Iron Rings 2

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just read a previous thread Re: the price of a good set of iron rings. Now I remember in my Southern Mantis days I was just starting to dabble in using these iron rings from time to time. Mainly during forms. I have heard a few reasons for their actual use. Ranging from increasing strength, to enduring pain/breaking past the pain barrier to gain focus, and to help achieve good form. What are they actually used for? Are they used in all Kung Fu systems? The previous post just got me thinking. I always remember people I spoke to had different ideas on their actual uses....

HG1

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just read a previous thread Re: the price of a good set of iron rings. Now I remember in my Southern Mantis days I was just starting to dabble in using these iron rings from time to time. Mainly during forms. I have heard a few reasons for their actual use. Ranging from increasing strength, to enduring pain/breaking past the pain barrier to gain focus, and to help achieve good form. What are they actually used for? Are they used in all Kung Fu systems? The previous post just got me thinking. I always remember people I spoke to had different ideas on their actual uses....

I guess you could say they are used for all of the above.

From my experience rings develop strength within a particular movement. The rings give a moving resistance that can't be duplicated with hand weights. They can be hard on the shoulder/rotator cuff, so build up the number & force used gradually.

ChukaSifu2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Another reason we would use them in SPM system is for timing and speed training, as well as strenghth and form.

OP
meth18au

meth18au

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How did you use them for timing and speed training? We always did them with very controlled movements, because, as HG1 said, they can be very hard on the shoulder/rotator cuffs.

I don't actually use them anymore- I don't know how suited they are in my current training...They were good fun though!!! :)

ChukaSifu2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
we use them for timing and speed training by pulling back after you punch outward before the ring hits. as you punch out, all the rings move forward - spring back as the last one is moving forward, repeat opposite for backward motions. This is what we use to teach the spring style of hits associated with our mantis system. it also will work your conditioning(from pinching the skin as they slam together) and strenght(from adding additional rings). Someone said you could use hand weights, but that is not going to give the same result as rings if trained right.

Latest Discussions