Instructors Class

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just wondering how many Studio Owners have an ongoing "Instructors Class" and what you do in each one if you do have one. If you don't have one, why not?

:asian:

Z

Zeke

Once a month the instructors (black and brown) from the two studio's and two groups I oversee gets together to make sure we are still on the same page. Most of the time we work on the conceps & principles of the system.We also do a lot of What-If-scenarios. Since we in our daily training tend to focus (Maybe sometimes a little bit too much :rolleyes: )on a powerfull and very K.I.S.S.-like form of Kenpo , I find that this allows the instruktors both the chance to play but also find their own "way" within the borders of the system.
In my own studio I bring the black belts together once a week for about two hours of training. And although we do work on the techniques and form , most of our time is spend on what I call "Real-life" scenarios. Since many of my students is employed in the police force , the army and other ways of security business , we tend to get a lot of first-hand knowledge of what does happen on the streets nowadays.
So we do a lot drills that adapt the techniques - or part of them - to those scenarios .
It does give us a kind of rough looking but also very practical form of Kenpo that is well like by the people that have to releid on it for real.
Anyway this is what we do , I hoped it was what you were looking for.
Take care
Zeke

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The school I teach at we have tried to have an instructors class but can't seem to get one going. Most of the time we are on the same page, but I would like it for the work out too.
The kenpo school I go to there is only one instructor so I don't think there is one.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Even if everyone is on the same page, I use it as an extra review of the lower material, speed training for memory, additional conditioning class and a benefit for being and instructor or aid. No matter how big your studio is a valid instructor program is necessary so the students can turn into better Kenpoists. The additional time is always put to good use if taught properly.

It is far better to be well prepared for a confrontation and not have one ... than to have a confrontation and not be well prepared!

R

Rob_Broad

When I was teaching full time I had an Instructor's class every Monday night. We would do a hard warm up of the basics, followed by going over the curriculum from a belt, each week we did a different level, this way I ensured that we were always working on getting the material down better for the students. They all had a binder that they brough to the class, and the last half hour was spent with me giving them a handout on something, whether it be a drill, the written breakdown on a form or set, an interesting article. In that last half hour we would also go into how to teach, I showed them how to plan a lesson, and organize their thoughts in a well laid out manner. We also had a 2 twice a yr instructor's boot camp, where I showed them different material, went through all the belt levels, we worked on first aid as a refresher.

When I was looking at people to begin to learn how to be instructors I had a multi-tier system for them. They started off helping the beginner classes, and they were given the title Jr. Leader, they had to attend instructors class each week, and when they were on the floor with the beginner I had them wear a gray belt so that there would be no squabbles form people saying I don't want to learn for a person that is only a X belt. After 6 months if they were doing a good job they were admitted to the LIT's Leaders In Training. LIT's wore red belts and really helped with the beginners and intermediates. They were they people I would have go work with a belt group when I broke up the class to do their techniques. This allowed me to float aroound the room and correct little things as i saw them and go from one group to the next to teach the various material. If a person graduated for the LIT program they became Assiatant Instructor at the Black belt grading.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes Mr. Rob, I also had a system to the Instructors class similar to what you outlined but I didn't have them change ranks the had a special patch they wore on their uniforms. I had special assignments and requirements for different levels of Instructorship up until Black Belt of course.

Very good. These programs are important to maintain and continue a well oiled Kenpo machine.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
:(

I wish I had been able to go through something like what you guys have described, I would probably be a much better instructor for it now. When I first started teaching, I just went out and tried to do it like my instructors did. It didn't always work for me though, and I'm still learning how to do it right.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I'm not sure there is an official "Right" way of doing anything, but there are improved and better ways in some cases. At any rate it merits always looking at better ways and new ideas to get the point/s across to students.

Mirroring and modeling has been the standard for a number of years..... the problem with that is - if your instructor has flaws (and who doesn't) then you may end up modeling and mirroring the wrong things! The purpose of the Instructors class is to identify problems (all sorts student learning pitfalls AND Instructor errors or mistakes) then come to some solution as to how to correct or improve the problem. It draws everyone closer together and all learn from everyones mistakes and accomplishments.

To Teach is to learn but you need to observe the teaching always, take a pulse on how everyone including yourself are doing.

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We currently have an instructors class weekly which is primarily going over the technical material so we are on the same page and also it is the instructors time to learn new things for their next level. We also have a periodic blackbelt workout which is much more physical.
We have struggled with the instructor class in the past due to difficulty in getting all of the instructors to commit to it (especially the ones that said they wanted it the most!) and difficulties in my schedule, but it is a very important element to a successful school since it keeps everyone teaching material the same way and keeps the instructors learning their own stuff, not just teaching.
As i am improving our instructor classes i am seeing an already good instructor team becoming a better team.

