Information on Dr. Gyi???

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ive heard his skills are good but his war stories are questionable.

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
He is incredable and his "war stories" are not questionable. Dr Gyi is on the WKKA board of directors. www.wkka.org When I had a test in front of the WKKA board of directors about 10 years ago my dad was present. Afterwards my dad came up to me and asked me who the white haired gentleman was. I told him that was Dr Mong Gyi. The next words out of his mouth was "I thought he looked familar, he taught me knife fighting techniques in the corp". That was back in ohhhhh 1967 I think, he was with 1st marine div 1st recon if my memory serves me correctly and was trained by Dr Gyi back then.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Again. Hes probably a gifted martial artist...still.

http://www.mikemiles.com/history1.html
*DR. MAUNG GYI
Maung Gyi is a prominent practitioner of Burmese Bando. The young Gyi learned from experts such as Saw Ni, Bo Mein Sa and Saya Zaw Min. In 1953, Gyi organized a small group and put on some of the earliest Kickboxing exhibitions in Tokyo. Gyi was pleased by the fact that by the late 1960's and early 1970's Kickboxing is the number one sport in Japan. Gyi had trained hard in international boxing and had even set his sights on the 1956 Olympics. He was disqualified in an elimination match for getting excited and using a Bando technique. In June 1971 Gyi defeated a middleweight boxer by TKO in the 3rd round. In December 1971 he battled a larger Lightheavyweight boxer in a 6 round brawl. He knocked his opponent out with a series of punches and kicks after being badly injured. In 20 years of fighting (under 3 names; Kobayashi, Maung Maung, and Maung Gyi) he compiled a record of 66 KO wins and 30 losses. He himself was knocked out 15 times. 9 of the knockouts were at the hands of Burmese opponents in 1956.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
:shrug:

Attachments

• $gyi04.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 808

Sapper6

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
char·ac·ter (krk-tr)
n.
1. The combination of qualities or features that distinguishes one person, group, or thing from another. See Synonyms at disposition.
2. A distinguishing feature or attribute, as of an individual, group, or category. See Synonyms at quality.
3. Genetics A structure, function, or attribute determined by a gene or group of genes.
4. Moral or ethical strength.
5. A description of a person's attributes, traits, or abilities.
6. A formal written statement as to competency and dependability, given by an employer to a former employee; a recommendation.
7. Public estimation of someone; reputation: personal attacks that damaged her character.
8. Status or role; capacity: in his character as the father.
a. A notable or well-known person; a personage.
b. A person, especially one who is peculiar or eccentric: a shady character; catcalls from some character in the back row.
a. A person portrayed in an artistic piece, such as a drama or novel.
b. Characterization in fiction or drama: a script that is weak in plot but strong in character.
11. A mark or symbol used in a writing system.
12. Computer Science
a. One of a set of symbols, such as letters or numbers, that are arranged to express information.
b. The numerical code representing such a character.
13. A style of printing or writing.
14. A symbol used in secret writing; a cipher or code.
adj.
1. Of or relating to one's character.
a. Specializing in the interpretation of often minor roles that emphasize fixed personality traits or specific physical characteristics: a character actor.
b. Of or relating to the interpretation of such roles by an actor: the character part of the hero's devoted mother.
3. Dedicated to the portrayal of a person with regard to distinguishing psychological or physical features: a character sketch.
4. Law Of or relating to a person who gives testimony as to the moral and ethical reputation or behavior of one engaged in a lawsuit: a character witness.

