how practical is southern mantis?

T

thor6

I was just wondering if anyone has actually used southern mantis in anykind of self defense situation?How practical is it? I have always had an interest in it, but I am into more modern combative arts.Not so much into traditional arts that take along time to train in before you can use it. I have also heard that southern mantis is very simialr to wing chun. Is this true or no?Thanks.

Thor

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I train in "northern" mantis but have some exposure to southern. I think its very practical, in fact I think thats the whole idea behind it. If its much like its northern counterpart its very violent and aggressive too.

7sm

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I have not trained any mantis, but I have spared a Southern Mantis practitioner and I can say from that experience it is very effective.

I will also add that when Southern Mantis goes to the ground, (basically I was able to knock him off his feet.... once and only once) stand back, the flurry of kicks and punches that come off the ground at you are amazing.

The person that I use to spare was very traditionally trained right down to the External Qi training and he was very very good. I also believe his teacher, if I remember correctly, was from Mainland China.

The guy I use to spare was at that time about 28 and had been training since he was about 12, and in a self-defense situation I would bet on him every time.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It seems very practical, one of my friends who practices Hung Gar also practiced Southern Mantis a long time ago. If you have a legit school close to you, I would say you are pretty fortunate.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I would say from the exposure to at least one school of south mantis, its very good... but from what I've seen and been told... (like any other art out there) make sure you find a good teacher...

My nephew studies south mantis, and the kid is just scary. He has commented however that he has seen many south mantis schools that do it... "wrong" (not his words, I'm using it for lack of a better term) and what he has seen them doing is less than effective when compared to what they do... it could be bias, but from the differences he has demonstrated to me, I got where he was coming from... it was like comparing it with a "sport" version of itself... if that makes sense...

BlackTiger1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone has actually used southern mantis in anykind of self defense situation?How practical is it? I have always had an interest in it, but I am into more modern combative arts.Not so much into traditional arts that take along time to train in before you can use it. I have also heard that southern mantis is very simialr to wing chun. Is this true or no?Thanks.

Thor
The truth is all martial arts are practical you get out of an art what you yourself put into it. If you practice hard and pay attention to the instructor you will gain from knowledge he/she are welling to share with you. Forget or I should say not forget, however put what you have learned from another system in the back burner. If you really want to learn a new art, you must remember in all arts you study no matter what art you know the new art you go into you have to start beginning. Don't go into an art with a full cup.

Taijiman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've only seen it in person once (form demo and sparring at a competition) and I thought it looked pretty good. In fact, the guy came in second place in sparring and I was surprised how easy it was to identify his school just from watching him fight :) Good stuff.

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey thor,

If you have the chance to study Southern Mantis than I would defnitely start as soon as possible. If you dont mind me asking what system of southern mantis is it? Is it more closely associated to Chow Gar or Jook Lum Gee Tong Long? Or one of the others?

As far as those two, I can definitely attest that they are extremely practical. From my Wing Chun experience in Ip Man Ving Tsun, Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun and Chi Sim Weng Chun. I would say Southern mantis more closely resemble Hung Fa Yi and Chi Sim than it does Ip Man, Yuen Kay San or Pan Nam or any of those systems.

They have extremely fast hand techniques as well as great dynamic tension two man sets which I have used and had great results with.

They have similar exercises to the Dip Guai Gong (a type of bone compression exercise) It helps develop power in the tendons and bone structures of the forearms and fists.

But anyways I wish you the best!

Keep us updated on what your choice was.

take care,
Chang

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I study Jook Lum. It is extremely practical and effective. It's a meaty system but you quickly become effective with the most basic of techniques. Have you started training?

Changhfy

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey Jade Tigress,

This is off topic, but its great to see that your a moderator here.
I enjoy reading your posts at DL also.

I wish you the best with training.

take care,
Chang

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Jade Tigress,

This is off topic, but its great to see that your a moderator here.
I enjoy reading your posts at DL also.

I wish you the best with training.

take care,
Chang

Thank you. :) It's great to see you here too. I thoughly enjoy your contributions as well. :asian:

Latest Discussions