Increasing Flexibilty - Need Suggestions

T

Tae Kwon Doughboy

KennethKu said:
There is no need to stretch the ligaments to perform even the most advanced gymnastic and martial art skills.

1. Don't screw with the anatomical function of the joints, ie. don't make them bend in ways they are not built to.

2. If you feel discomfort or pain in the joint, then you are most likely stretching the ligaments.

For further info: www.dragondoor.com , Relax into Stretch, by Pavel Tsatsourine. Highly recommended.

Just ordered and received the Relax into Stretch book and DVD Thursday and I can already see progress. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find dynamic stretching for a couple of min's in the morning helpful.

I have been wanting to try yoga for a while now and I have just ordered a DVD from Amazon called Yoga for Martial Arts which I am looking forward to getting, will let you know what it is like.

G

Gary Crawford

All great advise!I especially like Chicago Green Dragons about using your mind.It works for me,at least"I think" it works! LOL.Sil Lum TigerLady,I'm very suprised that you have flexability issues.Guys,I have had the pleasure of feasting my eyes on her,and let me tell you,she has one of the prettiest slender figures I have ever seen!Don't tell your bettter half I said that!I wouldn't want him to get the wrong idea,just telling it how it is.I think your instructor Master Lang should have some good sugestions about relaxation and stretching.

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks again for all the helpful suggestions.
Hi Sarah, welcome, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Yoga for MA's DVD. Please post an update when you get it.

Gary, you're making me blush...
The relaxation thing that Chicago Green Dragon and you have mentioned is good to keep in mind as I think alot of the muscle tension had to do with some stress at the time.

By following all the great suggestions that tension has been released and my muscles look and feel like they used too...the stretch reflex has been reset. Now I feel the muscle mass has relaxed and is not bunched up all the time. Feels muuuch better! :)

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kurz's "Stretching Scientifically" is indeed an effective program. The isometrics are painful and can add an inch or so of muscle to your thighs...but it works.

Sadly, when he came out with his first book and tape (the latter was boring beyond belief) he failed to mention some key things about positioning of the pelvis, core strength development in the back, etc. He addressed these later in subsequent editions of the book and tape (which was much more entertaining the second time around).

After starting the exercises (as mentioned in the first book) I developed a severe sacro-ilial dysfunction. I finally got it cleared up, and have yet to go back to stretches. I never determined that the exercises caused this, and have no evidence to indicate they did. Still...make sure your pelvis is tilted properly when doing the side splits...and build up that core strength. Doing the exercises with less intensity can be effective, too.

It was an effective program, and I plan on trying it out again once the knee heals.

Regards,

Steve

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:

I have been wanting to try yoga for a while now and I have just ordered a DVD from Amazon called Yoga for Martial Arts which I am looking forward to getting, will let you know what it is like.
Hey Sarah,

Sorry i didn't see your post earlier, I believe i have the video you are talking about. Although there are two different videos with similar names. The one i have is by Dawn Lesinski. I am a Yoga Alliance registered and certified yoga instructor and teach yoga on a daily basis as well as being a martial arts practitioner and instructor. I found this tape useful, and the postures to be the standard seen in most general hatha yoga classes. If you are beginning a yoga practice, then this tape would be fine. I found the flow a little distracting presentation wise because they would keep stopping and introduce a new posture and then show it in sequence. But at the end they kind of put it all together.

As part of my own black belt thesis i did a yoga video for martial artists, that incorporated yoga stretches to meet the needs of ma's in terms of flexibility, balance, strength and focus. I referenced postures in terms of their ability to aid in kicking, stances, core strength and stability and shoulder flexibility. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask or pm me. I also highly recommend you visit the website at Yogajournal.com to review any yoga postures that you may need further information on. I hope you enjoy the amazon video.

Kenpo Mama :ultracool

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:

Hi Sarah,

Just came back to this thread and wanted to know if you got a chance to view the Yoga for Martial Arts dvd? How is it working out?

Donna

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
Hi Sarah,

Just came back to this thread and wanted to know if you got a chance to view the Yoga for Martial Arts dvd? How is it working out?

Donna
The DVD is really good...however if you have done Yoga before it would be to basic. I would defiantly recommend it if you just wonted to do a bit of Yoga stretching on the side.

I have actually started going to Yoga classes as well.

I am not one of the 'flexible people' at our Dojo so it has been something I have been working on for a while. I had to giggle when my Yoga Instructor told me I have a very flexible body.. So I got a bit of a reality check, I may not be flexible in TKD standards but for an average person I am very flexible.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
The DVD is really good...however if you have done Yoga before it would be to basic. I would defiantly recommend it if you just wonted to do a bit of Yoga stretching on the side.

I have actually started going to Yoga classes as well.

