Impossiblility?

KakashiHakate

White Belt
Reaction score
Everyone suggsted to check the section out, And there are no dojo's around that i can attend. I checked the list and did some looking up. Thanks to you guys who posted the info, but It didnt work out. So, I have a question.

Is it absolutly impossible to self-teach yourself the art of Ninjutsu?

If that cant work at all, is it possible to have a private Sensei? I know somone who possibly can help.

Thank you.
Kakashi

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe it is impossible to teach yourself. Where are you located (city/state/country)? Sometimes there are people around who are not listed.

What do you mean by Private Sensei?

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is it absolutly impossible to self-teach yourself the art of Ninjutsu?

Yes.

If that cant work at all, is it possible to have a private Sensei? I know somone who possibly can help.

Thank you.
Kakashi

If that person is qualified as a Ninjutsu instructor, that is a great way to go if there are no dojos in your area. If it is someone who is trained in another art, then it wouldn't be Ninjutsu you are training in.

It would be like me calling and hiring a Plumber to do electrical work. Sure the person is skilled and may be the best in his field, but, he isn't an electrician. Same for the MA's. Yes they may give great insight for some things; but if they are not trained in the art, there is too much that is in the fine points that make it work right. Just like any art, I would not expect to get good TKD training under a Ninjutsu instructor, so it would be absurd to expect good Ninjutsu training under any other style instructor.

Good luck in your quest to find training.

bcbernam777

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I am not familiar with Ninjitsu, but I would say that it is impossible to learn any MA without a competant teacher, and to try is to only teach yourself a whole heap of bad habits

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys, I'm gonna differ from your opinion here for a second.

It is ABSOLUTLEY possible to self teach yourself... Lots of people do it.

It is just ABSOLUTLEY IMPOSSIBLE to self teach yourself CORRECTLY...

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys, I'm gonna differ from your opinion here for a second.

It is ABSOLUTLEY possible to self teach yourself... Lots of people do it.

It is just ABSOLUTLEY IMPOSSIBLE to self teach yourself CORRECTLY...

OK, good point! :lfao:

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ditto in triplicate (does that make sense?) to what everyone has said. Don't even think for a second that you can do it yourself. The gaps between what you think you're doing, what you think you should be doing, what you are doing and what you actually should be doing, are way too great.

And don't fall into the trap of thinking that you can learn stuff just by looking at, or even studying a video of some technique or technique set. You already have to know most of what's going on in the area covered by the video to be able to incorporate the things that are demo'd into your own technique.

Repeat: don't, don't, don't try it, unless you feel you have a lot of time you can afford to waste.

OP
K

KakashiHakate

White Belt
Reaction score
I live in Plymouth, Massachusetts. I'm restriced because I can't drive yet. The closest school that I know that is listed is in Boston, a 1 hour drive one way. My parents would not go for that.

I do have a lot of spare time. Thank you for being considerate and giving me the chance to try self teaching. From what I have read on the forums and material, ninjutsu isn't about using set stances, forms, and moves. Its using those set items to give you a concept of where to start and letting you expand from there. Correct me if I'm worng, but be pateint, I'm still new to this.

The anoalogy of the plumber and the electrician was good. I suppose that might not work. I'm just trying every easy option first.

Thank you all.
Kakashi Hakate

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It would be like me calling and hiring a Plumber to do electrical work. Sure the person is skilled and may be the best in his field, but, he isn't an electrician. Same for the MA's. Yes they may give great insight for some things; but if they are not trained in the art, there is too much that is in the fine points that make it work right. Just like any art, I would not expect to get good TKD training under a Ninjutsu instructor, so it would be absurd to expect good Ninjutsu training under any other style instructor.

I like that analogy. A good plumber probably knows some basic electrical work (enough to hook up a dishwasher or disposal, etc.) -- but that doesn't mean he can rewire the house. Same thing with martial arts; I've got enough time in training in my style that I could probably look at some of the books and copy the stances and exercises. But it wouldn't really be Budo Taijutsu... It'd be some bastardized interpretation of it. Or I could probably work with some of the taijutsu practitioners here, and offer useful insights into an exercise that we were doing together -- but that doesn't make me a taijustu instructor, any more than being able to do some basic electrical work makes a plumber an electrician.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Every now and then I watch videos of people like Ron Balicki, Erik Paulson, Dan Inosanto, Tony Cecchine and Steve Gartin, and find myself able to incorporate small aspects of what they demonstrate into what I do when training. I would however never be able to do that without the delivery system I've gained from proper training with instructors.

Devil_Hanzo

White Belt
Reaction score
Dude I gotta say...I hate anime kids with a burning passion. But give me a break. Boston Martial Arts Center is in Allston, if your distance is an hour big friggin deal. If you can't do that, then don't train. Quit watching Naruto and find another hobby. My dojo is over 200 miles away and I don't complain about it, I'm thankful I have some place period. And if mommy and daddy can't take you, then wait till you get a license. Or take the train or a bus. Self teach? Give me a break. Next thing you'll be watching at home study courses and telling the other kids in your highschool you're a ninja.

"Hello there, I'm Dr. Smith. I'm a neurosurgeon, and I'll be operating on your brain today. I've never been to school, but I have watched videos on brain surgery and I read books about it all the time."

Gah sorry for venting but this crap is just...I can't even continue.

J.Goldschmidt

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dude I gotta say...I hate anime kids with a burning passion. But give me a break. Boston Martial Arts Center is in Allston, if your distance is an hour big friggin deal. If you can't do that, then don't train. Quit watching Naruto and find another hobby. My dojo is over 200 miles away and I don't complain about it, I'm thankful I have some place period. And if mommy and daddy can't take you, then wait till you get a license. Or take the train or a bus. Self teach? Give me a break. Next thing you'll be watching at home study courses and telling the other kids in your highschool you're a ninja.

"Hello there, I'm Dr. Smith. I'm a neurosurgeon, and I'll be operating on your brain today. I've never been to school, but I have watched videos on brain surgery and I read books about it all the time."

Gah sorry for venting but this crap is just...I can't even continue.

Don't you think you were being a little harsh there? He wants to learn, and thats whats important.

There are NO stupid questions only Stupid Answers.

Anyways Kakashi, here is what I would do, Call the Dojo, ask the instructor if anyone lives out by you and see if you can car-pool with someone to the dojo and make sure you offer up some gas money.

Don't worry about Hanzo I guess some people were born 21 and with a drivers liscense :rolleyes:. It sucks not being able to drive or not having a car.. when I was 18 I was taking a train down to where I was training for along time when my car was in the shop.. Speaking of trains.. if there is one by you maybe that is an option?

Best Regards.

Devil_Hanzo

White Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I was being harsh and I apologize, but you know those Naruto kids. I don't think further explanation is necessary.

stephen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anyways Kakashi, here is what I would do, Call the Dojo, ask the instructor if anyone lives out by you and see if you can car-pool with someone to the dojo and make sure you offer up some gas money.

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Nimravus said:
What gender are you?

?????