Incorporating boxing drills in Kenpo

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Hot and humid... Currently unaffiliated, there are a few instructors down here (very few), but you can find some. Right now I just train with a couple of guys out of the garage. Techniques, concepts, etc....not really authorized to promote anyone. But I am a 2nd Brown with honors (meaning I was a green belt for 7 years):D .

jb :asian:

Currently unaffiliated?

That's not what I heard. A little birdie told me differently.:confused:

OP
ikenpo

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

Currently unaffiliated?

That's not what I heard. A little birdie told me differently.:confused:

Richardo,

It is still a sensitive subject for me, but so you know I haven't "committed" to training with anyone at this point. There are many variables that play into it. Cost, distance, curriculum...

jb:asian:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by jbkenpo

Richardo,

It is still a sensitive subject for me, but so you know I haven't "committed" to training with anyone at this point. There are many variables that play into it. Cost, distance, curriculum...

jb:asian:

Sorry Bro, I'll step off. Don't wanna mess with them Houston fighters!:eek:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

trouble again.............. - one tail feather.........

:asian:

Dang it, where is that "Super Glue!":eek:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... not speedball, oh illustrious one. A speedball is a combination of heroin and cocaine. Sounds like a good way to get your clock cleaned - permanently.

Anyhow, we us boxing drills including double jab, 3-punch, 4-punch, and 5-punch drills shadow boxing and with focus mitts. For beginners the focus mitts offer a nice way to get some target acquisition skills. We also do some bobbing, weaving and slipping with footwork drills.

I think this is important, not so much for our skill set, which it does help, but so we can recognize and deal with the types of fighters in the real world and not fight their fight. We need to be able to distinguish a Tae-Kwon-Do kicker from a grappler or boxer and engage with the appropriate mental construct or range of responses. DON'T TRY TO OUT KICK A KICKER OR OUT BOX A BOXER, DITTO FOR A GRAPPLER. At least not in real self-defense techniques.

We also like heavy bags, tai kickboxing bag (floor to ceiling), but I do not have a 2-ended bag hung right now. I like those because they try to hit back.

Whappity-Whap! It's all good! It ends up being all Kenpo if you are not careful ... or maybe that's my point.

Oos,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So are you really trying to take over Texas? I thought that was Mr. Conatser's goal.

I have a 2nd Black down in Houston now. He came up in the IKKA under Curtis Abernathy as a colored belt, then me for Browns and Blacks. Rod Henson is his name and I am sure he would like to find some Kenpo down in Houston similar to what he knows already. He was in New Orleons for a couple of years also, so he worked out with Huk for that couple of years. Highly skilled, with a great training ethic and athletic as they come. A tough kinda guy ... he is an engineer so he also has a logical approach to the Art. Let me know some email addresses, who you are and who the AKKI advisor is. AKKI stuff is different from what Rod does, but maybe he can accomadate to a different set of techniques, drills, and patterns.

Thanks,
-Michael
UKS-Texas

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mr. Billings is correct, it's called a speed bag, hmmm the all knowing omnipotent one got one wrong.

I wonder if that means they're serving angel food cake in Hades now :shrug:

My kenpo instructor was telling me I should use the 2 ended ball for practicing the self defense techniques on. Now I want to get one and get started on using it to see what he was talking about. :cool:

R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

Speed bag, speed ball....... I just love to smack em.... in several different ways.

That sounds like me, you're talking about. Oh, BTW, Happy Fathers Day!:cheers:

S

Stick Dummy

Geeze,

Now I'm confused..........

I have one of them thar 12" leather balls with a elastic cord on either end designed to be affixed to floor and ceiling with hooks, and I was always told it was a "Speed Ball".

The Speed bag is the wee bitty one, and Power bag is the larger one that mount on the "ring" frame right?

KenpoTess,

Glad you enjoyed the change of pace in sparring, and thank you for allowing me to participate in your class.