ip man movie

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
dungeonworks i think there is an autobiography or biography (cant remember which is right term) book about yip man

Thanks Naneek. If you get the name, could you PM it to me? I am looking for a good read being laid off of work for the next month! LOL

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PM me too please Naneek.

Cheers

Bully

OP
N

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
sorrys dungeon and bully i have no idea how to pm but the book is called ip man portrait of a master, by ip ching and ron heimburg

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ordered it from Amazon, will report what I think when I have read it.

Watching Ip man the movie this weekend.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bullys review...and NO spoilers:soapbox:

OK, I can understand where Dungeonworks comes from, he/she seems like a purist and I know lots of people who DONT like crouching tiger/flying daggers etc etc.

So....

The best WC film I have seen.....probably the only WC film I have seen apart from Enter the Dragon cross arm sparring with Bruce and "O'Hara".

Its not quite a "wire" film, but its does have the chinese opera aspect of most recent matrial arts films coming from China.

If you want pure Ip Man and WC then dont watch it.

If you want say a ripping yarn in the genre of Last Samurai, ie some truths and in the spirit of the time then go for it.

My wife really enjoyed it and said it was the best portrayal of WC that she had seen and was nice to see it done properly....I served divorce papers on her straight after ;-)

So....7/10 for me.

Some great WC stuff on camera and Dungeon....please watch it.....just treat it like Indiana Jones...good fun and a family film which might interest you.

Oh, a bit of Long pole in it too.....

How long until Part 2?????????????

I hear they are looking for a Bruce Lee.......unfortunately not the 14 stone burger eating version or I would have been straight in.

Cheers

Bully

dungeonworks

Black Belt
Reaction score
...OK, I can understand where Dungeonworks comes from, he/she seems like a purist and I know lots of people who DONT like crouching tiger/flying daggers etc etc....

Naww, I am far from a purist! LOL I am just not into the Crouching Daggers Flying Tigers wire type stuff. It's just so overboard that I just can't get into them, even on a fantasy level. I'll watch a good Tony Jaa flick though!

About Ip Man, I would like to see the movie anyways, but would like to know if I'm watching fact or fiction so as not to get confused. I don't know much about him other than the basics. Heck, I still run accross people that saw "Bruce Lee: The Dragon Story" and think he really fought demons and that the whole Wong Jak Man story was as it happened in the movie...ect. That movie did more hurt than good.

Thanks again Bully.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
About Ip Man, I would like to see the movie anyways, but would like to know if I'm watching fact or fiction so as not to get confused.

I'm looking forward to seeing the movie too. Yip Man lived a fascinating life in turbulent times. But I would never expect a movie, even a good one, to be very historically accurate. I just hope it treats the Great-Grandmaster's memory with a bit of respect and dignity as it seeks to entertain us.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How can I get a copy of it?

I havent seen it yet...I have no idea where to go to get a copy of it...

I am not sure when my country will show it. I remember the Movie the Black Mask didn't show here until 2000. An that Jet Li movie was made in 1997. An the same thing with Iron Monkey...It showed around 2005 or so in America.

Eru Ilúvatar;1104843 said:
No, acctualy I have it on my computer. Why? :)

Eru Ilúvatar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well... I'm not sure what the policy is on this forum about things like this but I personaly admit I downloaded it :) If you're OK with this kind of things I suggest you do the same. I will not go into details here but it's not that difficult and I'm sure you can figure it out on your own. If you don't, PM me or something.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sorrys dungeon and bully i have no idea how to pm but the book is called ip man portrait of a master, by ip ching and ron heimburg

Got the book this mornin and took about a hour or so to read.

A very good read but I was a little disapointed that it wasnt longer and with more of a Biography feel. I think as it is written by Ip Mans son then he did not really know in detail about Ip Mans younger years. If someone asked me to write a biography about my father then I too would be a bit stuck and would have to recount stories and ask other family members.

The book is still worth reading and has some nice photos in it too.

Cheers

Bully

Koshou911

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I can't wait to watch Ip Man. Being a huge Donnie Yen fan and a former student of WC I was excited to learn that descendants of Ip Man were consultants on the film and were pleased with its outcome.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What is Donnie Yen main style of Gung Fu?

I can't wait to watch Ip Man. Being a huge Donnie Yen fan and a former student of WC I was excited to learn that descendants of Ip Man were consultants on the film and were pleased with its outcome.

Koshou911

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
What is Donnie Yen main style of Gung Fu?

Donnie Yens mother is a Wing Chun Sifu and started teaching Donnie at the age of 3 or something like that.

donnie yen has since done other forms of martial arts and has gone into BJJ and MMA styles as well in his movies. He is a martial artist first and producer/actor 2nd and thats why I like his movies

Koshou911

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I saw the movie this past weekend, I am ashamed to say that I bought a bootleg as it is not playing anywhere in Toronto and I really wanted to see it. When it comes out officially on dvd or bluray this one is definately worthy of being in my library.

from start to finish it has a fight scene every 5-10 mins but its not that violent of a movie though. Sure there is blood and gore, but it does send a good message about the effectiveness of Wing chun and also how artistic it really is. Hard to explain what I mean but it shows how un barbaric fighting with Wing Chun is and how ANYBODY can learn and use it.

definately one of the best movies I have seen in a long time. I cant wait to buy it on DVD or Bluray to see the behind the scenes stuff (probably have some interviews of Ip Man's son Ip Chun)

Latest Discussions