I am not one of the 'flexible people' at our Dojo so it has been something I have been working on for a while. I had to giggle when my Yoga Instructor told me I have a very flexible body.. So I got a bit of a reality check, I may not be flexible in TKD standards but for an average person I am very flexible.

That's great Sarah, if you go back upthread you'll see that i pretty much practice yoga on a daily basis. You may be flexible in different areas of the body, so i might not be just your hips that the yoga instructor is looking at.

Keep working the standing poses like warrior 2 and extended side angle and the pigeon poses and your pre-splits and seated angle poses for maximum flexibility in the hips, to work up to those splits for tkd - you'll notice a big difference with some diligent practice.

What type of yoga classes are you going to?

Donna

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
Iyengar Yoga.

I dont know the different Type's...I just found an Instructor that had a class on the day I had a morning free.

I only go once a week at the moment, but am quite enjoying it so will proberbly try and pick up another class.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Sarah said:
Iyengar Yoga.

I dont know the different Type's...I just found an Instructor that had a class on the day I had a morning free.

I only go once a week at the moment, but am quite enjoying it so will proberbly try and pick up another class.
Iyengar is terrific, perfect for beginners and seasoned practitioners alike. You will learn proper alignment principles and get a great stretch and workout to boot! 2-3 times a week is recommended (i have some students that go 5-6 times a week). It is difficult to get more than two classes a week in when you are working or schooling and also practicing martial arts, so it sounds like you're doing well. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Donna

G

gumo9

hello everyone

Just thought I'd chip in to this one. I've not seen the book "scientific stretching" but it sounds really good. Just a couple of points to back up what has already been said and a few to add....

Dynamic stretching is really good after warm-up (as mentioned before) and should be done in a controlled manner. This is where it really differs from ballistic stretching. Another good thing about dynamic stretching is that you can make it specific to your activity, ie. controlled kicking, punching or rotating type movements that are similar to the techniques of your art.

Recent research suggests that static stretching before exercise could actually increase your risk of injury. Static stretching should be done after exercise as it prepares the muscle for rest (as opposed to dynamic stretching which prepares you for activity). As a general guideline, hold a static stretch for 10 seconds for maintainence stretching and 3 sets of 15 seconds or more for developmental stretching.

PNF stretches (Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation) usually yield excellent results and you can do these with a partner after training. Get your partner to take a limb to it's point of bind (the point where the limb has reached the limit of its range of movement). You then push against your partner with that limb for 15 seconds or so. You then relax and your partner eases off the stretch. Your partner then takes the limb to its new improved point of bind and you repeat the activity a couple of times.

Mobility exercises in the morning are great. While we are asleep we tend not to use our joints much so the body doesn't lubricate them. Move your arms and legs about when you get up and the body will start producing synovial fluid to lubricate the joints, so we loosen up nicely after the initial morning stiffness.

Somebody earlier mentioned quite rightly about not trying to stretch ligaments. Yep, spot on ! we also need to think about the type of joint we are stretching too - the shoulder joint for example is a very mobile joint and therefore quite unstable. a good deal of the shoulder joint's active and passive stability relies on muscles and tendons so stretching these too much could result in injuries.

Finally, about stretching the ancillaries first before the main muscle.... I'd love to have a read of the book as this sounds interesting.

Just my 2 peneth. I've realy enjoyed reading these posts,

seeya

Graham
Manchester, UK

bobster_ice

Black Belt
Reaction score
listen, your doing it all wrong, excersize and then stretch, u need to warm your body up before you stretch

I hope my advice helps.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
bobster_ice said:
listen, your doing it all wrong, excersize and then stretch, u need to warm your body up before you stretch

I hope my advice helps.

Or, warm up-stretch-exercise-stretch. Many earlier posts mentioned being "warm" first.

This is an excellent thread...should archived or something. Thanks Hardhead and other for the break down of "Stretching Scientifically" as I've been curious of that book for some time.

samurai69

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its important to warm up first.<<<<<<<<<<<<THE MOST IMPORTANT BIT

then try PNF and MET stretches .... these will improve flexibility faster than most forms of stretching as they help fool the stretch reflex (golgi tendon)

What Pavel says is excellent advice too

there is a form of dynamic stretching (do after PNF) that will help you mantain 80+% of increased flexibility throughout the day (might have been mentioned in "scientific stretching"

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok, heres the dumb question:
What constitutes a warm up?

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
ok, heres the dumb question:
What constitutes a warm up?

Two basic types: General, Specific. The purpose of both is to increase core body temperature (if you break a sweat you should be good), increase heart rate, increase blood flow to the muscles/joints, in the specific warm-up the increase in blood flow and "joint lubing" will be area specific.

Always warm-up for physical activity (includes stretching) unless what you are training for does not allow for that.

Latest Discussions