IJF bans Judo athletes from participating in Bjj tournaments

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
When you take into account that he would have been speaking French and someone else has translated it into English I doubt we'll ever know what he meant.
LOL. K-man, French isn't a dead language. I asked a friend of mine who is fluent.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't know, Hanzou. It's very popular around here and has been for a long time. I think that there is a perception that Judo isn't "popular" that stems erroneously from a lack of marketing. In the USA, it is just typically run as non-profit. This means no marketing is done or needed, and there is little or no vested need to self-promote a dojo. BJJ, conversely, is very much "for profit" which means that a BJJ school owner has a vested interest in self-promotion and marketing.

ok there is the Olympics argument. But otherwise.

bjjs popularity due to its involvement with mma? judo gains popularity from bjj.

of course now judo is linked to mma.

popularity by the way would be the amount of people who come to see a judo nationals vs a mma fight. We get about just under a thousand to our local show.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
ok there is the Olympics argument. But otherwise.

bjjs popularity due to its involvement with mma? judo gains popularity from bjj.

of course now judo is linked to mma.

popularity by the way would be the amount of people who come to see a judo nationals vs a mma fight. We get about just under a thousand to our local show.
Saying that Judo has benefited from the popularity of MMA and BJJ is not the same as saying that Judo is only popular BECAUSE of MMA and BJJ.

In the USA, there haven't been many high profile Judoka in the UFC. I mean, there are people with strong grappling skills, but being marketed as Judoka. Prior to Rhonda Rousey, I can recall Karo Parysian being touted as a "Judo for MMA" guy. But that's about it.

That said, I'm just not sure that Judo is more popular as a result of MMA and BJJ. I think people are more aware of what Judo really entails as a result, but that's not necessarily getting them into the dojo. Judo has always been around and continues to plug right along. As a non-profit enterprise in the USA, it requires little marketing. And butts in seats is a measure where money is to be made. Butts in seats is as much about marketing and promotion as it is about the quality and interest in the sport. In "for profit" businesses such as an MMA promotion, it will be very important to sell tickets. In a non-profit organization, it's not really an accurate measure.

Last edited:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Perhaps someone with more French than me can answer ...

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
And ... ?
While I am pretty sure you're being coy again and are not genuinely interested in clarification, I'll take you at your word and try to explain what i meant.

You said:
Mmm! No. Close but not exactly what was said or what was meant ...
and then you went on to focus specifically on the term "killing each other." It seemed so, at least, because that's the part you emphasized by bolding it in the text you quoted. You seemed pretty confident that you knew what it meant in that post. I disagree with your interpretation, and I remain pretty sure it was a figure of speech. I don't believe that Rouge suggested literally that MMA athletes are trying to murder each other.

After I posted this, you completely changed your position of confidence that you knew what was said to the opposite:
I doubt we'll ever know what he meant.

I'm fine either way. If you didn't mean what you said in your first post, great. I understand. Frankly, I think you were just trying to bust Hanzou's balls a little because you don't care for him, and that's just human nature. But either way, we can know what he meant because French is not a dead language. Don't lose hope. We can know because there are a lot of people who understand it fluently, if not natively.

I hope that clears things up.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
While I am pretty sure you're being coy again and are not genuinely interested in clarification, I'll take you at your word and try to explain what i meant.
Well thank you for that. You make an incomplete statement and anyone who doesn't follow your train of thought is 'coy'. I wasn't being coy last time and I'm not being voyage this time. Get a life and stop being offensive.

You said: and then you went on to focus specifically on the term "killing each other." It seemed so, at least, because that's the part you emphasized by bolding it in the text you quoted. You seemed pretty confident that you knew what it meant in that post. I disagree with your interpretation, and I remain pretty sure it was a figure of speech. I don't believe that Rouge suggested literally that MMA athletes are trying to murder each other.
You are at liberty to disagree. That doesn't make either of us right or wrong. The fact that you changed the emphasis from killing each other (maybe hyperbole) to murder is interesting.

After I posted this, you completely changed your position of confidence that you knew what was said to the opposite: ..
Garbage. I haven't change my position at all. I don't speak French, the original interview was in French and translated into English. If you don't understand French idiom how do you know what was meant.

What I said was ... "So it is not necessarily that everyone competing in a martial art is stupid but it is a fact that people can be killed or permanently disabled. Even amateur bouts carry a high risk of injury."

I'm fine either way. If you didn't mean what you said in your first post, great. I understand. .
No, you don't understand and you seem to be going out of your way to misunderstand.

Frankly, I think you were just trying to bust Hanzou's balls a little because you don't care for him, and that's just human nature. But either way, we can know what he meant because French is not a dead language. Don't lose hope. We can know because there are a lot of people who understand it fluently, if not natively.

I hope that clears things up.
Offensive again. Get a life! This is nothing to do with Hanzou. He posted a reference to an interview with his own twist added. I responded. As to understanding. No you have no more understanding than me as you don't speak French or understand French idiom either, which is why I posted the French version to see if anyone out there could tell us exactly.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well thank you for that. You make an incomplete statement and anyone who doesn't follow your train of thought is 'coy'. I wasn't being coy last time and I'm not being voyage this time. Get a life and stop being offensive.
For what it's worth, my opinion is you're not all wrong, but also not all right. Were I to say, "Smoking marijuana is stupid," I'm not commenting that "everyone" who smokes weed is unintelligent. I'm commenting on the behavior. In this case, with a clear interest in promoting the IJF and denouncing MMA, Rouge attempts to characterize the behavior as stupid. It's clear, I think, that he is suggesting MMA is unnecessarily risky while downplaying the risks of Judo (as you said). However, he's not suggesting that they literally kill each other for sport. That was hyperbole on his part. And he's not suggesting that every person who trains or competes in MMA is stupid. He's commenting on the behavior.

And when I said you completely changed your opinion, I'm referring to your opinion about whether we can know what Rouge meant. That your opinion changed isn't any kind of deal at all. We all do this, from time to time. But, to deny it when it's so clear from one post to another just doesn't compute for me. I regret that this offends you, but I won't apologize for pointing it out.

You felt confident enough that you knew what Rouge REALLY meant to correct Hanzou. But when I pushed back, you said the opposite, that you doubt we could "ever really know what he meant." (emphasis mine).

My response to you is that we can actually know what he meant, because there are people who speak French. Short of actually piecing the four posts together, I can't see how this could be more clear.

I tried to connect the dots as best I could, K-man. If I was incomplete, asking a complete question would really help me answer you. You didn't, and so I inferred that you were being coy. It may be cultural, but your one word post, "And...?" is indicative of someone who is being coy... at least where I live. If that kind of communication is common and sincere in Australia, I get it. Are you saying that when you posted that, you were sincerely asking for clarification?

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are you saying that when you posted that, you were sincerely asking for clarification?
Actually yes.

And the dictionary definition of calling someone 'coy' is an insult. If I call someone ignorant I understand the term I am using. You are calling me coy after me pointing out that it's an insult and you continue to use the term. What does that say?

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
in my dictionary, coy means being evasive. Merriam Webster defines it as, "not telling or revealing all the information that could be revealed." I explained the specific behavior you exhibited that led me to believe that you were being evasive and reluctant to engage in open discussion (i.e. coy). That you take offense is, as I said, regrettable. It wasn't my intention to offend you, but I do stand by the statement.

And if you were sincerely asking for clarification, I'm glad I attempted to provide just that.