If You Were Transported 300 Years Into The Past With No Clothes Or Anything Else, How Would You Prov

Status
Not open for further replies.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting thought experiment. Could I get a "jump" on the gold rush by being transported 130 prior to it? Not me personally because I would be long dead before the year 1849 arrives.

My next thought is there anyway I could make the gold rush happen earlier so I could benefit in my lifetime? I dont think the state of CA was even know to settlers back east until Lewis and Clarks expedition in 1806. So you arrive in 1720 still 86 years before that even happens.

I guess you could show up in say Boston in 1720 with some gold and tell everyone you found all this gold way out west. Making it far more likely earlier explorers would travel west. Then you being the first to set up shop when they arrive and sell them the shovels and equiptment to gold mine! Most likely would be hung as a witch back in Boston before this would work would be my guess! lol

Or maybe you could start a gold rush coming up from Mexico instead. Start the rumor in Mexico City and cause the gold rush to come from the south and not the east.
i dont think the idea is to start the gold rush, so much as get thete wholstcthere are still nuggets of gold the size of your hand just lying about in stream beds, get some and get the hell out of there

you could then of course tell people where you got it, if you find a away to monize that or just for a laugh tell them you found it in alaska

if civilisation( sort of) does come to californa,early, do your desendents a favour and buy malabu beach

then once you have seed money, even an elimentary knolledge of the science to come, will allow you to start inventing the future, its not at all hard to invent the steam engine or the phonograph or the telegraph ,hell you could start with the tin can and work yourway up,

Last edited:
OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i dont think the idea is to start the gold rush, so much as get thete wholstcthere are still nuggets of gold the size of your hand just lying about in stream beds, get some and get the hell out of there
if civilisation( sort of) does come to californa,early, do your desendents a favour and buy malabu beach

Good point I am way over thinking things. Just go grab the gold myself before anyone else can. No need to change history buy starting the gold rush earlier.

Then buy up some Califorina Beach real estate. Or maybe the future Las Vegas strip up in Nevada.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good point I am way over thinking things. Just go grab the gold myself before anyone else can. No need to change history buy starting the gold rush earlier.

Then buy up some Califorina Beach real estate. Or maybe the future Las Vegas strip up in Nevada.
you need to catefully consider, they can always move las vagas or silicone valley a few miles over and ut willmake no difference to them, where as Malibu and and Manhattan sort of have the where they are

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the issue of time travel is intresting, there nothing in a the laws of physics that prevent it, or say that time has to travel forwards, in fact relativity sort of insist that people in different locals exsperiance time differently, so its feasable to have your presnt in someone elses future if only by a few milliseconds or a few thousand years if you set off on a space flight at a high % of the speed if light.

the really perplexing issue, is, if it is possible , can you actually change anything in any meanibgful way?

at least one theory of physics, has the past the prrsent and future all existing simultaneously, you cant go back in time and change the future as the future has already happened, its as real as the present, as you cant go back and not change the future, its that parodox that prevents time travel,

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
california isnt in Louisiana , you could always get there from mexico, lots of people do
Now you're just being ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that's your intention. Sure thing... no train of course, not even wagon trails west past the Mississippi River (i.e. the Louisiana Purchase bought the States that) area... but there was this little issue of Spain controlling the westernmost areas of North America up into what would eventually be called British Columbia, ironically. Go through Mexico? You probably don't realize... but they weren't really much in the way of fans (sort of with lethal intent) of the Colonists just trekking across "their property. We didn't even get the western boundary of the Purchase settled with Spain until almost a hundred years After our "let's drop in during Year 1720" example of the OP, when in 1819 we got that done through the Adams–Onís Treaty with Spain. Another fun fact, and remember... no car, plane, train or even a broken trail headed into the Western Frontier... it's about 2,000+ miles from St. Louis to the area of Oregon now known as Portland... if you came tot he Colonies by boat, and made it to New Orleans, now the distance is about 2,500+ miles.

Sure... I want to sign up for that (not so much). Then, end up in the area of Oregon where the gold rush is going to take place... which would be hostil territory controlled by Spain, who have Always been gentle-hearted, welcoming people... Nah, I'll skip that.

