Discussion of Wing Chun Chain Punch

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's been awhile since I've made a video, but wanted to disuss something I never put to video which is very basic but also talk about it in a bit more detail. So this video is on the Wing Chun Chain Punch which is my approach to it..

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Hey Futsao! Been a while, thanks for the video.

Interestingly, the Yip Man WC chain-punching I learned from Leung Ting was also very relaxed, but opposite yours in that when I first met him, I used to punch simultaneously pulling back the retreating hand much as you show in the video. He made us deliberately unlearn that habit and focus on the "yang" punching hand, and not pulling back the "yin" withdrawing hand until the punch had fully crossed the bridge ...much like the delayed withdrawal you mentioned toward the end of your clip. That was exactly what he wanted us to train!

The main reason he stated for punching this way (without forcefully withdrawing our punch) was that we should never withdraw energy into ourselves, as that offered our opponent a chance to follow the energy back into our center. The push-pull method you advocate reminds me more of a more relaxed and on-centerline equivalent to the push-pull punch of karate. I imagine you have had good success with it, but it would not integrate well into the "WT" system I learned.

OP
futsaowingchun

futsaowingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish I had more time to make videos but with my job makes it very difficult. .that's the reason I made the video cuz in know I do it differently then most...the methond and application is the same, so if I did a Lop da on you I pull then punch not punch and pull
. The pulling hand powers the Punching hand.same as a picher winds up his body to thow the ball..he does not throw the ball the wind up the body..

Latest Discussions