ipod or new portable sl-100

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
hey i have the ipod video and it is sweet but i have 12 hrs of music on it and running out of ideas and still have 26 gbs left not sure if i am going to fill it. does anyone have a 30 gb full? now the new sirius sl-100 and sl-10 anyone get one of the yet if so how they like it?

please let me know i have 10 days to return the ipod

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Keep the ipod ... Steve Jobs is going to rule the universe.

You have 12 hours of music ? ? ?... hell, we have 13 days of music.

If you want it filled .... download more movies.

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
12 hours of music? That'd last me a week during my daily commute - I have a 30 GIG Creative Labs Zen Xtra; now that's a lotta tunes!

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've got about 8 GB left on my Ipod Video 60GB... just over 8500 songs

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got the Ipod 60 GB. It's cool and all, but Itunes is driving me crazy.

I just recently downloaded the newest update for Itunes. Ever since doing that, importing music from my CDs into Itunes has really really slowed down, and it is vastly different from one disc to another.

For example, I have one disc that tells me that for the first song, which is 6 minutes long, it will take about 56 minutes to import into Itunes. That's just for the first song!

other discs seem to take anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes per song, each song being about 4 or 5 minutes long.

My discs are all standard, store-bought music CDs.

Before I downloaded the newest version it worked fine. But ever since I downloaded the newest version it has been seriously screwed up. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it about 4 or 5 times, but it doesn't seem to help. I was on the phone with Apple help line, and reloading it is about all they could suggest.

My system is probably 6 or 7 years old, Emachines with a Celeron processor, but I'm not sure how fast it is. But it has Windows XP.

Anybody else experience anything like this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I only have a 20gb player, but it is full and I desperately need more space, so I would have no problems filling it. I hate Ipod, strictly on principal, I hate how Apple has become as bad as Microsoft in terms of trying to rule the world and the fact that they set their itunes download in formats that can only be read by iPods, no other portable players.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Michael - I think my wife put in the newest version of I-tunes yesterday. I haven't noticed anything yet.

Ping898 - Yes, monopolies, in principle, suck. Proprietary software sucks. But, Apple last I checked, had about 5% market share in the computer industry. So, while they rule the world in portable music and movies, they are a bit player in the industry. Apple has out engineered, by far, the most technilogical, engineering based consumer industry.

I have always been a die-hard wintel guy. But, I really believe I am changing my stripes. I think that 24" imac looks like our next computer.

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
Now, no one is saying you need only have downloaded movies on your Ipod or Anti-Ipod (as I like to call my Creative Vision M). I carry instructional videos from Modern Knives and Kelly Worden on mine, in addition to the library of cd's I already own. Thus, my commute has some rockin' and sockin', with my rockin' and sockin'.

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael - I think my wife put in the newest version of I-tunes yesterday. I haven't noticed anything yet.

Ping898 - Yes, monopolies, in principle, suck. Proprietary software sucks. But, Apple last I checked, had about 5% market share in the computer industry. So, while they rule the world in portable music and movies, they are a bit player in the industry. Apple has out engineered, by far, the most technilogical, engineering based consumer industry.

I have always been a die-hard wintel guy. But, I really believe I am changing my stripes. I think that 24" imac looks like our next computer.

Just cause they are a small player in one part of the industry, doesn't excuse their actions it another industry

fireman00

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've got the Ipod 60 GB. It's cool and all, but Itunes is driving me crazy.

doesn't the iPod use a proprietary music format? I believe that's what is causing your delay. I know that when I download music onto my ancient 128 Mb RCA Lyra via Windows Media Player my MP3s are converted into WMA format but that usually only takes about 30 to 45 seconds per song.

here's a link regarding the iPod and supported music formats: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/consumer_electronics/ipod_faq/music_formatting_1.html

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
doesn't the iPod use a proprietary music format? I believe that's what is causing your delay. I know that when I download music onto my ancient 128 Mb RCA Lyra via Windows Media Player my MP3s are converted into WMA format but that usually only takes about 30 to 45 seconds per song.

here's a link regarding the iPod and supported music formats: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/consumer_electronics/ipod_faq/music_formatting_1.html

There are different formats that can be used to import the music. I have talked to friends who know more about this than I do, as well as the Help Line at Apple, and it appears that I am using the best option for what I have, that being AIFF format. From what I can tell, nothing is out of order on anything that I have any control over setting.

thanks for the suggestion, tho. Let me know if I have misunderstood what you are saying. I'm not always the most tech savvy...

Last night I downloaded another CD. It took about 2 or 3 hours. The first song indicated it would take about 8 minutes (the song itself is 6 minutes). But even so, as it counted down the time while importing, each second actually took about 4 or 5 seconds, so it took 4 or 5 times longer to actually make the import, than it indicated it would. But some songs went a lot faster than the first three. I stopped watching it after the first three (that took about an hour), and the last 15 or so were done when I checked it again, about an hour or hour and a half later. Making me crazy...

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
There are different formats that can be used to import the music. I have talked to friends who know more about this than I do, as well as the Help Line at Apple, and it appears that I am using the best option for what I have, that being AIFF format. From what I can tell, nothing is out of order on anything that I have any control over setting.

thanks for the suggestion, tho. Let me know if I have misunderstood what you are saying. I'm not always the most tech savvy...

Last night I downloaded another CD. It took about 2 or 3 hours. The first song indicated it would take about 8 minutes (the song itself is 6 minutes). But even so, as it counted down the time while importing, each second actually took about 4 or 5 seconds, so it took 4 or 5 times longer to actually make the import, than it indicated it would. But some songs went a lot faster than the first three. I stopped watching it after the first three (that took about an hour), and the last 15 or so were done when I checked it again, about an hour or hour and a half later. Making me crazy...

this is why i wait to install updates to see what problems they cause others first! Sneaky!

Latest Discussions