Is there such a thing as dirty fighting?

D

Deleted member 39746

Depends where you live and the culture of the place if something is considered dirty and of your sex as well.

I recall kicking being looked on as a kind of unsporting thing in England for a period of time, at least by respectable people.

I think general gentleman's rules is for a street fight don't go below the belt. i think thats pretty universal across most cultures.

Its quite a deep subject which really depends on your social class, what country you live in and where and which culture you hold onto and the one of the ones around you.

and then if you grow up with a kill or be killed mentality nothing will be dirty to you so you wont have said concept to view your fighting as dirty.

Addendum: and yes crowds do intervene when a unspoken rule of fighting is broken semi often. especially if they know the persons fighting.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends where you live and the culture of the place if something is considered dirty and of your sex as well.

I recall kicking being looked on as a kind of unsporting thing in England for a period of time, at least by respectable people.

I think general gentleman's rules is for a street fight don't go below the belt. i think thats pretty universal across most cultures.

Its quite a deep subject which really depends on your social class, what country you live in and where and which culture you hold onto and the one of the ones around you.

and then if you grow up with a kill or be killed mentality nothing will be dirty to you so you wont have said concept to view your fighting as dirty.

Addendum: and yes crowds do intervene when a unspoken rule of fighting is broken semi often. especially if they know the persons fighting.
Lol I worked security and doors in nightclubs in the uk for a very long time and worked in different areas of uk and trust me there is no such as gentleman Rules and kicking has certainly always happened in fights.

There are no rules in street fights plain and simple

As for sex...well just take a look at YouTube women fights they certain ain't playing by any rules or code of honour

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As door security or bouncers as we used to call them, blab on about how many fights or incidents they had in the 80's and 90's, as I recall it was sober late 20's early 30's gym goers, bouncing drunk 18 -25 year old out of a club, and usually team handed, so I would disagree you counting this as legit fight experience.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
As door security or bouncers as we used to call them, blab on about how many fights or incidents they had in the 80's and 90's, as I recall it was sober late 20's early 30's gym goers, bouncing drunk 18 -25 year old out of a club, and usually team handed, so I would disagree you counting this as legit fight experience.
I don't need to "blab" on about anything I know what I saw and did and if you don't believe me I really don't care

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not belittling all doorman, just most, I knew a couple who were good people, but for the most part not, we had 1 bouncer used to carry a snooker ball in a sock, yes I am sure you met some idiots, but in my day, the crap bouncers pulled, made their counterparts targets.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not belittling all doorman, just most, I knew a couple who were good people, but for the most part not, we had 1 bouncer used to carry a snooker ball in a sock, yes I am sure you met some idiots, but in my day, the crap bouncers pulled, made their counterparts targets.
In my experience The only people who have any issues with doormen are the idiots who cause trouble sooo

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In my experience The only people who have any issues with doormen are the idiots who cause trouble sooo

Pmsl, I only ever had a couple of run ins with doorman, I learnt the effects of alcohol on performance very early in life, I knew the MO, of doorman, so avoided the hyper inflated ego's

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Pmsl, I only ever had a couple of run ins with doorman, I learnt the effects of alcohol on performance very early in life, I knew the MO, of doorman, so avoided the hyper inflated ego's
Uh huh

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I worked a lot of doors in my day. Interesting job. I watched a lot of doormen, too, several of my best friends own successful nightclubs and sports bars. This span is from the seventies to the present.

Never saw a doorman cause a problem. Saw a few folks trying to come in cause a lot of problems.

It's not exactly rocket science trying to enter any business with a doorman. Just wear the appropriate attire, pay the cover if there is one, and behave.

No owner of an establishment will allow doormen to turn away people for no reason, or to get into problems with them. That costs owners money. Owners do not like things that cost them money.

If you're going to a place with bad doormen, you should be going some place else.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I worked a lot of doors in my day. Interesting job. I watched a lot of doormen, too, several of my best friends own successful nightclubs and sports bars. This span is from the seventies to the present.

Never saw a doorman cause a problem. Saw a few folks trying to come in cause a lot of problems.

It's not exactly rocket science trying to enter any business with a doorman. Just wear the appropriate attire, pay the cover if there is one, and behave.

No owner of an establishment will allow doormen to turn away people for no reason, or to get into problems with them. That costs owners money. Owners do not like things that cost them money.

If you're going to a place with bad doormen, you should be going some place else.
Agreed. I'm not saying there weren't a holes who enjoyed fighting but they were very few and far between. I mean yeah sometimes you had to be a bit rough when you're dealing with 5 or 6 drunk or drugged up guys with glass bottles in their hands and pool cues and bar stools and potentially knives but I never saw anyone go to the extremes with it. I mean okay I didn't work in the worst of the worst clubs but I've had people threaten me with bottles and pool cues and one say he was gonna cut my throat later so yeah

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score

Also the only people I ever saw complain about doorman brutality are the ones who got agressvive and tried to fight a doorman and got thrown out and embarrassed in front of their mates and their girlfriends. In fact a lot of people who left clubs I worked out said thank you to me and my colleagues. I'm not saying there's not some who take it to far but it's a high pressure job where either you're at risk or someone else is at risk who you are respsobile to help if there's trouble in your club

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
@Buka , I respect your comment, and are sure this is an accurate explanation in your part of the world, but in England, I am afraid the doorman until recently were not that professional, I never went looking for trouble with these guys, but where I was bought up, 2/3 of the doorman where not professional, of course I can only recall my personal experiences.

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also the only people I ever saw complain about doorman brutality are the ones who got agressvive and tried to fight a doorman and got thrown out and embarrassed in front of their mates and their girlfriends. In fact a lot of people who left clubs I worked out said thank you to me and my colleagues. I'm not saying there's not some who take it to far but it's a high pressure job where either you're at risk or someone else is at risk who you are respsobile to help if there's trouble in your club

Only had a couple of incidents with doorman, and not when they were working

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Buka , I respect your comment, and are sure this is an accurate explanation in your part of the world, but in England, I am afraid the doorman until recently were not that professional, I never went looking for trouble with these guys, but where I was bought up, 2/3 of the doorman where not professional, of course I can only recall my personal experiences.

I respect yours as well, my friend. And to clarify something, I mentioned I "watched" a lot of doormen. For a couple of years I worked as a "spotter". A spotter was somebody who was hired by management to frequent the club and surreptitiously watch bartenders, waitresses, bouncers and doorman to see if they were stealing, dealing or doing anything else illegal or bad for business.

It wasn't a big deal if they were letting in a few friends without paying a cover charge, the owners didn't care. But if the friends caused problems, that was not good.

It was kind of boring when everything was on the up and up, but the pay was okay and the visuals usually interesting.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had several incidences with doormen when I was on temp assignments to England in 73-74-75. Hell I even went back looking for them. Of course it wasn't their fault I went in or attempted to enter as an idiot under the influence of alcohol. Funny thing about alcohol induced behavior...it carries over from one pub to another. Even from a nice meal at a restaurant to a pub.

Those experiences allowed me to have some good experiences as a doorman for the short time I did such work. Working the door the only problems I ever saw another doorman have was with the 'like me idiots...the ones under the influence of alcohol'.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I offer this as a friendly thought: this sounds like confirmation bias doing its thing.

Latest Discussions