is there any type of art in which...

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is there any martial art or arts that have moves which you perform while standing on your hand? Any other than Capoeira

Last edited:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't think of any other that does it to nearly that extent. Old-style French Savate had some techniques where you braced a hand on the floor as part of a kick, and there are isolated acrobatic techniques here and there.

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can't think of any other that does it to nearly that extent. Old-style French Savate had some techniques where you braced a hand on the floor as part of a kick, and there are isolated acrobatic techniques here and there.

oh thanks :) it would be pretty cool if you could fight on your hands and feet XD

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most people can't even fight using just their hands , let alone using them to balance on and fight with their feet.

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Most people can't even fight using just their hands , let alone using them to balance on and fight with their feet.

i wish there was :( but Capoeira has moves in which you get on your hands

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm surprised at you guys! Don't you watch movies? They do that in most all the Chinese movies, so Kung Fu must be the one. :lol2:

I am not all that familiar with Capoeira, but I don't think even they do it as you seem to imply. I think they use their hands to set up speed of a kick, or to lower the expectation of an attack by the feet. It sounds like you are looking for an art that teaches you to balance on your hands and fight with your feet. That would be a feat. :lol2:

As mentioned by arnisador, some arts use the hands for increasing the sturdiness of a kick, that is, to allow more power since you don't really have to concentrate on one foot balance while delivering the kick. We had several kicks like that in the Hapkido I studied. We also learned defenses from some attacks while sitting or laying on the ground, but those were advanced techniques. I think perhaps BJJ may do that as well as some of the offshoots of Hapkido.

OP
H

Hamza

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised at you guys! Don't you watch movies? They do that in most all the Chinese movies, so Kung Fu must be the one. :lol2:I am not all that familiar with Capoeira, but I don't think even they do it as you seem to imply. I think they use their hands to set up speed of a kick, or to lower the expectation of an attack by the feet. It sounds like you are looking for an art that teaches you to balance on your hands and fight with your feet. That would be a feat. :lol2:As mentioned by arnisador, some arts use the hands for increasing the sturdiness of a kick, that is, to allow more power since you don't really have to concentrate on one foot balance while delivering the kick. We had several kicks like that in the Hapkido I studied. We also learned defenses from some attacks while sitting or laying on the ground, but those were advanced techniques. I think perhaps BJJ may do that as well as some of the offshoots of Hapkido.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
There are some techniques from a hand stand in Capoeira, but it's mostly transitional. You might find some in Monkey style kung fu, if you can find a good, traditional instructor:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions