Is your knife training teaching you about range and how to control it?

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score

My title pretty much says it.

One of the really common things I see when people demo knife (offense or defense), even in most FMA's, is a lack of discussion about controlling range. Tim Waid, who is the head of the PTK organization I train under likes to ask "how did you get there?" when those super sweet videos are posted of people doing cool stuff with the knife.

In the video above, while you don't see much in the way of lateral movement or use of the triangle, you do see the importance of range. One should also be able to see why medium range with the knife, is so dangerous. There are ways to attack your opponent, particularly their hand, without being in position to get hit yourself. If you do go inside, get in all the way. If you are going to stay out, get out all the way. Medium range is a range to bridge through, not a place to hang out.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My knife training goes like this. See a knife get pulled GTFO of there

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, from day one.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't claim to be any kind of expert in using the knife or defending against it, but when I do train or teach anything related to knife work I am very focused on the importance of range.

One gripe I do have with how some FMA instructors show stuff is that they start new students out with tapping/hubud/flow drills where the students stay right in the kill zone the whole time and they don't immediately make it clear that these are just drills for developing sensitivity and reflexes to give them a chance of surviving for a few seconds in a range where you never want to spend more than a second or two when a knife is involved.

Personally I'd rather make sure the student understands the importance of controlling distance first, before they get caught up in these sort of close range drills.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't claim to be any kind of expert in using the knife or defending against it, but when I do train or teach anything related to knife work I am very focused on the importance of range.

One gripe I do have with how some FMA instructors show stuff is that they start new students out with tapping/hubud/flow drills where the students stay right in the kill zone the whole time and they don't immediately make it clear that these are just drills for developing sensitivity and reflexes to give them a chance of surviving for a few seconds in a range where you never want to spend more than a second or two when a knife is involved.

Personally I'd rather make sure the student understands the importance of controlling distance first, before they get caught up in these sort of close range drills.

Nobody trains exits.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
knives still scare the bejesus out of me. More than firearms.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

We don't begin these types of drills until after our students have a good understanding of footwork and body movement first.
Tapping,Chekete/Echekete, Break-in/Break-out, Segang Labo are all drill platforms with associated footwork and body displacement to enter, tie up and finish or to enter, break off, and egress safely.

Nobody trains exits.
Yes we do!!!

Long through medium to close range and back out to long. Never stay in medium range.
In the contradas and recontras sets the ending weapon actions are designed to keep attacking if you are able to or to keep you covered as you exit.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Movement is essential in IRT and taught from day one along with range and also Drop Bear, exits.

Tony, in reference to your quote about some FMA teachers not teaching people to move during drills. Frankly, personally I think that is lazy teaching! When I see people teaching drills where two people stand in the same place I cringe! It is specifically seen with a few guys who just learned a little bit and then went out to teach but you also see it with some seasoned people who should know better!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok. Let's see examples of exits. Because that is a major component of maintaining distance.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
It is specifically seen with a few guys who just learned a little bit and then went out to teach but you also see it with some seasoned people who should know better!

You do, and I think that is because many were never taught it in the first place. Many FMA systems don't seem to consider how to get in an out of range all that much, even those which have tactics for fighting in various ranges. I'm not sure why that is, but it is definitely something I've noticed.

OP
C

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok. Let's see examples of exits. Because that is a major component of maintaining distance.

Go from 1:30 - 3:08 in this video and you can see one of the ways we do it with both the long weapon and empty hand. We do the same thing with the knife. Much of the time (not always) this will include ranging footwork on the reverse 45 deg. angle, as is shown above. We often refer to that as the "Universal Evasion Angle", even though there are times when you wouldn't necessarily want to go that direction.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Would creating distance in order to draw a firearm be considered an "exit"?
If so then I do exits in two different ways one for firearms and one unarmed called run away

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is the stuff we do.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
We don't begin these types of drills until after our students have a good understanding of footwork and body movement first.
Tapping,Chekete/Echekete, Break-in/Break-out, Segang Labo are all drill platforms with associated footwork and body displacement to enter, tie up and finish or to enter, break off, and egress safely.

Yes we do!!!

Long through medium to close range and back out to long. Never stay in medium range.
In the contradas and recontras sets the ending weapon actions are designed to keep attacking if you are able to or to keep you covered as you exit.
This is largely how we operate as well. We obviously learn the ranges and how they apply to empty hand, knife, stick/sword etc but beyond the concepts it's "get foot work/zoning down first" then integrate moving between ranges.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My knife training goes like this. See a knife get pulled GTFO of there
That's only workable if they are far enough away that you can do so without getting stabbed in the back. If it's a knife attack, GTFO is not usually an immediate option.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's only workable if they are far enough away that you can do so without getting stabbed in the back. If it's a knife attack, GTFO is not usually an immediate option.

You beat me to it.

Latest Discussions