2,700 year old Marijuana stash discovered!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28034925

Nearly two pounds of still-green plant material found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert has just been identified as the world's oldest marijuana stash, according to a paper in the latest issue of the Journal of Experimental Botany.

A barrage of tests proves the marijuana possessed potent psychoactive properties and casts doubt on the theory that the ancients only grew the plant for hemp in order to make clothing, rope and other objects.

They apparently were getting high too.

Interesting. I did not know that there was such a theory?

Lead author Ethan Russo told Discovery News that the marijuana "is quite similar" to what's grown today.

"We know from both the chemical analysis and genetics that it could produce THC (tetrahydrocannabinolic acid synthase, the main psychoactive chemical in the plant)," he explained, adding that no one could feel its effects today, due to decomposition over the millennia.

Yeah, I think I understand how they tested that...

:angel:

Anyway, discuss!

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
All that bud. No pipe or papers.

Reminds of that Twilight Zone episode where the guy gets his dream of being alone with his books, then breaks his glasses.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reminds of that Twilight Zone episode where the guy gets his dream of being alone with his books, then breaks his glasses.

Time Enough at Last w/Burgess Meredith. A Rod Serling original scirpt, adapted from a short story.

I think it (the cannabis) was probably ingested, but who knows? The article says that they think the guy in the tomb (white, blue-eyed 45 yr. old!) was a shaman, though, so ingesting seems likely......

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So THAT'S where I put it! Geez. Thought it would be the LAST place anyone would've looked.

Before the burial, someone had carefully picked out all of the male plant parts,

I think they meant someone had carefully SMOKED out all the male plant parts! :rolleyes: Having a buzz on while saying goodbye.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
knock knock
[in Chinese]
-Who is it?

-It's Dave man, open the door.

-Dave's not here man.

:D

Peace,
Erik

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
still green? daaaaayyyyyuuuum.

did they have chinese buffets back then? cuz this changes my image of ancient chinese aristocracy if they were blazin' then loading up on p.f. chang's. they somehow got cooler.

jf

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
You just know the guy who hid that and then couldn't find it when he wanted it went to his grave mourning the loss of that stash.

Moral to the story: potheads should never hide their stash whilst high.

Latest Discussions