If you picked 4 exercises what would they be?

amateur

Orange Belt
Reaction score
According to this guy, you need merely 4 exercises to grow stronger.

Let's make a challenge. Can you make a strength training workout for martial artists consisting of 4 exercises? Mine would be...
-Knuckles push ups
-Ledge pull ups
-Horse stance
-Leg raises

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Body weight only, or could we throw in one piece of equipment like a kettlebell or dumbbell? I’ll asterisk the one using a single kettlebell...

Push-ups
Pull-ups/chin-ups
Planks
Turkish get-ups*

If no kettlebell is allowed...
Burpees/squat thrust

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just watched the video. He’s right. His delivery leaves a bit to be desired IMO, but he’s right.

I’d argue overhead squats, but you can load up more weight with front squats.

Perhaps better, the Olympic lifts - snatch, and the clean and jerk.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Let's make a challenge. Can you make a strength training workout for martial artists consisting of 4 exercises? Mine would be...
-Knuckles push ups
-Ledge pull ups
-Horse stance
-Leg raises
well yes, it's a point I've alluded to before, when people say they have t enough time to get fit, even more you can do one of those four for 5/ 10 mins a day and do the four over the course of a week , so somewhere between 20 and 40 mins a week. this is the principal of the 531 strength training program which " guarantee s you month on month strength gains.

the problem with your selection is you need to be training at 80/90 percent of one rep max, which is difficult but not impossible with body weight exercises, but no way with knuckle push ups and horse stance unless your going to out a bar across your shoulder and call it half a sqaut

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well yes, it's a point I've alluded to before, when people say they have t enough time to get fit, even more you can do one of those four for 5/ 10 mins a day and do the four over the course of a week , so somewhere between 20 and 40 mins a week. this is the principal of the 531 strength training program which " guarantee s you month on month strength gains.

the problem with your selection is you need to be training at 80/90 percent of one rep max, which is difficult but not impossible with body weight exercises, but no way with knuckle push ups and horse stance unless your going to out a bar across your shoulder and call it half a sqaut
Of course it only takes a few minutes, but you can’t do those effectively without equipment. Unless you’ve got the cash to buy weights and a rack, you’ve got to join a gym. With a gym you have to factor in commuting time. When all’s said and done, the 15 minutes can take an hour.

That’s not being pessimistic or saying it’s impossible to get a workout in, it’s just being realistic.

I bought a Total Gym because I didn’t have the time or desire for that stuff. My 20 minute workout takes me 20 minutes. I don’t have to go anywhere or do anything other than work out.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course it only takes a few minutes, but you can’t do those effectively without equipment. Unless you’ve got the cash to buy weights and a rack, you’ve got to join a gym. With a gym you have to factor in commuting time. When all’s said and done, the 15 minutes can take an hour.

That’s not being pessimistic or saying it’s impossible to get a workout in, it’s just being realistic.

I bought a Total Gym because I didn’t have the time or desire for that stuff. My 20 minute workout takes me 20 minutes. I don’t have to go anywhere or do anything other than work out.
well as I said with a bit of imagination you can do them with body weight and a weighted vest if/ when it gets to easy. buy the time you can do one handed hand stand push ups your already a good way along the journey and weights are not expensive, you can pick them up for a few $ from failed body builders, or buy those plastic ones you fill with sand or infqct just use a bag of wet sand taped to a broom handle, if your a real cheap skate. I biceps curl my bags of shopping on the walkhalk, coz I am a cheap skate

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well as I said with a bit of imagination you can do them with body weight and a weighted vest if/ when it gets to easy. buy the time you can do one handed hand stand push ups your already a good way along the journey and weights are not expensive, you can pick them up for a few $ from failed body builders, or buy those plastic ones you fill with sand or infqct just use a bag of wet sand taped to a broom handle, if your a real cheap skate. I biceps curl my bags of shopping on the walkhalk, coz I am a cheap skate
I was talking about the exercises in the video. You’re going to need equipment to do front squats and deadlifts properly, especially front squats.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was talking about the exercises in the video. You’re going to need equipment to do front squats and deadlifts properly, especially front squats.
it depend what you mean by properly. properly so that it has a positive strength benifit ?one leged squates are a challenge for most people, one legged squats holding a 20/ 50/ 100 lb plate or bag of sand even more so.

I'm not arguing that having a gym doesn't make it less of a faff, just that it's by no mean a nessersary requirement unless or u til your already ridiculously strong/ can't find some thing heavy lying a iut you can lift

Gweilo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Press up on knuckles
Sit up
Squat
Leg raise but feet end up touching the top of your head.

