If you could create a form.....

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
that you would teach to others: what elements would you find important to put in it?

Let's say that you were designing a new form for new 1st Dan BB's.

What do you feel is important to put in a form for these folks with a degree of knowledge & ability? Unique stances? How would you add a degree of difficulty? Big kicks? No kicks? Easily identifiable Boon Hae (applications) or complicated ones?

With what do you think is important to challenge these new BB's?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know that I would create a form for new BB's... rather, I would give them guidelines and let them create their own form - the primary difference between color belts and BB's, IMHO, is that to BB's are, to a noticeable degree, self-instructing, certainly much more than color blets; BB's should be able to determine their own weaknesses and find ways to work on them.

To that end, therefore, I would have each BB create their own patterns - with, perhaps, a few nudges toward things the instructor feels they need to work on, but that would, most likely, be different for different students.

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would not so much create a form for the new one dans but rather work with them so that could each create a form that was unique unto them alone. This would keep the form process exciting and "new" in a way that would also compel under ranking students working towards their one dan.

Fluffy

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine would start with a block - like every form/kata should (it's defensive). And I would add double and triple kick combo's. The form would be about 90 moves long (give or take 10 moves) and take about 3 minutes to preform so it would have some tension movements.

Latest Discussions