Wait, I just thought of something... the worm-gear roller gin, used to separate cotton fibers fromt he seeds and husk... showed up in the 16th century... so that tech was "out there." Not a huge jump to do a slightly different design on that, and not too much machining necessary to make the jump to something like Eli Whitney's true Cotton Engine (called in brief the Cotton Gin), which he invented in... the 1790's? Now, THAT is something I could get behind and do I think.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your stuck in 1720 for the rest of your days alive. So you have to become as successful and happy as you can in those circumstances. But you retain all of your modern day memories and knowledge and that is your advantage.

Got it. I'll go with my industrial espionage of the Cotton Gin noted above, I think.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Now you're just being ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that's your intention. Sure thing... no train of course, not even wagon trails west past the Mississippi River (i.e. the Louisiana Purchase bought the States that) area... but there was this little issue of Spain controlling the westernmost areas of North America up into what would eventually be called British Columbia, ironically. Go through Mexico? You probably don't realize... but they weren't really much in the way of fans (sort of with lethal intent) of the Colonists just trekking across "their property. We didn't even get the western boundary of the Purchase settled with Spain until almost a hundred years After our "let's drop in during Year 1720" example of the OP, when in 1819 we got that done through the Adams–Onís Treaty with Spain. Another fun fact, and remember... no car, plane, train or even a broken trail headed into the Western Frontier... it's about 2,000+ miles from St. Louis to the area of Oregon now known as Portland... if you came tot he Colonies by boat, and made it to New Orleans, now the distance is about 2,500+ miles.

Sure... I want to sign up for that (not so much). Then, end up in the area of Oregon where the gold rush is going to take place... which would be hostil territory controlled by Spain, who have Always been gentle-hearted, welcoming people... Nah, I'll skip that.

Wait, I just thought of something... the worm-gear roller gin, used to separate cotton fibers fromt he seeds and husk... showed up in the 16th century... so that tech was "out there." Not a huge jump to do a slightly different design on that, and not too much machining necessary to make the jump to something like Eli Whitney's true Cotton Engine (called in brief the Cotton Gin), which he invented in... the 1790's? Now, THAT is something I could get behind and do I think.
well thats just a typical defeatest attitude, of course you could travel though area controled by other eurooean powers, we wernt at war with them and its highly unlikely they would even notoce you, with a few thousand of them controlling million of square miles, if i could travel to spain or france,( and i certainly could) i could also travel to spanish of french territories in the new world,, the europeans had a few thousand years of civilisation behind them, it was only when they left that the place desended into barbarism
( ok the spanish left a little to be desired)

and i dont want to be over picky, what with it being your countries history, but the California gold rush was in California not Oregon, and califoria was controled by no one, with the exception of the native Americans, who clearly werent very intrested in gold and were noted as being amenable, by the few europeans that got that way out, still shouldnt be that hard to dodge them

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

nb, just to point out that under the terms of referance goven by the time travel scenario, there is no rule that you have to start this journey on the east coast, you could just as easily appeared in the close proxims to California, hell you could put a requestin to be dropped off at cutters mill

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
you need to catefully consider, they can always move las vagas or silicone valley a few miles over and ut willmake no difference to them, where as Malibu and and Manhattan sort of have the where they are

Very good point. I need to buy property next to a natural earth structure that cant be changed by man. Next to the coast or some other natural place that cant be changed by man. The coast of San Diego or on the banks of Lake Tahoe sound awfully nice!

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
nb, just to point out that under the terms of referance goven by the time travel scenario, there is no rule that you have to start this journey on the east coast, you could just as easily appeared in the close proxims to California, hell you could put a requestin to be dropped off at cutters mill

You are correct you could be dropped off anywhere in this scenario. Could be right smack down in the middle of 1720 Kansas, or 1720 New York or Seattle.

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
but there was this little issue of Spain controlling the westernmost areas of North America up into what would eventually be called British Columbia, ironically.