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by Seig
Mr. C,
Do you follow a set curriculuum for the instrcutor's class, or do you pick weak areas and work on those or just roll out new material?

All of the above. The "set curriculum" is the base material.... (this can always use work), most of the time however, I work on weak points or areas that are in need of attention first then other areas that would enhance teaching and then finally it can be a place to introduce something new to all.

Developing a strong and understood base is one of the prime objectives along with developing the ability to duplicate, achieve and pass on the principles.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, having an Inst. class is definately an important thing to have. Its good to have a time when the Inst can all get together and take the time to learn what is required for their current rank. Teaching is a good thing, and yes, it gives you the chance to go over your old material, but doing too much teaching and not enough of your own training is a hole that is very easy to fall into.

Mike

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In addition to belt material we covered how to correct an individual. What language was appropriate or not. This included encouragement toward the students and recognising an individuals ability and progress. Also we covered what physical contact was acceptable and what wasn't. Everything was geared toward student retention, and confidence.

I always felt that asking students to teach was a touchy subject. Take away to much time and the student is likely to resent coming to class. Incentives for teaching aren't effective once a point is reached. Truth is most students are very busy with family, friends, school, and their training. To add an instructor class and extra teaching time can be hard. It takes a special person to want to help and give up that extra time.

don

Seig

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mountaineer Martial Arts - Shepherdstown,WV
Everyone, there is some good stuff in here. Do you cover other issues, such as:
Two students are close in rank, they prety much came up close together (meaning the joined sometime within 6 months of each other) the senior of the two is leading a class and the junior of the two is less than respectfull. Do you teach how to handle this scenario?
Or, you have a Brown Belt teaching a beginner class, you have someone new to the system but an experienced martial artist that challenges the Brown Belt constantly, do you teach him how to handle that?

What are some other things you cover?

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have never been in a school that actually had an "instructor's class", advanced class yes ... but we never dealt with teaching and problem solving issues specifically.

I have never done this in my studio either, primarily due to the small size ... but I think it is a great idea, not just for the standardization and consistancy, but also for issues like Seig brought up.

Sexual harassment is another or teaching opposite sexed students, both of which have been discussed on this forum.

don bohrer

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Michael,

Our Instructor class served two purposes. The obvious being the consistancy and quality of your students instructors. The next is for the confidence of the parents of your students. Most parents want to know that their child is receiving the best possible training. I have known parents to be upset that their child was at times was being taught by another student.

The instructor classes seem to calm parental anxiety. Our student instructors did wear a red belt during instruction time while we had this program. My current instructor does not use it. I feel programs like this work best in larger schools. I think smaller schools benefit better from one good assistant instructor that can dedicate the time. It's been my experience that parents have more confidence in an adult instructor than a child.

don

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am going to look at starting some type of "retreat" or instructors class monthy. It is a good idea. Even though I am present the vast majority of the time, I just can't do it all, and my Asst. Instructors are a good group of individuals, although on tests I do see things I KNOW I did not teach them. There is usually a pattern there of some sort that could be addressed in these classes.

-MB

OP
Goldendragon7

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Having had an instructor class for many years, was founded on many of the already stated ideas. In addition a father of one of my students (a lawyer) gave me some additional insights. He had just won a multi million dollar law suit for a client whose son had been paralyzed in a wrestling accident. After sharing with me details of his strategy as to the background training of the student that was injured, I immediately saw the similarities as related to our methods of teaching.

If there is a professional (as many of us look upon our establishments) studio, and an accident occurs in a class, then you better be able to show that the instructors in charge were "trained" and able to govern as expected. Many more details but I think you get the idea.

Safety, is constantly preached and instructed upon in every instructors class in front of everyone at all times (many witnesses in many different settings), there are many different areas of "Safety" to discuss and this gives an excellent vehicle to do so and examine many different scenarios.

I have had as many as 60 Instructors at one time in this class, so you see the demand is there for larger studios, however, in smaller studios the need and benefits are still the same (as long as you have assistants), unless "ONLY" one person is instructing.

Students, Parents, and the "assistants or instructors" all "feel", much better with this type of class as it a part of logical "school type" procedures the world has come to expect.

Giving your assistants additional "insights" and training into the "methodology" of relaying the curriculum is also a great part of supportive teaching. The additional time invested into this class allows for yet a creative way to get students into "class" and log more quality time in the Art, which only leads to better understanding of the information that you want absorbed.