Increasing recovery time.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Like I said, I'll be going down to 3 times per week, with the intense sessions. And then training chi gung and yoga more. Will see how that goes.
here is another great program I have done and I have done them all this is one of my favorites the first time I qualified for nationals it was doing EDT, on a 20:4 intermittent fast, and as a.....VEGAN. dun dun DUN! LOL

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well, martial arts is a method for dealing with the stresses of life. Of course, its necessary for it to not also be a source of stress.

I'd agree that too much of certain types of training, is counter productive. Even seated meditation, can exacerbate back problems if the seating pose is incorrect and held for longer than the body is accustomed to. In fact, hatha yoga came about to rectify the problems that Buddhist mediators were experience in around 500AD, sitting for a long time when the body wasn't prepared for it.

True about the soccer players, and top athletes. Rest is indeed important.
it´s called overtraining i also believe you are not getting enough nutrition. most people who starve themselves never want to admit this. Even men have problems with this.

minn8325

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it´s called overtraining i also believe you are not getting enough nutrition. most people who starve themselves never want to admit this. Even men have problems with this.

he hasn’t posted his work outs so you know nothing about if he is overtrained

All you know about his nutrition is he said he’s a vegan which means nothing because I went to worlds twice as a vegan weight lifter.

Lisa I would suggest you stay in your lane and take it down a notch.

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
So the bane of my training, has been the next day 'hangover.'

Wouldn't say its an age thing either, been happening since I was 15 years old. Functioning the next day can be very challenging, when all you want to do is sleep. And that's after 9 hours of sleep.

Lately, I'm trying to train as much as possible. I get 4-5 intense weekly sessions, and then my own gentle practice.

Don't drink,smoke nor take drugs. Junk food is low to non existent.

I know that we're supposed to get enough sleep, eat well and hydrate. Avoiding stress is probably key, but my way of dealing with stress is to train!

Any tips, much appreciated.
Protein and stretching(as well as plenty of sleep) has helped my recovery time. Intense training is a great stress reliever, but an extra day of recovery can help you train more intensely in fewer workouts.

Lisa lyons

Orange Belt
Reaction score
how about you wind your neck in :)
Guy whines about being weak & tired people try & help & he does not accept any advices. I can at least listen to people & admit i am needing advices. Most Vegetarians just are against anything else. will not accept anything else. other people have said he´s overtrained. don´t care what he does TBH but i do not need people like you to attack me on here, you Bully !

Last edited:
OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
how about you wind your neck in :)
Guy whines about being weak & tired people try & help & he does not accept any advices. I can at least listen to people & admit i am needing advices. Most Vegetarians just are against anything else. will not accept anything else. other people have said he´s overtrained. don´t care what he does TBH but i do not need people like you to attack me on here, you Bully !

Well Lisa, if you think I'm weak you can come and train with me sometime.

As someone else pointed out to you on another thread, if you're going to have this attitude and negativity in a martial arts club, you will be asked to leave.

I've been taking on other peoples advice, but not yours as you have nothing to say.

You haven't actually done martial arts, just seemed to have joined to give your non experience and argue with people online.

I'd suggest you focus on being a more pleasant person first, then perhaps doors in life will open for you.

Last edited:
OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
he hasn’t posted his work outs so you know nothing about if he is overtrained

All you know about his nutrition is he said he’s a vegan which means nothing because I went to worlds twice as a vegan weight lifter.

Be interested to hear your favorite foods for training.

OP
P

PhilE

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To give an update, I did 11 intense sessions in a week last month. Inevitably there was some tiredness there, but since then I've been training six times per week but alternating the sessions. So we have the option of doing a more gentle class focused on self defense, or full on sports TaeKwonDo. Been alternating, which has been a little kinder on the body.

What's great about this club, is that there is a focus on stretching and warming up, often missing in some clubs. That combined with the ability to step straight into a hot bath with bath salts, has meant that I have had no injuries thus far, whatsoever.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
To give an update, I did 11 intense sessions in a week last month. Inevitably there was some tiredness there, but since then I've been training six times per week but alternating the sessions. So we have the option of doing a more gentle class focused on self defense, or full on sports TaeKwonDo. Been alternating, which has been a little kinder on the body.

What's great about this club, is that there is a focus on stretching and warming up, often missing in some clubs. That combined with the ability to step straight into a hot bath with bath salts, has meant that I have had no injuries thus far, whatsoever.
That's awesome to hear man, you may be onto something there for sure, if alternating those sessions works for you keep it up! Learning what works for your body in terms of what best helps it recover is definitely important

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the bane of my training, has been the next day 'hangover.'

Wouldn't say its an age thing either, been happening since I was 15 years old. Functioning the next day can be very challenging, when all you want to do is sleep. And that's after 9 hours of sleep.

Lately, I'm trying to train as much as possible. I get 4-5 intense weekly sessions, and then my own gentle practice.

Don't drink,smoke nor take drugs. Junk food is low to non existent.

I know that we're supposed to get enough sleep, eat well and hydrate. Avoiding stress is probably key, but my way of dealing with stress is to train!

Any tips, much appreciated.
One of the best things I ever did was get checked out by a nutritionist.
I played college football and stayed very active up into my 30's. For several years I played/competed or practiced 5-6 days/week, 3-5 hours/day. Honest. Plus, we live a very active farming lifestyle.
Looking back, I can recognize the "hangover" even in my early years and it got worse as I aged.
Turned out I was extremely deficient in one hormone my whole life; a genetic thing. She treated me with supplements and made a few changes in diet and I cannot describe the difference. I still take potassium and magnesium and selenium but am not nearly as active as I was back then.
Don't underestimate even mild dehydration either. It is an energy killer.

All that said I fully believe there is a binge effect for some people that is different for everyone. What may be a 'hard' workout for some is average for others. You may be on one side or the other of an ideal workout level.

Latest Discussions