Is Kenpo mainstream?

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tonight I was browsing in several large chain bookstores. As I looked through the martial arts sections, I found many books related to traditional arts (Karate-do, Taekwon do, Aikido, Judo, Kung Fu, etc.), plus several on BJJ and MMA. However, there were NO books on Kenpo. Even most of the "overview" books that I saw barely mentioned it, if at all. The closest I found was the book Lethal Karate Strikes (I think that's the title) by Brian Adams, written for his black belt thesis at the encouragement of Mr. Parker.

Does anyone know the reason for this? There are many excellent Kenpo authors out there, and their books are, to me at least, as good as any other martial arts books I've read! The theories and principles they expound can be applied to any art. Even Mr. Parker's II books seem as though they should enjoy more widespread popularity.

Do you consider Kenpo to be 'mainstream?' It seems like it should be, especially here in the US of A where it was developed. Yet rarely do I speak to one of the 'unlearned minions' who has ever heard of it.

What are your thoughts??

JB

Seabrook

Black Belt
Reaction score
As someone who has published two books, one specific to American Kenpo, and the other a general book for martial artists, I can answer this question two ways.

(1) It is generally very difficult to get a book sold by major book stores. In addition, the bookstores want a major cut from the publisher if they are to take some stock of the books. Sometimes the cut that they want is too high, and it turns out that you would really make diddly anyway.

(2) Many Kenpoists that have published books have self-published. This means that they have opted to not go through a "traditional publisher." This makes the likelihood of getting these books in bookstores that much more difficult.

The other thing to consider is that Kenpoists that have written books can often make more money by simply selling them at seminars or through their students. The reason is because they don't have to sacrifice a large percentage of the return to a traditional publisher.

When one of my books is sold on Amazon for instance, I only make a dollar and change per purchase. Conversely, I make a lot more when sold at my seminars.

Hope that helps.

Jamie Seabrook
www.seabrook.gotkenpo.com

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if it's mainstream or upstream where the hardy salmon swim. Anecdotally: I wore a kenpo shirt to work one Saturday and a guy I hadn't talked to before struck up a conversation about Martial Arts. He said he had a BB in TKD and that he had started in Kenpo once, but it was too difficult to learn the material. He had nothing but praise and good things to say about kenpo, though.

Kenpo takes effort to learn and effort to become proficient. I'm not sure everyone wants to put forth the effort.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In terms of actual numbers and potential sales, Kenpo is probably not really up there. Many, many martial artist have never heard of Kenpo, beleive it or not. So if martial artist is the sub-set, you can imagine the general public. Without statistical info I can only guess, but the numbers probably went up with the Perfect Weapon making onto HBO or TBS, I just cannot say how high up they went.

-Michael

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
There aren't enough books about Kenpo!!! I seriously believe that. There ARE some very good ones, but the number of them.... very few.

Your Brother
John

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, not really.

Karate has the movies

TKD and Judo have the Olympics

Boxing / kickboxing are huge

Ninja's rock :D

The Ultimate Fighter is bringing MMA out.

Kung fu movies are everywhere.

All kenpo has is Elvis... and I'd imagine most people would say "karate" not "kenpo" if asked about it...

Bookstores carry stuff that appeals to a wide range of people, basically this means stuff with "Bruce Lee" on the cover, begins with "Idiots guide too..." or promises invincibility after reading.

BJJ books also make the list cause grappling is a interest of martial artists that have no background, as well as some UFC fans.

Tai Chi, chi qong, etc appeal to those looking for health.

But as long as the "You can't learn from a book" and developing of specialized stuff that only interests people of the same style attitude dominate MA, instructional books will not go "mainstream"

OP
thesensei

thesensei

Green Belt
Reaction score
Interesting posts. They basically follow along the lines that I was thinking. It's too bad - Kenpo is such a practical and interesting system!

So, who's gonna take the challenge and write a practical, "How to," Beginner's Guide to Kenpo?? ;->

BTW, most modern Elvis fans don't even realize how much Elvis was into MA unless they're REALLY fans! (NOTE: I am speaking of the younger generation, not those who "were there."

For the proliferation of Kenpo,
JB

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo is not really mainstream... For instance... You can find lots of EPAK on the East Coast, and West Coast. However when you start getting into the midwest, EPAK Kenpo schools are few and/or far between... For instance, if I wanted to get quality, or even perhaps, substandard training, I would have to think seriously of treks to Wichita, Kansas (Sibok Kelly), or Chicago (Names I don't honestly remember.

Otherwise the main options here in Missouri are either extremely expensive Tracy schools, or garage/basement instructors (much like myself)...

Further, when you get out of the subset of civilization known as martial artists, there is a definite tendency to see blank stares when you mention Kenpo. I had this brought home to me one day when I was talking to a friend of mine out in Los Angeles (not a martial artist), and when I asked if she had ever heard of SGM Parker.... Dead air space. :idunno:

For the most part, Kenpo is probably a definite subset of martial arts that, while it often causes much ado and firing off of point counterpoint conversations on the forums, does not do to much to prick the consciousness of non-martial artists.

The old Tracy schools used to have the Kenpo, and underneath it in smaller letters, "Judo", so that folks would know it wasn't a restaurant. :lookie:

R

rmcrobertson

The "Beginner's Guide," was actually written some time ago--get hold of Mr. Parker's early pamphlets; get hold of Larry Tatum's, "Confidence: A Child's First Weapon."

kenpo_cory

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I know here in the mississippi and louisiana area hardly anyone has heard of kenpo. I found one school around here in Slidell I think and its Tracy's. I too wore my kenpo shirt to work and 1 guy knew what it was but he was from cali. Tae kwon do, tang soo do, and traditional karate schools however are on every corner here. Man I wish I woulda never left the northwest :(

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
, I would have to think seriously of treks to Wichita, Kansas (Sibok Kelly), or Chicago (Names I don't honestly remember.

Man, I'm hurt. I've bee in wisconsin for years. Having the expense of flying teachers in and this is what I hear!!!:idunno:
Of course, I'm kind upper midwest

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had been in TKD for 3 years before I even heard of Kenpo let alone practiced it. I still run into people that dont know what kenpo is, ironically I had Bart Vale's academy and Henry Collado's Academy, not to mention Tom Dunne's Academy within close proximity of my house at the time.

M

Mark Weiser

For those in the or near the Kansas City Kansas area. I just found per chance a 7th Degree Black under Larry Tatum's Association in Kansas City

Here is his contact information. I will be attending on Mon and Wed Nights See ya there. The School is only 5 minutes away from Kansas City Community College where I will be attending school alongside the Mrs. for RN.

TENDOU MARTIAL ARTS ACADEMY

4749 Parallel Pkwy Suite E

Kansas City, KS 66104

913 596-9700 Cell: 913 302-6492

Sincerely,
Mark E. Weiser

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Personally I am quite glad that Kenpo isn't truly mainstream, I like to be something nobody has heard of, it can stimulate some interesting conversations, for instance a work colleague of mine, per chance, found out that I study Kenpo, looked it up in a huge "Encylopædia of Sports" and claimed that it didn't exist... I personally found that quite amusing