Is there a rig for a heavy bag I can take camping?

MrX

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello!

I am living as a camp host out of various state parks and I want to continue training, but the nearest gym is over an hour away. I just want a heavy bag set up with some mats around it that I can take with me in the camper and set up at my new campsite. I keep hearing that getting a stand for a heavy bag is a big No-No because it limits the amount that you can move, but I don't know if that's such a big deal because some training is better than none. Ideally it would be nice to have some kind of portable bar or something I can hang it from that would be stable enough to not get knocked around while still leaving me enough room to move around the bag. Because I don't have to pay rent and I don't have to pay utilities all I have is my $250 a month car payment and gas, money isn't really that much of an issue for me. I tried Googling it but maybe I wasn't using the right Search terms because it was all the same s*** that kept popping up over and over and over again. I mean you would think that it wouldn't be that hard to get a welder and some stainless steel heavy gauge tubing to weld together an extra beefy and wide pull-up bar with a really beefy and wide pair of feet. Alas, my welding expertise and equipment at the moment is sorely lacking because I'm doing this all out of a camper in the middle of the desert. I want to get a good workout in on the heavy bag, practice some shooting nothing too fancy just a bit of conditioning and technique drills and footwork.

Are there trees around? If so get a ratchet strap, a heavy duty one like used to tie down loads on a trailer. Loop it around a couple of trees, ratchet it tight and hang your bag from it. 5 minute setup. A double end bag would also be an easy setup and you won't have to worry about supporting so much weight.

Right now there are trees around, but in a week I am going to be moving out to the desert where there ain't nothing but sagebrush.

Take your 50 lb dumbbell with your vacation doesn't sound like a proper thing to do.

When I travel, I used to bring my Karate bell. It's light weight and can train for strength.

Back