If you had to do

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you had 15-30 minutes to put together a routine that would explain your Art and the benefit of said Art, How would it go in detail please.
Terry

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
At my level? The intro would be pretty simple.

"Ok. Hit me."

I expect that after 20 years of training, I'd go back to such a simple introduction, and it'd be a lot more beneficial. Right now, all I have to show is my own movement.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Many times we are ask to Demo's. So we have a routine to explain/show what we teach and do.

Many of the kids and adults come out like in class and we do the basic punches..kicks..blocks. Than a few of them would do individual forms/katas' or in small groups. Sometimes several students would do free forms and free weopon forms.

Then we go into our basic self-defense against graps, punches,kicks. The higher ranks go into the more advance self-defense with take downs and lock/or continune attacks. (two people or groups of twos). This is the meat of our style.

Usually ends with speech of who, what, where and when.

It does vary according to the people whom we are talking too. Kids. mix and sometimes we do not do the full self-defense (the full attack).

You will have to fit your routine to the crowd and type of people who are coming to see what you do.

For kids we do it very differently...... Aloha

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
If you had 15-30 minutes to put together a routine that would explain your Art and the benefit of said Art, How would it go in detail please.
Terry

For what audience?

Those from other systems?
Those with no self-defense training?
Children? Adults?

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I would give the person an account of my personal experience with my system. How it has helped me become the person that I am, not just in terms of being effective when I ve had to use it, but how its helped me grow, and all the benefits I have acquired, not just self defense, but self control, self discipline, ect.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
For what audience?

Those from other systems?
Those with no self-defense training?
Children? Adults?

Let say people who want a better ideal of what you do and you only had the amount of time given.
terry

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
can't put it all down here but I know last year Grimfang got put in that situation up in Buffalo at a dinner I heard he did a great job considering he was totaly unprepared to do it

I think showing is always easier than saying when explaining some things

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll have a crack at it

At its very basic my style is grounded in constant flow and different rhythms so I guess I would perform entry rupahs (katas) to begin with and this would show about 8 different ways to avoid and counter strike but in a tai chi mode. I would then explain the movements as they were performed but on an opponent, still reasonably slow.
Next I would demonstrate and explain the basic 5 angles of a bladed weapon showing how to move around the weapon, and finish with a 12 strike abacardus with a Kali stick, to show off basically.
Slow sparring and Q and A if there is time.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
rutherford said:
At my level? The intro would be pretty simple.

"Ok. Hit me."

I expect that after 20 years of training, I'd go back to such a simple introduction, and it'd be a lot more beneficial. Right now, all I have to show is my own movement.
HAHAHA I like that! Sounds like a Bujinkan practitioner! :rofl: I would do the same and then take it from there.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I have 30 minutes, I'll just conduct the demonstration as if it were a regular class, although the amount dedicated to each part of the training would be reduced. Things would be kept as simple as they need to be, since people can relate to things that they they perceive they can understand. I'll usually save the free-sparring kumite for the end, using students who can put on a clean show (not looking for flashy; instead, looking for good, clean techniques).

Using this method also reduces the worries of something going wrong, since everyone participating in the demo isn't uptight about it. After all, it's not really different than what they're normally used to doing.

If I have about 30 minutes to work with them on getting the demo ready, it's usually good to go.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I'd pick a moderate level (green belt) kata and break it down. Perform it by itself several times with different pacing, incorporate attackers to reveal the defense and counter possibilites, isolate a few individual techniques to expose the possible applications and variations, and incorporate those into self defense and sparring situations. I think this approach sheds light on what the art is about rather than the particular dojo environment.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
Terry
Junp rope, stretch, bag work, sparring.

Latest Discussions