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

-Knuckles push ups
-Ledge pull ups
-Horse stance
-Leg raises

For calisthenics:
Push Ups on Fingers (Grip)
Wide Grip Pull Ups
Squats with Crescent Kicks
Headstands to Handstand transition then dips

For Martial Arts:
Horse stance while holding end of a bo staff with one hand (great for wrist strength)
Walking lunges with front or round kicks
Stagger or Clapping Push Ups - If you're strong enough, Muay Thai push ups
(Im gonna push it and give 5 exercises)
Wide Grip pulls ups, if strong enough with legs out in front)
Headstand to handstand transition with dips

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score

-Knuckles push ups
-Ledge pull ups
-Horse stance
-Leg raises

For calisthenics:
Wide Grip Pull Ups

For Martial Arts:
Horse stance while holding end of a bo staff with one hand (great for wrist strength)

I recommend interchanging both workouts for ultimate results. One in the morning one in the evening. You need to be extremely consistent to get gains when it comes to bodyweight workouts. Or one workout one day, the Other the next etc

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For calisthenics:
Wide Grip Pull Ups

For Martial Arts:

I recommend interchanging both workouts for ultimate results. One in the morning one in the evening. You need to be extremely consistent to get gains when it comes to bodyweight workouts. Or one workout one day, the Other the next etc
finger push up wont really help grip strength, it's an isometric exercise that will on strengthen the fingers at more or less the angle youat holding doing the push up .

grip strength really requires you to actually grip something, either using the full range of motion or at the exact angle to need for what ever your envisaging needing to grip, ie griping a pull up bar will make your grip strong at that angle, but not much as other angles, like someones wrist,which is really a long way of saying , buy some grip strengtheners if you want a handshake that can crack walnuts

Last edited:

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
finger push up wont really help grip strength, it's an isometric exercise that will on strengthen the fingers at more or less the angle youat holding doing the push up .

grip strength really requires you to actually grip something, either using the full range of motion or at the exact angle to need for what ever your envisaging needing to grip, ie griping a pull up bar will make your grip strong at that angle, but not much as other angles, like someones wrist,which is really a long way of saying , buy some grip strengtheners if you want a handshake that can crack walnuts
Perhaps you are correct and I wouldn't be surprised if you were; I cannot claim to know everything. But from my experience, it has helped me a lot with my Traditional Jujitsu and my grip there, and I don't do any other exercises for grip unless you count pull ups. I also went to physio after a full recovery of some injuries and I was told my grip is excellent (don't meant to brag, sorry) for my age.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Perhaps you are correct and I wouldn't be surprised if you were; I cannot claim to know everything. But from my experience, it has helped me a lot with my Traditional Jujitsu and my grip there, and I don't do any other exercises for grip unless you count pull ups. I also went to physio after a full recovery of some injuries and I was told my grip is excellent (don't meant to brag, sorry) for my age.
well your young and active it should be good, and griping in jujitsu is its self excellent grip training. and it more likely that rather 5han finger push ups which have improved your grip.if its excellent is a subjective judgement, was he comparing you with other jujitsu practitioners who also use grip strengheners. because theres a good chance you grip strength is less than theirs

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
well your young and active it should be good, and griping in jujitsu is its self excellent grip training. and it more likely that rather 5han finger push ups which have improved your grip.if its excellent is a subjective judgement, was he comparing you with other jujitsu practitioners who also use grip strengheners. because theres a good chance you grip strength is less than theirs
For starters keep in mind I mean traditional, Japanese jujitsu. I was being compared to a chart of scores from other teenagers my age at the time (I was 15, I've just turned 17 a week ago) ranked from poor to good etc

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For starters keep in mind I mean traditional, Japanese jujitsu. I was being compared to a chart of scores from other teenagers my age at the time (I was 15, I've just turned 17 a week ago) ranked from poor to good etc
ok, so do an experiment, buy a cheap adjustable grip strengthened, use it for a week, at your max, then youl have to turn it up as it wont be your max any more, then do a week of finger press ups and see if your grip strength has improved. measuring yourself against a mean average gives flattering results as there an awful lot of unfit inactive people in there, always measure yourself against other fit people

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just watched the video. He’s right. His delivery leaves a bit to be desired IMO, but he’s right.

I’d argue overhead squats, but you can load up more weight with front squats.

Perhaps better, the Olympic lifts - snatch, and the clean and jerk.
I'd go back to kettlebells.
  • Clean, or clean clean and press
  • Squats (overhead or goblet, for the same reasons you state, probably favoring goblet)
  • Turkish get-up (no way I'd leave that out)
  • KB push-ups (I like the instability, and you can add rows in the up position).
If I was adding one more, it'd probably be the 2-hand anyhow. It covers a lot of the body and a wide ROM, and takes some real concentration to learn to do. I might convince myself it's an alternate to clean and press, though you'd likely never be able to do the same weight (and certainly not as much as a straight clean).

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Does the angle of the pull-up really limit grip strength development? You're correct that it mostly only affects the angle used in the exercise, but what other angles would matter for grip? As I think through it, what other angles are you likely to use when gripping for maximum grip?

Your point about being able to squeeze (rather than hold) is accurate enough. There's some cross-over, but squeezing something that moves is a much better way to develop squeezing ability than simply holding something (including your own weight during a pull-up).

Latest Discussions