ip man movie

JGreber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Just wanted to say, I have seen the movie and it was fantastic. You can really tell that Donnie Yen really worked on his training to make it look authentic. I am impressed with his display of economy of motion. He made it look like he had been training in Ip Man Wing Chun for years. The story was also very gripping. It doesn't follow a historic exactness, but Ip Man did have his fortune stripped from him by Japanese occupation.

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I thought the michelle yeoh wing chun movie was garbage too, but after yoshi coaxed me to really look closer I actually appreciated a fair ammount of the fight scenes :D
Donnie yen is a beast, one of his more commonly known movies was iron monkey, it's a bit of a flying wire flick.. but there is definitly some entertaining action to be had.. cheers!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought the michelle yeoh wing chun movie was garbage too, but after yoshi coaxed me to really look closer I actually appreciated a fair ammount of the fight scenes :D
Donnie yen is a beast, one of his more commonly known movies was iron monkey, it's a bit of a flying wire flick.. but there is definitly some entertaining action to be had.. cheers!

You actually liked the fight scenes in that movie?? Wow! There was no WC at all in the movie and was nothing but a wire fest.(bit of flying wire as you call it is a stretch) You do better served to watch The Prodigal Son which was made back in the 70's and actually shows WC.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Watching it on YouTube now...I sure hope there is a dubbed version available in Ohio.....I liked the part where his little kid comes in and say " Papa, Momma says if you don't attack everythiung in the house will be broken"..

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The prodigal son was amazing! I've seen that movie like 500 times, my avatar is actually from the movie ;)

There are definitely some wing chun like movements in that movie, while it wasn't exactly stressing economy of motion, even the swordplay contains some wing chun like movements, I'm kind of obsessed with wing chun tho, so even improperly preformed moves get me all excited :)

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Watching it on YouTube now...I sure hope there is a dubbed version available in Ohio.....I liked the part where his little kid comes in and say " Papa, Momma says if you don't attack everythiung in the house will be broken"..

Drac - There is no english Dub version.....sorry. And that part is too funny!!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The prodigal son was amazing! I've seen that movie like 500 times, my avatar is actually from the movie ;)

There are definitely some wing chun like movements in that movie, while it wasn't exactly stressing economy of motion, even the swordplay contains some wing chun like movements, I'm kind of obsessed with wing chun tho, so even improperly preformed moves get me all excited :)

That is one of the best movies and is known for the training sequence.

Warriors Two is good but the end of the story is terrible.

Have you seen the TV show Yong Chun?

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I own warriors two, the end is a bit goofy, especially with that mantis fighter leaning at more than a 90 degree angle sliding around! I've only seen bits n' pieces of the tv show tho.

Beginner's Mind

White Belt
Reaction score
I just rented the movie from a... um... free online rental store. Documentary it ain't. As entertainment, it's a real treat. Visually beautiful, with slick fights, engaging story and interesting characters. Donnie Yen is amazing as Yip Man, composed and graceful, at once a private man and a legend. See the film.

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've just watched some bits from the movie and in the vernacular of teenage girls at a Justin Timberlake concert can I just say OMIGOD ,OMIGOD OMIGOD, OMIGODDDDDDD .

The actor playing Yip Man looks terrific , and his work on the wooden dummy looks great as does his technique in the fight scenes .
I can tell that bloke has trained hard and put a lot of work in to portray the techniques properly , I can't wait to see the whole thing .

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like donnie yen, he certainly gave out a spectacular preformance, I can't wait to see the rest of em! I hear another movie was due to come out but they waited a bit, differant director mind you, but yeah.. that should be awesome too!

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've just watched some bits from the movie and in the vernacular of teenage girls at a Justin Timberlake concert can I just say OMIGOD ,OMIGOD OMIGOD, OMIGODDDDDDD .

The actor playing Yip Man looks terrific , and his work on the wooden dummy looks great as does his technique in the fight scenes .
I can tell that bloke has trained hard and put a lot of work in to portray the techniques properly , I can't wait to see the whole thing .

On the 2nd DVD (Behind the Scenes) they talk about Donnie Yen. Before the movie he only knew the superficial stuff about WC. He actually trained for only 9 months. You see clips of him doing Chi Sau with Ip Man's son who gives him a ton of praise.
Donnie also said that he he learned the wooden dummy form rather quickly. He had one in his hotel room and worked on it every free chance he had.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, I really like donnie yen, he certainly gave out a spectacular preformance, I can't wait to see the rest of em! I hear another movie was due to come out but they waited a bit, differant director mind you, but yeah.. that should be awesome too!

There was going to be a Ip Man movie staring Tony Leung (great actor known as the Chinese Clark Gable) and would have been done around the same time as Donnie Yen's movie but somehow it didn't get made. Maybe they knew they couldn't compete with Donnie. Donnie is a better fighter of course but Tony is by far a better actor. Tony's movie would have focused more on the man himself.

Ip Man 2 has been greenlit and may start production at the end of this year. It will pick up in Hong Kong and will of course show Bruce Lee, WSL and his other students.

bs10927

Orange Belt
Reaction score
just saw the movie last night. pretty damn good!
got confused when his 1st 2 knuckles were shown beat up but that's ok.
everything else looked good to me. i think i even saw a Kwan dao in the movie. LOL

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks much AceHBK! I had no idea what plot they would following let alone when they would be starting production! some awesome info to be in possession of!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I watched it last night I thought it was fantastic , that Donnie Yen guy should keep training he looks like he's got a talent for it .
To see him on the dummy it looked like he'd been training for years , a couple of moves in the fighting scenes were a bit over the top .

But on the whole a lot of proper technique was used , and I think its probably the most realistic Wing Chun movie ever made ,those chain punch sequences were just brutal.

dnovice

Blue Belt
Reaction score
loved this movie. Donnie yen was very good and convincing in his role. The fight scene with the ten fighters was awesome.

JGreber

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had metioned earlier that Ip Man had been stipped of his fortune by Japanese occupation. Mistake, meant to say that he got stripped of his fortune by Mao's communist government. Sorry for the mess up!

Latest Discussions