are attacking and you need to press the distance as your opponent is trying to get out? That is something I rarely see taught, and it is hugely important.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is largely how we operate as well. We obviously learn the ranges and how they apply to empty hand, knife, stick/sword etc but beyond the concepts it's "get foot work/zoning down first" then integrate moving between ranges.
Footwork, Footwork, Footwork. Lack of it will get you into trouble and without it you will stay in trouble.
Everyone wants to win where your mindset should be to not be there.
MOVE!
I attempt to impress my students to move first; striking in the proper position, range, and precision with power is a by-product of moving therefore footwork is the primary action.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Footwork, Footwork, Footwork. Lack of it will get you into trouble and without it you will stay in trouble.
Everyone wants to win where your mindset should be to not be there.
MOVE!
I attempt to impress my students to move first; striking in the proper position, range, and precision with power is a by-product of moving therefore footwork is the primary action.

Definitely.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

Here's another good example of how we control range through bridging footwork, this time with the knife, and also the importance of not only your movement, but forcing your opponent to move as well.