Good point. If I did purchase a bunch of land in 1720 with my gold I found in California how would I retain my property rights through the time until CA becomes a state? I make the purchase in 1720 from Mexico I am pretty sure the USA will not honor that when they expand west

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Good point. If I did purchase a bunch of land in 1720 with my gold I found in California how would I retain my property rights through the time until CA becomes a state? I make the purchase in 1720 from Mexico I am pretty sure the USA will not honor that when they expand west
but in 1720 you wouldnt have to buy it, nobody owned it or had laid claim to it, stick a fence round it and its yours

the issue is maintaining that ownership for the next couple of hundred years.

you have quite enourmass power to change your future and our past,

claim the land ( the whole state)on behalf of king george, in return for a bit of shore land no one else wants, then head off the revolution, by either kilking off the leaders or using your knolledge to warn the britisj as to whats going to happen when, or just go the easy route and kill napoleon

or anounce your discovery of gold and start the Weston expansion early, where settlers go, govenment quickly follows, that puts california in the hands of the british and and mexico will never get their hands on it, land right will be quivkly established

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score

or anounce your discovery of gold and start the Weston expansion early, where settlers go, govenment quickly follows, that puts california in the hands of the british and and mexico will never get their hands on it, land right will be quivkly established

Yea maintaining that ownership for the next couple of hundred years in your family would be the tough part. Lots can go wrong in that amount if time. Maybe your kid or grandkid is a loser drug addict or alcoholic and loses the land. Not to mention all the world events that could force you to lose the land. Wars, etc

Interesting how history would have changed if Britian had rights to CA instead of Mexico?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yea maintaining that ownership for the next couple of hundred years in your family would be the tough part. Lots can go wrong in that amount if time. Maybe your kid or grandkid is a loser drug addict or alcoholic and loses the land. Not to mention all the world events that could force you to lose the land. Wars, etc

Interesting how history would have changed if Britian had rights to CA instead of Mexico?
the whole histoory if the world hinges on( a few) events that could easily have gone the other way, but for good luck, bad weather or what have you

brtiain had just fought a 7 year war with france over control of the world, and was in no postion to fund a war agaibst the settlers, in the revolution, 2000 miles away, so gave it up rather as they had the rest of the world to go at, a decade later and they would have had troop ship swarming accross the atlantic.

the key bit of the revtion that seems to be missing from american history, is the british had signed a treaty with the native americans not to go further west , which enraged the population as much as the taxes, to pay of the war debts incurred in getting the eastern seaboard off the french.
as the british unlike the american honour their agreements,, much of america would still be in native hands, it was less about liberty and more about greedy opportunism

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i really wouldnt try, they were still burning witches then, time travel would defonely get you burnt

have you been watchibg outlander, as that largely the plot, you describe.

if i was stuck there id use my knoledge of whats to come to get very rich, there a load of gold in California to go and find for a start, then i might invent the internal combustion engine and planes
And maybe give medicine a push forward before I get sick.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont, you get locked up for breaking what ever local laws they have on homless people being disorderly or nudity. Or get shoved in a aslyum. I dont know anyone who would know 300 years of day to day history EVERYWHERE. Hell you cant even get detaield hisotry in some places for the 300 year peroid. Its either not been sudied or left a lot of written records behind.

Or you get killed out right and your head taken, pending where you end up. Or you get killed by a lion or alegator etc.

Second to that, you couldnt talk to anyone anyway, modern english is nothing like 1700's english, not account diffrent dialects and other langauges.

Addendum: GET DOWN MR PRESIDENT! (good meme material)
If you showed up in an English-speaking area, you'd likely be able to get by. You'd sound like a foreigner with bad English until you learned their version, which would be acceptable in some places.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just avoid Donner Pass in a snowstorm. Dont want to turn into a cannibal and have to resort to eating your travel buddies!
It's bits of knowledge like that that'd give you a bit of a chance. You'd lack some of the survival skills folks routinely had then, but you'd already know some dangers they didn't.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
but in 1720 you wouldnt have to buy it, nobody owned it or had laid claim to it, stick a fence round it and its yours

claim the land ( the whole state)on behalf of king george, in return for a bit of shore land no one else wants, then head off the revolution, by either kilking off the leaders or using your knolledge to warn the britisj as to whats going to happen when, or just go the easy route and kill napoleon

I think the Spaniards who owned that land would disagree.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score

What? You guys know that Mexico didn't govern California until sometime in the 19th Century. I'm digging way back here, but I'm pretty sure Mexico wasn't an independent country until like 1820. I think you guys mean Spain.

And, if memory serves, Mexico only governed for a decade or so, before California became part of the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions