Is it ok for a Shidoshi to create his own rules?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If I'm going to someone else's class (in Japan for instance), or attending some other instructor's seminar, I always bring the full uwagi and adjust to what that instructor and his own students are wearing. Likewise, if we bring in an instructor from elsewhere for a seminar, I expect my own students who may attend to bring the whole kit & caboodle and similarly adjust to that instructor's comfort level.

A core concept of ninjutsu is being able to "fit in", after all. . .

Absolutely Dale,

Fitting in and being respectful based on what another teacher expects is an excellent approach.
icon6.gif

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Isn't it bizarre really how we dress up in all that gear?

Keikogi are, and always have been, basically a reinforced or tougher version of Japanese traditional everyday clothing or undergarments, and very little adaptation to the techniques would have been required once they were back in kimono, i.e where to grab and use of lapels, sleeves and obi of an attacker.

But modern clothing, in Japan and the rest of the world, bears very little resemblance to keikogi, which should probably more resemble jeans and casualwear if the same adaptability is desirable. I guess it's about tradition and preserving the historical as much as anything.

Olympic judo would look very odd if the participants wore jeans and denim jackets or canvas facsimilies of business suits!

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
True to some point. In Genbukan, the dress code is strict. Personally I think it is a good idea though. It is one of the ways to instill structure in a relatively large group of people.

And one of the things is the traditionalist aspect. In order to learn some of the traditional forms, the gi is required to be able to do so. More to the point: the forms that require a gi can easily be translated to leather jackets or business suit. Ergo the gi is still useful, as are the forms requiring it.

ElfTengu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
More to the point: the forms that require a gi can easily be translated to leather jackets or business suit. Ergo the gi is still useful, as are the forms requiring it.

It's not all Marlon Brando or George Michael. Getting a grip on this is a lot harder than getting hold of someone's gi (especially with my natural padding making it even tighter!)

http://images.onlinecommercegroup.com/images/medium/leather-jacket-sample.jpg

or this equally leathery surface:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_0LErihJE5u8/R5KS2iArikI/AAAAAAAAAPI/NqRErklbebc/s320/ken-shamrock.jpg

Latest Discussions