Internet : MySpace Self Defence

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kids today are more and more using social sites like Myspace. The following sad article drives home the point that as a parent, you need to raise your game to protect your kids.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071117/ap_on_re_us/internet_suicide

To be honest, I'm not sure what else her parents could have done, short of deny her internet access....but the other parents involved should be ashamed of themselves.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kids today are more and more using social sites like Myspace. The following sad article drives home the point that as a parent, you need to raise your game to protect your kids.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071117/ap_on_re_us/internet_suicide

To be honest, I'm not sure what else her parents could have done, short of deny her internet access....but the other parents involved should be ashamed of themselves.
The victim's parents seem to have done all the "right things" with regard to the internet. I'm not blaming them, nor am I trying to diminish the tragedy of their loss -- but I can't help but notice that there were other problems.

I really don't think that the fake MySpace account, or even the internet bullying that accompanied it, was the real cause of the girl's suicide. I think it was a definite contributing factor -- but that the problems run a lot deeper.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
It's a shame that it came to this, is their fault, who knows and who's fault would it be? Definately a shame that such a young girl at that age would commit suicide.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was just going to post about this.

It seems that the local newspaper and police went to GREAT lengths to keep the names of the family who made up the fake person....but as it goes with the internet, it has leaked.

You can now find their names, jobs, a map pointing to their house, a huge push to have them both fired from their jobs, a push to ban the businesses that patronize their places of work, and much more. The family whose daughter killed herself was trying to push them to move.....but now it looks like the entire internet is trying to convince them to move.

Now this is HORRIBLE that it happened at all and the actions of the perpetrators are despicable - but look at what a few angry people are doing. They should definately be punished, but their entire lives will now be ruined for their entire family. Its like, internet vigilantism.

So is the severity with which these people will be punished applicable? Does the world community even have the right to dole out punishment like this? Isn't that the job of the legal system? And is there even a way to stop it? Actually, is it WORTH stopping or is this just justice?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Raising children today is NOT very easy to teach values, to accept themselves for who they are....accept everything about themself....there looks, weights, there brain, social lives, there economic statis, regilion status, and so on....

What is important is? .(Parents) ..are we doing what we can to be a good parent? ..an excellant role models to follow...?

Do we spend a lot of physcial time? ...alot of growing up time and focus on our kids more than our selves?

Children need to know they are "LOVE" and "WANTED"! ...All the time!

We had a teacher that told us in High school....."When you have children? ...it is your job to raise them! ...This is when your life is change to focus on their life only! ....Raising your children to survive in this world "should" be the number one priorty!

Children need loving care...and to learn to accept themselve for who they are....and to learn real life living....

It is always sad when a child takes their own life....not realizing growing up is NOT always easy....and when they get older...things may change alot better!!

Aloha

Latest Discussions