I'm having a computer issue and I am going to throw my computer out the window and...

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
.... live in my shed in my yard and swear off all technology for the rest of my life. ;)

O.K....this isn't a tech issue specifically having to do with this board, but I was hoping that someone smarter then I could help me anyways! :)

I am trying to update my Java script. Without it, I can't update my geocities website. My plan was to work off geocities to update my site, send Bob the files along with some doe so he could work his magic and get the content up on my actual domain name.

Anyways, I get to this page: http://java.com/en/download/windows_ie.jsp

I click "Begin Download" and I get this..

alert-activex.gif

So I click on it to download ActiveX, I get this...

5000010204.jpg

I click "install," then I get the "Windows installer" window. It says "preparing to install," but it is just stuck there.

That's it. I get stuck on "preparing to install." WTF?

Now, my only thought is that maybe I have to disable a popup blocker or firewall or virus blocker of some sort, but I am not sure exactly how to do all of that. I disabled my norton once already and tried it and got the same results, though.

So, any of you wizards got ANY suggestions for me?

If not, how about some suggestions on who I can call to figure this out?

If not....then that is fine. I will be living in my shed if anyone needs me....

Paul

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not sure, active-x is something I avoid...

Can always give the offline instalation a try:
http://java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp

Download the file and run it locally.

ps: Javascript is built into your browser, what it looks like you are trying to get is the Java run time environment, which is entirely seperate from javascript.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
OK...all I know is that when I try to access page builder on geocities, I can't do it. It won't even respond. The geocities suggestion was that I might need to update java. I don't know...

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have had problems updating Java versions before that seemed to be a problem of accessing the server where the update is kept, rather than a problem with my computer.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Phil Elmore said:
I have had problems updating Java versions before that seemed to be a problem of accessing the server where the update is kept, rather than a problem with my computer.

I ended up figuring out the Java part, finally; I think I was having a similar problem.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
O.K...I can't access "pagebuilder" so I can work on my geocities cite; that is the real problem that I am havinig.

I did everything listed here, but still nothing! http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/builder/builder-06.html

I have some other stuff I'll try, but I am basically out of suggestions.

Does anyone have an idea what might be the problem?

Help would be appreciated!

Paul

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
O.K...I can't access "pagebuilder" so I can work on my geocities cite; that is the real problem that I am havinig.

I did everything listed here, but still nothing! http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/geo/builder/builder-06.html

Paul

Try running linux :uhyeah:

...Or...

Disable any and all pop up blockers and or spyware (temporarily)
manually uninstall JRE (java runtime environment) and reinstall using the offline version (try using this link from oldversion.com http://oldversion.com/download.php?idlong=51ddf4ef924cec632ba003524ea687e1)
oh... and use firefox

and if all above fail... proceed with your original course of action​

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:

Paul

What is pagebuilder?

When you say you cannot access it, what do you mean? DO you have a screen print of your issues?

Feel free to ping me at any of my IMs if it's easier.

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
What is pagebuilder?

When you say you cannot access it, what do you mean? DO you have a screen print of your issues?

Feel free to ping me at any of my IMs if it's easier.

Nope, no screen print.

"Page Builder" is the website design software that is available online through Geocities. When I go to open a file, a page builder message pops up which says "If page builder does not automatically load, click here" I click, and nothing happends. Nothing at all.

On my old computer before it crashed, page builder would automatically load when I would open a geocities webfile. With my new computer which is much more up to date and better, I get nothing.

This sucks.

Paul

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This may be way too obvious ... but ...

What are the security settings on your Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet Options - Security Tab? Could you have a level of security that is preventing the pagebuilding to run?

Also, the Advanced tab has a Security group in options .... 'Allow files to run on my computer' ... type of thing?

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
http://pagebuilder.yahoo.com/members/tools/pagebuilder/html/externalcontrol.html?pbserver%3D%22http%3A//pagebuilder.yahoo.com%22%3BcloseWindow%3Dtrue%3BstartPageBuilder%28%22/user/.pages/bio.page%22%2C%20%22%22%2C%20%22us.z%22%29%3B

There is the link to the pagebuilder icon I can't access.

Michael, no suggestion would be too obvious at this point. I appreciate the help.

To tell you the truth, besides disabling my popup blocker or Norten, I have no idea what security settings would be blocking pagebuilder, or how I would turn them off. Suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

Paul

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Also, because I have the latest and greatest of Internet explorer that I updated, I can't find anything on my damn toolbar. I can't even cut and paste at the moment. I will try to find security settings though in this mess and see if messing with security settings doesn anything for me. What the hell, couldn't hurt...

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
O.K....I found my cut and paste. wHore-A, me so smeart.

I found my security settings. enabled everything and tried it and it didn't work. I am going to try to uninstall Java and reinstall and see what happends, I guess. Then I'll defrag and a look for viruses and ****. Did I mention that I haven't been able to work PDF files either? Don't know if these problems are related....

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Scan for spyware
Scan for Viruses
Scan Disk & Defrag
Reinstall Java
Try installing FireFox

Bout all I can think of. right now. :(

OP
Cruentus

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
I think it's time to give up on Geocities and move the site somewhere else ;)

That's what I would like to do, but I need to get in there to do it.

Well, thanks for everyones help.

My computer is updated, defraged, scanned, Java updated and re-Javaupdated, and firefoxed. I still can't get into pagebuilder, so I have no idea WTF. This pisses me off because that has been an all day project, in between other things.

Oh well. If anyone has any suggestions, cool. But, it looks like I am going to have to try another avenue. Grrr...

Paul

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is one HUGE java app you are trying to load, Paul.

Your IE files are overloaded with remnants of past web pages. Somewhere I wrote down a few tricks that clean out more than just the button on the internet options page. I've seen a few browsers that get snarled running ferociously large java apps because of this. Installing FireFox may help because with a new browser, you won't have had the chance to fill up it's cache files yet ;)

Do a complete spyware scan with Ad-Aware or equivalent (Ad-Aware is the one I swear by) and make sure you have an absolutely up to date definitions file...and be sure to do a full stop/start of the computer. Shut the machine dead off, wait 30 secondes, then start again. Just hitting restart does NOT do the same thing, it does not allow the internal chipsets to drain.

In the mean time, I'll try to dig up my magic tricks. :D

Latest Discussions