Interesting Video Clip

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
TaiChiTJ said:
It truly is an interesting video clip. The self protection actions were ok by me, except for real quickly towards the end the attacker grabs him near his neck, or on his shoulders near his neck or something. I can't tell if its a choke or what. His response was to remove his attackers hands with his own hands. Against a big, strong, powerful grip that might be hard to achieve.

Krav Maga uses this same concept. Combined with a simultaneous knee strike, this move is very effective.

Mike

Connovar

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tengu6 said:
Apparently you have never been hit good by Rumiko. lol, Either way, good luck with that.

Markk Bush

Sure have. I am not saying she is a wimp. I just prefer power and technique,not just technique. By the way did you ever train at the "the barn" in Germantown. Your name sounds familiar.

Tengu6

Green Belt
Reaction score
Connovar said:
Sure have. I am not saying she is a wimp. I just prefer power and technique,not just technique. By the way did you ever train at the "the barn" in Germantown. Your name sounds familiar.

Nope never made it to the Barn in my SKH days, I was going to go for that training session before they tore it down but I was on the other side of the country.

Markk Bush

r erman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just thought I might add, for those who do not know, that this is white belt technique and concept. "Earth" level stuff. So obviously it is intended to be basic.

But it's good basics, in terms of self defense. Establishing boundaries, using loud verbal commands, and assuming a non-threatening posture...etc, all good.

A lot of martial arts and artists neglect this, or only pay lip service to it. Trainers like Peyton Quinn, Tony Blauer, Geoff Thompson, and to a lesser extent, Hayes, have done a lot of good by making this type of training more common. I just wish the intensity level of clips like this was a little more 'alive'...

I think whoever uploaded this to putfile thought it more silly than beneficial. Which is too bad, as Hayes has some good material.

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
This reminds me of when people put clips of Soke on the web and people try and critique his movement saying its not real. If they only knew...

:ninja:

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fallen Ninja said:
This reminds me of when people put clips of Soke on the web and people try and critique his movement saying its not real. If they only knew...

Yeah, Steve and Soke are very similar. For instance, they both have grey hair!

Spooky, no?

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
stephen said:
Yeah, Steve and Soke are very similar. For instance, they both have grey hair!

Spooky, no?
Yeah and you both have the same first name... illusions, illusions....

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Fallen Ninja said:
Yeah and you both have the same first name... illusions, illusions....

Yeah! That means I'm as good as Soke. stephen(me) = Stephen(K.H.) = Soke by the transitive property of taijutsu!

Good Point!

Fallen Ninja

Green Belt
Reaction score
stephen said:
Yeah! That means I'm as good as Soke. stephen(me) = Stephen(K.H.) = Soke by the transitive property of taijutsu!

Good Point!
ummm....:idunno:

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have trained a lot with both Steve and Rumiko. I would much rather have Steve backing me up in bar fight so to speak. Rumiko has good technique but Steve has both the power and technique and I have seen him use it.
From what I've seen of Steven K. Hayes when he demonstrates his fighting ability, me too. his ground work is phenominal. he can (as I imagine many shihan can) adapt the techniques he learned to work in any position. Do Gaeshi on the ground when pressed against a wall....awesome.

I have trained with them on a few occasions and I can say from experience that Rumiko is considerably better than Stephen, her movement is more natural
I'm no expert (not by a long shot) but Rumiko seems to have beautiful movement. very very fluid like it should be. of course, I've never seen her in person but whether in person or on dvd, my eyes work the same.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love this clip! I had the privledge back in 95 or 96 right, after I started training, of stopping by SKH's Dojo in Dayton and participating in a class. Rumiko was teaching and Stephen was popping in and out of the office area during the session and offering tid-bits as he saw them passing through. As a lowly white belt the situation was lost on me, but I did get the opportunity to practice a take-down on both of them. Watching Rumiko move reminds me of a big cat moving through the forest, smooth as silk, but dangerous. At the time they were also using "stop!" during the training.

Latest Discussions