Is this a Wing Chun punch?

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Both of which are seeded into the forms...

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
But what's the difference?

As was said already but I will use a different description. When I put my hip into a strike, that side of my body is moving forward, towards my target. If I put my waist into it, I am also rotating "across" my target. In short it's the difference between maintaining the centerline principle or having my strike cross my centerline.

As for another response, the hip is the waist. Anyone who has ever watched a woman get custom fitted for a dress or pants knows there is a difference between a waist and a hip measurement.

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, it is a Wing Chun punch which is being shown in this video.

Ryan_

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hard to say.

Video blocked on copyright grounds.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Couldn't see the video, but...

1. Wing Tsun has many punches, not just one.
2. There are many ways to apply the techniques. As you get into the higher levels, you will realize that "always" and "never" do not exist when referring to application.
3. Every lineage has a different way of expressing the system. Every Si-fu and student has their own way of interpreting the material that's presented to them.
4. Before you can break or bend the rules to your will, you must first learn the rules. A lot of concepts that are taught early on to beginners are just training wheels while you are reprogramming your body.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are many ways to apply the techniques. As you get into the higher levels, you will realize that "always" and "never" do not exist when referring to application.
Yep...as my sifu often states; "there's no right or wrong, there's only the consequence."

Every lineage has a different way of expressing the system. Every Si-fu and student has their own way of interpreting the material that's presented to them.

A lot of concepts that are taught early on to beginners are just training wheels while you are reprogramming your body.
Hmm...I think the concepts remain. However, a lot of the drills are performed specifically with certain rules for a reprogramming of sorts.
In time some of the rules are done away with and a freedom of expression is allowed.

Many, unfortunately never get to that point and some attempt to get there far to soon.

Latest Discussions