Investigating Katana Sword Maker's Mark

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Don’t quote me as my Chinese is very rusty, but I believe it says, “For a good time call…” then I lose it, I can’t make out the name…. sorry… :)

OP
J

Jokrg

White Belt
Reaction score
Sayyy, WOULDN'T IT BE FUNNY IF: The Japanese actually made the sword to mimic the Chinese mimicking the Japanese who were not happy with the quality of the sword, and then marked it in bad traditional Chinese so that it made the Chinese look like bad spellers when all the while it was a Japanese substandard smith who made it on a lark to give the Chinese manufacturers a bad reputation in Swordsmithing?

Wait! It gets better: What if it was the Japanese guy's American buddy who put him up to it after finding out the guy's father was a REAL Swordmaker with a reputation, so they used his good equipment to make this substandard sword as the prototype for a new-fangled combo tang sword with the best of Eastern and Western sword making techniques.... eh? eh?

Just makes you say, "Hmmm".

(No, guys... I don't do drugs... Just have a great imagination.)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Hi, again. It is I, and I have FINALLY gotten around to taking real photos for the detail of the blade stamp. I appreciate all the assistance, here, and await any translation possible.

Do me a favor: If it says, "MADE IN CHINA"... don't tell anyone. lol....

Actually it says made in Sheboygan :D

But seriously, so far my wife has come up with pretty much what you already know, the last character is dragon. As for the rest it is difficult to tell for her and she has said you may need to find a calligrapher to figure it out, but she is still checking.

Latest Discussions