...but i bet he's a great martial artist.

i wonder what people would think if their own instructor was accused of lies, theft, and down-right ********...?

but he's a great martial artist. :idunno:

oh, my apologies as my post is probably unfitting for the topic at hand. but since all i know of Dr. Gyi is for the most part negative stuff, i felt most compelled to post something i do have a good understanding of, and this is character. what does this have to do with Gyi...? probably nothing.

but... :asian:

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So I guess my question is if the guy has skill like some people claim then why does he need to make up fairy tales (read lies) about his past?
It would seem if he is really that skilled then his skills could stand on their own.
As far as teaching military and law enforcement……It might sound really kool to some novice but it’s not all it’s cracked up to be.
I have taught many military units and military law enforcement people. Basically anything is better than some of the crap they have been taught.
I do find people that claim to have been, but never were, in the military, especially combat, to be extremely offensive. Even more so when they claim to have confirmed kills in hand to hand. That just wreaks cowardice.

Unfortunately these days it seems many MA people haven’t got the moral fiber to tell the truth and lies are considered just an everyday part of “marketing” themselves.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gyi's stories of combat are lies- so the question of the effectiveness of his art is questionable. If he had used stuff in combat, then we would know it worked. If some of his students had used his stuff in combat we would know the same and that he could pass those skills along to others.

But Gyi never seems to have been in combat and I know of no stories of his students using his weapons skills in combat. Incidents with knives by trained users are very low in the US.

So we are left with what we feel to be effective- and we have all had feelings about things turn out to be wrong- and simulated combat. The problem with the latter is that it is not combat and there may be things you can do in combat that would make you lose in competition and vice versa.

I have heard that a guy named Charles Daniel did some simulated combat with some students of Gyi's and won easily. I think I should point out that Daniel is a very skilled weapons man with a wide background. I do not even know the name of the person or person whom he sparred with. But from what I hear, it was a very one- sided battle.

Again, this defeat of the Gyi students was not real combat. But it is about the only thing we can judge it by. Had they won the fight, it would have proved nothing. Losing also proves nothing. But we have no real use of the weapon skills to judge them by.

Reactions: MJS

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have met him several times in person and I like him a lot. He is a very knowledgeable martial artist and a skilled instructor, and also very charismatic. His knife stuff is good and definitely seems oriented toward combat as opposed to self-defense--more stabbing, less laying back and defanging the snake, for instance.

I have no opinion on his war record. I do see the relevance, but the question does not appear to be settled, so I take no stance on it.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Where, as martial artists and "warriors" does one draw a line between obtaining a skill and associating with persons of questionable character? Is "getting good stuff" enough to overlook the 500lb gorilla in the corner?

RickRed

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Where, as martial artists and "warriors" does one draw a line between obtaining a skill and associating with persons of questionable character? Is "getting good stuff" enough to overlook the 500lb gorilla in the corner?
Everyone talking about the quality of the man is in the right area, I think. If your car salesman is a liar, your only going to loose money. If this guy was teaching people how to sell things, and he turned out to be a liar about his personal success in sales, he would be out of business.

The military people have no respect for his claims and don't respect his lies from reading the links. They have done it for real. If they think the person is more important than the skill, why aren't people reading the signs? The lies could mean his art is not proven too.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm surprised this thread has lasted the 13 posts that it has...

[sarcasm]Boys and girls, have we not learned anything from the lectures on that "other" thread? Have we not taken the lessons our esteemed staff have seen fit to gift us with to heart? Mr. Gyi is not here to defend himself, so we had all best cease and desist...[/sarcasm]

:rolleyes:

This quote is exactly why these kinds of threads, ongoing and more than just links to other sites, need to be allowed:

RichK said:
He is incredable and his "war stories" are not questionable.

Whether it is Gyi, Dillman, Mooney, or any number of other people who make claims that are either wholly fraudulent or patently absurd, sometimes people just won't believe that the story they've swallowed, regardless who they received it from, might be a lie.

And there's a huge difference between teaching HTH to Marines, being in the Marines, and being in combat with the Marines.

Whatever. I expect righteous discipline to fall from the sky like sheets of flame at any moment...

:rolleyes: <= My most often used and most favorite smiley.

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
1) I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I'm surprised this thread has lasted the 13 posts that it has...

