Interesting Show on Discovery Channel

D

Dennis_Mahon

As I recall, Jay Bell has stated that this particular book was actually written by Hayes.

True; but, since Hatsumi-sensei is still listed as the author on the book cover, going out to purchase Ninjutsu: History and Tradition by Stephen Hayes might prove a tad difficult, neh?

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Dennis_Mahon

True; but, since Hatsumi-sensei is still listed as the author on the book cover, going out to purchase Ninjutsu: History and Tradition by Stephen Hayes might prove a tad difficult, neh?

I know. Merely pointing out trivia that Jay Bell was kind enough to share with us earlier.

Cthulhu

D

Dennis_Mahon

I know. Merely pointing out trivia that Jay Bell was kind enough to share with us earlier.

No sweat; I understand. ;)

Moving along to another ( but related ) topic, what exactly does one have to do to get an accurate documentry done? I'm not talking actual production, but who one has to talk to in order to get such a show on the air?:idunno:

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Man I wish I knew. I think making a production WITHOUT having a member of Juko-kai on staff would help tremendously ;)

Honestly, it doesn't take much effort to make an informed program or documentary. They were already *IN* Japan, why not do it right?

I guess the Discovery company explained that the docu was done by a third party. *shrug*

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jay has once again brought up a good point: I find it disturbing that the juko-kai was featured so prominently in the last couple of martial arts 'specials' on The Discovery/The Learning Channel. Is someone on their staff truly a member of juko-kai? If so, what the hell happened to objectivity in journalism?

Humbug.

Cthulhu

T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by Jay Bell

Hey Thunder Foot,

Yeah...I know howya feel. My teacher was guy with the long blonde hair in the Bujinkan segment

Tew ryu is actually decendant of Dux ryu. I guess Rick Tew studied under Frank Dux for a time, then branched off to do his own thing. It's not linked to Bujinkan in anyway.

Have a good one,

Jay

Thank you for the information. So the old manwell. in the ninpo section was Hatsumi-sensee, ne? Was the man with the long blonde hair, the one translating the japanese into english? Also, I was wondering what the demonstration of ki was? Where the master was standing over the student jodan-style, and attempts to cut the student with the sword. Then the student senses the attack and dodges. Can anyone explain this a little further?

Yes, it was very exciting to actually see the dojo at which I train, on national television!!! Although my sabo did not let the reporters into his office because he didn't want them filming in there..... he has a very messy office!!!! ,hehe. One of our female assistant instructors was shown as well. I was scheduled to demonstrate some board breaks using some (in their words) "flashy spin kicks", but I showed up too late... as I had MT training earlier the same day.

What was the deal with Juko-kai? It is an art taught by the creator, to my understanding? Some one decides to create their own style, and gets air-time in return?? I din't even see any combative techniques implemented at anytime. Not to talk bad about the art, for I have little knowledge of the art.... but the essence martial arts is alot more than merely withstanding blows. I don't know why anyone would train like this, it didn't seem to be very martial oriented... more of showing off than anything else.

I'm sorry everyone, I should read more about Juko-kai before I make such statements. I just wish they focused a little more on other aspects of the art as well.

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. So the old manwell. in the ninpo section was Hatsumi-sensee, ne? Was the man with the long blonde hair, the one translating the japanese into english? Also, I was wondering what the demonstration of ki was? Where the master was standing over the student jodan-style, and attempts to cut the student with the sword. Then the student senses the attack and dodges. Can anyone explain this a little further?

Hey Thunder,

Hatsumi sensei was the man that they interviewed with the gray hair that spoke in Japanese. The guy with the long blonde hair was the one who did the technique with the jutte against Mark Lithgow who used a katana, then also the one that Mark caught in the back doing Bojutsu.

The downward cut from Jodan no Kamae. That was the Godan test. Hatsumi sensei swings down from behind you. The idea is to do nothing at all...and allow whatever may happen to happen.

What was the deal with Juko-kai? It is an art taught by the creator, to my understanding? Some one decides to create their own style, and gets air-time in return??

Jokey Kai is a severe sore spot with me. Every word that Rod said in that bit was an outright lie. They showed pictures in the segment of Rod sitting in seiza next to the Shindo Yoshin ryu Soke....one of which Rod trained for a whopping DAY with. I truly wish that something could be done about this guy..

He claimed that he was recognized as a Soke in Japan. No, Rod...you're recognized as a has-been in Japan.

OP
Cthulhu

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Unfortunately, Dennis...I think you're absolutely right :(

Hopefully, information on this character will spread throughout this board's membership, who will hopefully carry that information to their friends.

Jokey-kai...I'm gonna use that :)

Cthulhu

M

Makoto-Dojo

My question is, "One of two Ninjutsu Grandmasters?" ...is that so?

Well...let's see here.

Togakure ryu Ninpo Taijutsu - Masaaki Hatsumi sensei
Kumogakure ryu Ninpo Taijutsu - Masaaki Hatsumi sensei
Gyokushin ryu Ninpo Taijutsu - Masaaki Hatsumi sensei

Ninpo schools that Tanemura san is Soke of - None (though he does have Menkyo Kaiden from two different lines of Togakure ryu)

My wandering mind is wondering...If you're going to go through the trouble of putting together a 2 hour program on Japanese Martial arts...here is my advice:

1. Make them Japanese, maybe?
2. Don't fabricate information

:soapbox:

*sigh* Okay...I'm done

Hello Jay,

maybe I can help you with your question...

Tanemura Sensei is the Grandmaster of Genbukan Ninpo Bugei! Which is the art we receive grades in. It is a composite system much like Budo Taijutsu. Genbukan Ninpo Bugei contains many arts including Ninpo which as you stated Soke tanemura has menkyo Kaiden in from TWO sources.

In addition Soke Tanemura is the SOKE of Amatsu Tatara Bumon and Shumon which DOES have Ninjutsu and Ninpo in it. Also He is Soke of Kukishin Ryu which has Ninjutsu in it...

So, as you can see from the above example Soke tanemura Does in fact have every right to claim to be one of two remaining Grandmasters in Ninpo.

I hope that helps your understanding.

Kind Regards,

Latest Discussions