If You Were Transported 300 Years Into The Past With No Clothes Or Anything Else, How Would You Prov

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the spanards didnt own it in 1720, they didnt colonise it to 1769,

So who controlled Califorina in 1720? I feel a bit guilty asking the guy living in England North American history! lol

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It's bits of knowledge like that that'd give you a bit of a chance. You'd lack some of the survival skills folks routinely had then, but you'd already know some dangers they didn't.

Yes the knowledge of future events would help greatly in avoiding mistakes our ancestors made. But when I change the first event it could change everything there after. So history may change at that point and I would not benefit from that point on.

Doubt I could do anything to change worldwide events from happening but perhaps on the local level.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes the knowledge of future events would help greatly in avoiding mistakes our ancestors made. But when I change the first event it could change everything there after. So history may change at that point and I would not benefit from that point on.

Doubt I could do anything to change worldwide events from happening but perhaps on the local level.
It's not the specific events that matter, but the lessons you can get from them. It's not about stopping a specific party from getting stranded on Donner passs, but about not being (or having a friend) in a group that gets stuck there

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So who controlled Califorina in 1720? I feel a bit guilty asking the guy living in England North American history! lol
no one much, there were a few settlements, mostly spanish, but it wasnt a spanish colony, for another 50 years

spain was a bit of a busted flush by then, it got half of north america given to it in the 1760s, what was to become the Louisiana purchase, and it set of again being colonial.in the 1790 it gave it back to france as far to much trouble, france thought it to much trouble and sold it .
it hung on to California, but when Mexico decleared ibdependance they got it.

then the states set of stealibg land from the mexican and they got it

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

there are some events that cant be changed, someone will find gold in California, someone will invent the internal combustion engine and discover penicillin, all you can do is change the date and the person, to then and you,

some thing seem with hind sight to be inevatable, like the first world war, if you stopped arch duke Ferdinand assassination, then they would just find something else to fight about a short time later

D

Deleted member 39746

Nobody expects the Spanish Conqusidors! Then expects them to leave then come back again several years later!

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nobody expects the Spanish Conqusidors! Then expects them to leave then come back again several years later!
is that a monty python referance?

in the time, no bodyvwas in any particular hurry, it was a very very big world and there was at most 4 nations contestibg ownership of it, and by and large they didnt want land, they wanted resouces they could ship home.

as the european empire's were mostly comercial empires, with troops there only to protect comercial investments.

walking in to California with out knowibg there was a fair amount of gold there, they would see a semi aride bit of coast line with no signifact commercial value, and its on the wrong side, meaning fettibbg resouces home was a very long and exspensive operation,

so why set up a commercial hub? and why send troops to gaurd a biit of land the other three nations didnt want anyway

thats largly why the british gave up their bit of america with out to much of a fight,

they didnt in anyway want the land, they were resting western expantion by settlers as it had little comberical value to them and spread the troops to thin,

there was no profit in spendibg milkions in getting it back, particularly when the treaty of paris, restored all comerival operations back to their rightful owners, ie british companies, they just carried on as before only they didnt need to send troops

win win

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Ballad of Buster Scruggs? In particular, there is a segment called All Gold Canyon. I keep picturing Jobo as the young man who waits for the prospector to do all the work and then shoots him in the back.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Has anyone seen the Ballad of Buster Scruggs? In particular, there is a segment called All Gold Canyon. I keep picturing Jobo as the young man who waits for the prospector to do all the work and then shoots him in the back.

i wouldnt shoot him, unless it was absolutly necersary , i would if possible pay some one a pitance to do all the work and then make off with the profits, its the american way

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i wouldnt shoot him, unless it was absolutly necersary , i would if possible pay some one a pitance to do all the work and then make off with the profits, its the american way
You're British, right? Seems like that would make it the British way.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're British, right? Seems like that would make it the British way.
and anyway im english, from irish and Welsh desent,

so i got to wondering when the trmerm american first came in to the english language, 1500 and something, but was exclusivly use to refere to the natives, , however in 1648, the term was changed to refere to the inhabatant of the english colonies as americans,

it seemed the only qualification for beibg an american is you lived there, so yes in the conditions of 1720, i would be an american

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

so i got to wondering when the trmerm american first came in to the english language, 1500 and something, but was exclusivly use to refere to the natives, , however in 1648, the term was changed to refere to the inhabatant of the english colonies as americans,

it seemed the only qualification for beibg an american is you lived there, so yes in the conditions of 1720, i would be an american
By that logic, if you lived in mexico, you wouldn't be an american citizen unless you started up your own english colony.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
By that logic, if you lived in mexico, you wouldn't be an american citizen unless you started up your own english colony.
well most if the mexico colkinies were spanish, ive no idea what the spanish in mexico were call, probebly just spanish?

how ever your at least partly right, an english man who lived in mexico was probebly still an englishman

the same person who moved to virginia would be an american, you cant of course start your own british colonies, only the king can do that

nb, the Americans didnt have american citzen ship as there was no such concept, they were british subjects, but just as british subjects in wales have a specific name, so they did in the american colonies

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

But you're not an American now, and you're the guy talking about what you would or wouldn't do. While you could hypothetically become an American if you ever choose to immigrate here, now or in 1720, your behavior and inclinations represent the English way, not the American way, because you are English and not American.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
well most if the mexico colkinies were spanish, ive no idea what the spanish in mexico were call, probebly just spanish?

how ever your at least partly right, an english man who lived in mexico was probebly still an englishman

the same person who moved to virginia would be an american, you cant of course start your own british colonies, only the king can do that

nb, the Americans didnt have american citzen ship as there was no such concept, they were british subjects, but just as british subjects in wales have a specific name, so they did in the american colonies
This lends more weight to the idea that there wasn't an American way at the time, as all Americans were British subjects. Looping this back to the original point, though I think that you're a shoot em in the back guy, I'm not sure that's British or American. I think it's just you and those like you, independent of nationality. Just your nature.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
But you're not an American now, and you're the guy talking about what you would or wouldn't do. While you could hypothetically become an American if you ever choose to immigrate here, now or in 1720, your behavior and inclinations represent the English way, not the American way, because you are English and not American.
i could ubderstand you getting hot under the collar in the covid thread, its a very emotive subject, im not sure a history thread warrents the same sort of over the top bbehaviour.

if you want to compare atrocities committed when the british were in charge, compared to the american way when they left, that could be fun

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
i could ubderstand you getting hot under the collar in the covid thread, its a very emotive subject, im not sure a history thread warrents the same sort of over the top bbehaviour.

if you want to compare atrocities committed when the british were in charge, compared to the american way when they left, that could be fun
Are we getting hot? I was just having a little fun responding to you the way you respond to others. I think it's actually pretty promising that you see how dysfunctional it seems.

Just to lift the veil for you, the key is to pick a detail that is irrelevant, nit pick that detail, and then at any point, pick another detail and nit pick that, then later, randomly start gaslighting everyone with a version of the previous exchange on detail number 1 that is entirely divorced from reality, and use that to spin off on a different tangent about a third detail that is said with confidence but may or may not be true. It's a predictable formula. Just trying it on for fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions