In 25 Years AIDs set to become 3rd leading cause of death

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From the following link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061128/ap_on_he_me/aids_global_deaths

LONDON - Within the next 25 years, AIDS is set to join heart disease and stroke as the top three causes of death worldwide, according to a study published online Monday.
When global mortality projections were last calculated a decade ago, researchers had assumed the number of AIDS cases would be declining. Instead, it's on the rise.
Currently ranked fourth behind heart disease, stroke, and respiratory infections, AIDS is set to become No. 3, say researchers in a new report in the Public Library of Science's Medicine journal. It accounts for about 2.8 million deaths every year. But the researchers estimate a total of nearly 120 million people could die in the next 25 years.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not entirely surprising. It's going to be exceptionally difficult, if at all possible, to find a cure for AIDS, and unless the people of the world modify their behavior, it's not going to get any better.

Simply put, the virus mutates at a rapid rate, thanks to some error prone machinery.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow, and I always thought it was a roundhouse kick from Mr. Norris that held the #3 spot.... sorry Chuck :idunno:

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is ripping through Africa. And the sad thing is, unless we make changes in the social fabric, it is not going to get better. And if we try that, we run the risk of being accused of pushing our values on other cultures.

But in many countries women have no right to get anything from their husband if they leave him. So they stay even when they know their husband is using prostitutes. He gets AIDs and passes it on to her, they both die and the kids probably will die due to poverty.

And the alternative medicines they have and try instead of real medicine are part of the problem. In some places, the witch doctors say that AIDs victims can be cured by having sex with a virgin. I could go on with stories of things like ritual scarring done with a community knife, health ministers that deny that HIV is linked to AIDs, etc. But the fact is, the ignorance of a lot of the world is fueling this thing. AIDs is not getting worse in the western world AFAIK. So this rise on an international level means that the number of cases in the third world is so large that it is still throwing the numbers off.

Oh, and the medicine they are using is not being used correctly. We now have cases of TB that can't be cured because someone stopped mid way through the process and a drug resistant strain evolved as a result. The same thing is feared for AIDS. The stuff the west uses to keep people alive may be blown away by new strains as a result of poor medical services in third world nations.

OP
Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It is ripping through Africa. And the sad thing is, unless we make changes in the social fabric, it is not going to get better. And if we try that, we run the risk of being accused of pushing our values on other cultures.

But in many countries women have no right to get anything from their husband if they leave him. So they stay even when they know their husband is using prostitutes. He gets AIDs and passes it on to her, they both die and the kids probably will die due to poverty.

And the alternative medicines they have and try instead of real medicine are part of the problem. In some places, the witch doctors say that AIDs victims can be cured by having sex with a virgin. I could go on with stories of things like ritual scarring done with a community knife, health ministers that deny that HIV is linked to AIDs, etc. But the fact is, the ignorance of a lot of the world is fueling this thing. AIDs is not getting worse in the western world AFAIK. So this rise on an international level means that the number of cases in the third world is so large that it is still throwing the numbers off.

Oh, and the medicine they are using is not being used correctly. We now have cases of TB that can't be cured because someone stopped mid way through the process and a drug resistant strain evolved as a result. The same thing is feared for AIDS. The stuff the west uses to keep people alive may be blown away by new strains as a result of poor medical services in third world nations.

Don et al,

Two points if I may.

1) Look up Polio Vaccines and Aids and test done in Africa and then the spread there of.

2) It was the Western Culture that went in and gave them our "Values" or way of life, that no prohibits their old forms of birth control or that having food to feed a child is more important than having another child just to have the child.

So, if you look at point one are we not responsible to assist?

Or

If we look at point two are we not responsible to assist?

I do not know how best to assist, nor do I have the answers. :(