Is this legal in Bayarea California to carry out?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I guess the ring is out, sounds like it will hurt me more than the guy!!! But when I receive the ring, I still will try punching the pole and see.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm pretty sure they would fair better. Lets put it to a test. Say the guy in the picture is Asian. Imagine that you are the thugs that you try to prepare yourself against. When you look at this guy, do you really think you will be attacking that guy while he's with the dog? What's the first thought in your mind. Worry about the man? or Worry about the dog? lol

View attachment 27708

I would like to have a dog like this, but I hear they are very territorial. I had a smaller dog that was like that and she wouldn't hesitate to attack guests. I couldn't manage a larger version of that same behavior.
Honestly, pitbulls have a horrid reputation, but are really sweet dogs. This makes them great for deterring attacks, all while making the home cuddly. I think they are a missed opportunity for folks who want protection. Of course, if you want real protection, something like a malinois or GSD, or even a mastiff.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess the ring is out, sounds like it will hurt me more than the guy!!! But when I receive the ring, I still will try punching the pole and see.
let us know how it goes

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I still have the ring. It’s bent and unwearable. Finger healed fine, though.
Same here. I was sprinting to get away from a pissed off cow and jumped a fence at full speed. Cleared the fence fine (back when I was fast :) ) but the ring caught on the top strand of wire. With my finger/hand/arm stuck to the fence, the momentum of my body whipped my back toward the fence. The finger took all the force and broke. Hurt like a b***h.
The ring twisted, getting stuck in the fence. We ended up having to cut the ring at the skinny end to free it (and my finger) from the fence. The shape or the ring was very deformed when it was all over.
I took the ring to a local jeweler and he done a fantastic job repairing the ring.
It was a ring given to me in 1993 by the then President of MDK (GM Chon, Jae Kyu). It is stored away in a ring box. I have seen it in years. Think I will go dig it out.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I
Honestly, pitbulls have a horrid reputation, but are really sweet dogs. This makes them great for deterring attacks, all while making the home cuddly. I think they are a missed opportunity for folks who want protection. Of course, if you want real protection, something like a malinois or GSD, or even a mastiff.
I have 2 pit bulls. They are worthless for a protection dog, but I love them dearly. They like everyone. Even cats they don’t know. I do believe they would protect me from stray dogs or raccoons buts that’s about it. People do cross the street because they are intimidating to look at.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I

I have 2 pit bulls. They are worthless for a protection dog, but I love them dearly. They like everyone. Even cats they don’t know. I do believe they would protect me from stray dogs or raccoons buts that’s about it. People do cross the street because they are intimidating to look at.
Yep. That's pitties for you. Most are worthless for protection, because if anyone gets close enough to be bitten, the dog is too busy begging for pets. Mine just goes belly-up.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am not a dog person, When I saw "White Shepherd", I thought that means a white man, and what is shepherd has to do with it. Never even related that to a dog!!!

Didn't realize you guys all have dogs.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I

I think that's all you need with dogs. If they can shift the the thoughts of a criminal from "robbing you" to "being more concerned about your dogs" then your dogs would have done the work of protecting you. Some people are terrified of dogs. Just think if this guy wants to fight you then just bring a puppy lol.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think that's all you need with dogs. If they can shift the the thoughts of a criminal from "robbing you" to "being more concerned about your dogs" then your dogs would have done the work of protecting you. Some people are terrified of dogs. Just think if this guy wants to fight you then just bring a puppy lol.

Too true. People are almost always afraid of my dogs, unless they own or know a pit bull, in which case they come right up and pet them and tell me about theirs.

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not a dog person, When I saw "White Shepherd", I thought that means a white man, and what is shepherd has to do with it. Never even related that to a dog!!!

Didn't realize you guys all have dogs.
How much is it to buy a white man these days to shepherd me around town? Probably more if I want walk him on leash and collar.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK, I got those rings:

Spike rings.jpg

The one with 3 spikes is USELESS, never even get to the pole test. If the ring turn a little, the spike will hurt your next finger, don't even need to do punching pole. This one is OUT.

The one on the right with two big spike is more promising. I punching the pole lightly, it's not too bad. I am not going to punch the bag for obvious reason, I don't want to ruin the bag. I think one might get use to it like you get use to punching pole. But I am not going to spend time just to see.

One way that might be useful, turn the spike around to the palm side. Use it for slapping and rubbing on the face of the opponent:

Spike ring slapping.jpg

I tried punching the heavy bag, occasionally it does prick my palm, but it's not too bad. I definitely can punch. BUT, is it that useful, I'll let you guys think about it. It sure can hurt if you push against the opponent's face or slap on the back of the head. You can still punch without seriously injure your hand.

That's my impression, all in all, I would NOT say it is useless, question is whether it is that useful slapping and rubbing on the face of the opponent.

Surprisingly, it does not interfere with me when I swing to cane with two hands. So far, it's ok. That would be a no go if it interferes with my cane fight as I regard my cane is my primary self defense weapon.

AND NO!!! I refuse to worry about making the guy angrier using the ring, just let him beat me up with submission and hope he will be kinder.

Last edited:

Wing Woo Gar

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, I got those rings:

View attachment 27729

The one with 3 spikes is USELESS, never even get to the pole test. If the ring turn a little, the spike will hurt your next finger, don't even need to do punching pole. This one is OUT.

The one on the right with two big spike is more promising. I punching the pole lightly, it's not too bad. I am not going to punch the bag for obvious reason, I don't want to ruin the bag. I think one might get use to it like you get use to punching pole. But I am not going to spend time just to see.

One way that might be useful, turn the spike around to the palm side. Use it for slapping and rubbing on the face of the opponent:

View attachment 27730

I tried punching the heavy bag, occasionally it does prick my palm, but it's not too bad. I definitely can punch. BUT, is it that useful, I'll let you guys think about it. It sure can hurt if you push against the opponent's face or slap on the back of the head. You can still punch without seriously injure your hand.

That's my impression, all in all, I would NOT say it is useless, question is whether it is that useful slapping and rubbing on the face of the opponent.

Surprisingly, it does not interfere with me when I swing to cane with two hands. So far, it's ok. That would be a no go if it interferes with my cane fight as I regard my cane is my primary self defense weapon.

AND NO!!! I refuse to worry about making the guy angrier using the ring, just let him beat me up with submission and hope he will be kinder.
Are you sure you don’t want to just have me shepherd you around?

Latest Discussions