2) Whether it is Gyi, Dillman, Mooney, or any number of other people who make claims that are either wholly fraudulent or patently absurd, sometimes people just won't believe that the story they've swallowed, regardless who they received it from, might be a lie.

3) And there's a huge difference between teaching HTH to Marines, being in the Marines, and being in combat with the Marines.

1) Amen to that
2) Good God I had forgotten about Mooney. Yes, some people are more into the myth than the martial side of the arts.
3) Which goes back to what I said before…..training military people is not exactly what it seems. Odd how Gyi is not mentioned in the Marine Corps Martial Arts Handbook…..you would think a person that had such a great rapport would be in it or at least mentioned in it.

I have always found that the people (members or staff) that cry foul or show animosity towards threads that expose individuals are usually the ones with a few skeletons in their closet concerning their own training……maybe these threads hit too close to home…. ;)

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
Whatever. I expect righteous discipline to fall from the sky like sheets of flame at any moment...
Why? There was absolutely nothing wrong with this thread until your last post. I'm disappointed in your behaviour over this matter, Matt. You seem to be taking things far too personally. I am but one of the staff who would have been more than vigorous in applying to keep this thread open and the topic discussable, if for no other reason than to prove you and Robert wrong in your claims of staff conspiracy. But with your generalizations regarding the way this board is managed and moderated, you've sold me up the river and lost an advocate. I don't understand what has precipitated this uncharacteristic departure from reasonability.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Why? There was absolutely nothing wrong with this thread until your last post. I'm disappointed in your behaviour over this matter, Matt. You seem to be taking things far too personally. I am but one of the staff who would have been more than vigorous in applying to keep this thread open and the topic discussable, if for no other reason than to prove you and Robert wrong in your claims of staff conspiracy. But with your generalizations regarding the way this board is manged and moderated, you've sold me up the river and lost an advocate. I don't understand what has precipitated this uncharacteristic departure from reasonability.
Seconded.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Apparently, Martial Arts and POW rescue missions are not the entire extent of his skills...

http://www.reikibutterfly.com/What_I_Teach.html

In the tumultuous year of 2001 I had the great fortune of meeting and training with a living legend, the renowned Grandmaster, Dr. Maung Gyi. Initially meeting him at a martial arts seminar, it immediately became evident that Dr. Gyi was in possession of vast amounts of experience and rare knowledge not only of Asian martial arts, but also Asian yogic, healing, spiritual, and medical arts. He is a truly unique and gifted individual. Dr. Gyi has visited us several times since then to teach energy healing and various yogic and martial arts. In my Reiki classes I share several simple and wonderful energy healing techniques which he has taught me which compliment and enhance the practice of Reiki. Many of these are similar to "Japanese" Reiki techniques, and come from Dr. Gyi's unique experiences, such as serving as an apprentice under the healing Master in a Northern Burmese Temple after World War II. Dr. Gyi has also worked with His Holiness The Dalai Lama and many other gifted teachers for the past 60 years.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps the impending "retirement" has its roots in declining seminar attendance due to the recent "bad press"?

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies117.htm
The 2002 "Bando Military Camp" drew perhaps 60-percent fewer participants compared to 2001's event. A participant this year, Cleave Andes, an Ohio University professor emeritus and long-time resident of Athens, commented: "It is interesting to note that Gyi no longer has the cult-like following of years past. Gyi is finding it hasn't been that easy to keep the faithful and recruit new blood in his little private group. I feel that the [veterans groups'] Web sites have done a real job telling the world that Maung is a legend in his own mind."

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Perhaps the impending "retirement" has its roots in declining seminar attendance due to the recent "bad press"?

I doubt that. The camps are for people that are looking for a certain type of training environment. The camps are done rain or shine in a state park. The weather has a way of affecting your training experience. I’ve been to two of them. I’m glad I did them, but don’t plan on repeating the experience. I prefer to train in a school, college or hotels for the camps. Nothing wrong with outdoor training, I just prefer the predictability of training indoors.

Latest Discussions