Is there a relationship between Kung Fu and Yoga?

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I start Yoga when I was 15. I studied for a year before coming back to the states.
I continue practicing the yoga I had learn, because I just liked it.
I think it was helpful in not getting injured in sports and when I was injured I recover fast.
I also found it helpful in my first MA.
When I started studying Kung Fu , My Yoga real seem to fit together with Kung Fu.
A lot of the principles were the same just used a different way.
Example: Standing in horse stance for a long period. The breathing was the same.
Being able to focus and not feel the pain of being in the horse stance.
There is a lot of knowledge on this website.
What is your opinion on a relationship between Kung Fu and Yoga?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As a Yoga instructor used to tell me, "Yoga is a word from Sanskrit that has several defintions. While the most common is "to unite" another definition is discipline".

Maybe they're related in that way.

D

Deleted member 39746

Somewhat. Some Kung fu people do incorporate yoga with their training and teaching, yoga generally fits most martial arts as it generally covers one of the health factors you need. that being good posture and range of motion and flexibility.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I start Yoga when I was 15. I studied for a year before coming back to the states.
I think it was helpful in not getting injured in sports and when I was injured I recover fast.
When I started studying Kung Fu , My Yoga real seem to fit together with Kung Fu.
Example: Standing in horse stance for a long period. The breathing was the same.
though yoga may or not have ancient roots, much of yoga as practised in the west, is a 20th century invention that bears little resemblance to ancient practises, that makes a connection between yoga and king fu, also a 20th century invention, geographically unlikely. other than both tend to misslead on their history to suggest they are " ancient"

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 13 Tai Bao standing postures were trained during the ancient time to enhance certain MA techniques.

Chang-13-Taibu.jpg

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know a few yogic postures are very similar to karate ones, I've seen forward stance, back stance, horse stance all in yoga.

I've incorporated a bit of yoga stuff alongside karate and found it very beneficial! Helped to sort out a few imbalances.

Didn't answer the question at all I realise haha, but it seems there is some slight relation... and it may depend on the school/lineage as to how deeply they go into the postures as they do in yoga, and what they emphasise.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know a few yogic postures are very similar to karate ones, I've seen forward stance, back stance, horse stance all in yoga.

I've incorporated a bit of yoga stuff alongside karate and found it very beneficial! Helped to sort out a few imbalances.

Didn't answer the question at all I realise haha, but it seems there is some slight relation... and it may depend on the school/lineage as to how deeply they go into the postures as they do in yoga, and what they emphasise.
as both karate and yoga arrived in the west at much the same time, there may be some copying going on, but more likely its an example of convergent evolution, they both developed the same poses as those poses are effective

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

I look at Yoga and Kung Fu as complimentary and not so much related. However the question is, how do you define Yoga and how are you defining Kung Fu?

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
I look at Yoga and Kung Fu as complimentary and not so much related. However the question is, how do you define Yoga and how are you defining Kung Fu?

I like your answer best.

In the Yoga I was taught to focus your mind. That your mind was like a wild horse that need to be train.
The first metal exercise was to focus on a candle flame. Then close our eyes and see the flame. Try to see the flame as long as possible
When your mind would become distracted slow bring your mind back to the flame.
The second exercise was to focus on relaxing one toe at time and move up the body.

Kung Fu, When standing in a horse stance humming. I could focus my mind on breathing and the humming, not on the pain in my legs.

Was the horse stance just for strengthening my legs or was it to improve my ability to endure pain and focus on keeping the right posture.?

The Yoga training help focus my mind to hold postures for long periods. So I guess Yoga complimented the Kung Fu.

OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
The 13 Tai Bao standing postures were trained during the ancient time to enhance certain MA techniques.

Chang-13-Taibu.jpg
The postures in the picture are similar but not the same as we perform.

Example we perform figure H, with our arm in with one above the other hands flat.

Last edited:

wooden man

White Belt
Reaction score
If you are interested in a connection between gong fu and yoga I'd suggest reading up on Boddhidharma, an Indian prince who travelled to China in the 6th century ending up at the Shaolin temple where he's credited with introducing Chan buddhism.
Story goes he planted seeds of gong fu through a series of movements and exercises he taught the monks to improve their meditation.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAfegQIChAB&usg=AOvVaw0jSG4bN3V0zLCZmfDDgbrx

VPT

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you are interested in a connection between gong fu and yoga I'd suggest reading up on Boddhidharma, an Indian prince who travelled to China in the 6th century ending up at the Shaolin temple where he's credited with introducing Chan buddhism.
Story goes he planted seeds of gong fu through a series of movements and exercises he taught the monks to improve their meditation.

Bodhidharma inventing gongfu/wushu/Shaolin boxing is a myth invented during the late Ming dynasty era of syncretism by influence of Daoism. Instead, the monks originally revered Bodhisattva Vajrapani both as the origin of their martial arts (i.e. cane fighting) as well as the protector deity of their temple.

wooden man

White Belt
Reaction score
Seems I have some reading of my own to do ! ( Although in my defence I did say it was a story ;) )

Parzival

Green Belt
Reaction score
I mean they come from the same lineage so if they had a relationship it would kinda be weird. Just saying...

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Somewhat. Some Kung fu people do incorporate yoga with their training and teaching, yoga generally fits most martial arts as it generally covers one of the health factors you need. that being good posture and range of motion and flexibility.

I have an old book on Shaolin. It puts forth that the form of exercise practiced by the monks was basically yoga, and that over time, as various exiled or hiding military officers would be there, they would teach fighting techniques to the monks so that they would be more suited to assisting with the protection of those they sheltered.

The monks, over time, formalized the techniques and integrated the alignment and breathing elements of yoga into the movements taught by their guests, creating what we refer to generally as “Kung fu.”

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have an old book on Shaolin. It puts forth that the form of exercise practiced by the monks was basically yoga, and that over time, as various exiled or hiding military officers would be there, they would teach fighting techniques to the monks so that they would be more suited to assisting with the protection of those they sheltered.

The monks, over time, formalized the techniques and integrated the alignment and breathing elements of yoga into the movements taught by their guests, creating what we refer to generally as “Kung fu.”
ewhat a complete load of tosh

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yoga + karate... I call it... yogarate :)

Did a session alternating between sun salutations (a yoga sequence), and ido geiko combinations.

Whether there's a link or not I can't say, but I tell ya what, they compliment each other greatly.. everything certainly felt alot more connected and flowed better during the ido geiko

I do know Shihan Cameron Quinn speaks alot of the link between yoga and karate in his book, will have to go back and read that

58030e4808dc3dcaffd05a212e4d017d.jpg
3cfad30850f7cd670ae51bc4c16cb755.jpg
af7943edff3f262c5a9611b7ab22d5c2.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B

Bruce7

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yoga + karate... I call it... yogarate :)

Did a session alternating between sun salutations (a yoga sequence), and ido geiko combinations.

Whether there's a link or not I can't say, but I tell ya what, they compliment each other greatly.. everything certainly felt alot more connected and flowed better during the ido geiko

I do know Shihan Cameron Quinn speaks alot of the link between yoga and karate in his book, will have to go back and read that

58030e4808dc3dcaffd05a212e4d017d.jpg
3cfad30850f7cd670ae51bc4c16cb755.jpg
af7943edff3f262c5a9611b7ab22d5c2.jpg
I agree 100%. For me it puts my mind in the right place.

Latest Discussions