ip man movie

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its released on Feb 13th, here:

http://www.yesasia.com/global/ip-ma...ng-kong-version/1014037993-0-0-0-en/info.html

I have preordered.

I am ashamed to say I have a downloaded copy but at least I am buying the 2 disc special edition:angel:

There are some on Fleabay but the subtitles are not too good judging by the description (for us english speakers). I am sure the chinese/mandarin speakers will be fine.

Cheers

Bully

ps I watched it again last night with a few beers...it really makes me want to train. Mrs Bully thought it was good 1st time around....not the 5th ;-)

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
nz is new zealand yoshi, its near australia

:D Sorry, that made me laugh.

My folks emigrated to the South Island a several years ago. We're wanting to go ourselves to live, beats the UK hands down.

What's the WC scene like there? Overall? We're looking at the Canterbury region though, I see you're from Auckland?

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Donnie Yens mother is a Wing Chun Sifu and started teaching Donnie at the age of 3 or something like that.

donnie yen has since done other forms of martial arts and has gone into BJJ and MMA styles as well in his movies. He is a martial artist first and producer/actor 2nd and thats why I like his movies

Donnie Yen's mother is not a WC instructor. She taught Donnie Yen Northern Shaolin, Wushu & Tai Chi. He spent 2 years with the Beijing Wushu team as well. He also picked up some parts of TKD, Karate and other styles.

He started picking up BJJ & MMA late due to how popular they were getting. Didn't really learn and use until he shot the movie SPL with Sammo Hung & Jacky Wu.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

http://www.yesasia.com/global/ip-ma...ng-kong-version/1014037993-0-0-0-en/info.html

I have preordered.

I am ashamed to say I have a downloaded copy but at least I am buying the 2 disc special edition:angel:

There are some on Fleabay but the subtitles are not too good judging by the description (for us english speakers). I am sure the chinese/mandarin speakers will be fine.

Cheers

Bully

ps I watched it again last night with a few beers...it really makes me want to train. Mrs Bully thought it was good 1st time around....not the 5th ;-)

Yeah I have had the movie for a month now and it is awesome. I am getting the Blu ray copy when it comes out.

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score

I have preordered.

Cheers

Bully

I've watched the trailers on Youtube, and was left in disbelieft. It loooks "astonishing". I love most Chinese films of that ilk anyway, but this, this looks on an even higher level. I cannot wait to see this movie, and it's not often I get like that.

Hagakure.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

David Weatherly

Black Belt
Reaction score

I have preordered.

Cheers

Bully

Thanks for that link, I'm preordering it, can't wait.

David

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you think the states will have ip man movie anytime in this decade?

Well it seems the UK (well Jersey) wont.

I mailed my local Cineworld and they said they have no plans to show IP man, hence my ordering of DVD.

Best bet is to get the DVD, find a mate with a projector and big screen/surround sound set up.

Get your WC mates together and invade his house, maybe take some beer as a token of your appreciation:)

Thats what I am doing. Fortunately said mate is a WC fan so he shouldnt be too bored. We are going to eat Chinese food and watch Enter the Dragon and Ip man....with beer...after that I would imagine drunken "play" sparring and Chi sao until someone gets injured:ultracool

TigerCraneGuy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just watched it on Sat night.

Factual? Prolly not.

Cool? Absolutely.

Not a Wing Chun practitioner (Kenpo actually), but have read up a lot on the Art, and recognise a great deal of WC tech in the movie; you know, deflection, economy of motion, centerline, bong sau, tan sau... you name it; it's there and performed dynamically fast against multile styles, both Chinese and Japanese.

A few brilliant sequences of Ip Man chain-punching the living daylights out of his opponents.

Definitely worth watching. Much better than the Michelle Yeoh 'Wing Chun' movie!

Regards
TCG

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
gREA THAT SOUNDS FUNN EXCELLENT...

Well it seems the UK (well Jersey) wont.

I mailed my local Cineworld and they said they have no plans to show IP man, hence my ordering of DVD.

Best bet is to get the DVD, find a mate with a projector and big screen/surround sound set up.

Get your WC mates together and invade his house, maybe take some beer as a token of your appreciation:)

Thats what I am doing. Fortunately said mate is a WC fan so he shouldnt be too bored. We are going to eat Chinese food and watch Enter the Dragon and Ip man....with beer...after that I would imagine drunken "play" sparring and Chi sao until someone gets injured:ultracool

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just to bump this back up...

The paid for version arrived from Yes asia and I am very happy.

The subtitles are a little different from the downloaded copy I impatiently obtained.

Also it is better quality.

The second dvd has lots of extras, which normally I dont bother with but as I am so interested in WC and Ip Man I watched.

Donnie Yen took the role very seriously it seems. I had not really heard of him as I dont tend to watch lots of chop suey films these days. He came across as very humble and hard working.

Anyway, not to give too much away, just get the 2 disc special edition ordered and watch the film and all the extras.

Cheers

Bully

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent post...Bully try not to beat anyone up okay. Don't hurt anyone!

The subtitles are a little different from the downloaded copy I impatiently obtained.

The second dvd has lots of extras, which normally I dont bother with but as I am so interested in WC and Ip Man I watched.

Donnie Yen took the role very seriously it seems. I had not really heard of him as I dont tend to watch lots of chop suey films these days. He came across as very humble and hard working.

Anyway, not to give too much away, just get the 2 disc special edition ordered and watch the film and all the extras.

Cheers

Bully

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With my Wing Chun skills I dont think anyone is going to get beaten up anytime soon.

Maybe if I sat on them:)

Going to a mates next week for said screening. Should be a blast.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Cheers

Bully

It is a great movie. I know a lot of WC guys have complained that when they show Donnie Yen's knuckles after a fight he would always bruise the top 2 and not the bottom 3. Small thing in the context of the movie as a whole but I can understand. Casual movie watcher wouldn't know WC uses the bottom 3.

If you haven't watched a lot of Donnie Yen movies you are truly missing out on some great stuff. I highly suggest the movies below.

SPL
Dragon Tiger Gate
Flash Point

paulus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you haven't watched a lot of Donnie Yen movies you are truly missing out on some great stuff. I highly suggest the movies below.

SPL
Dragon Tiger Gate
Flash Point
Wasn't Donnie Yen in a film with... oh, what was she called... Michelle sombody....

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wasn't Donnie Yen in a film with... oh, what was she called... Michelle sombody....

Michelle Yeoh in the movie "Wing Chun"

I suggest that you don't even waste time in watching that trash.

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Michelle Yeoh? Have I heard of her?

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, James Bond Tomorrow Never Dies, Memoirs of a Geisha.
Peep her on wikipedia to see her face or just google. You will certainly recognize her

Latest Discussions