If Santa were to bring me a GPS unit, which one?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a GPS datalogger that I use for photography, but it's just a black box, it has no screen on it. I have experience using the GPS units that come in rental cars, and I really like them. Now that prices are dropping, I thought I might like one for Christmas.

So I'm looking for a good GPS on the inexpensive side (like around $100 USD or so).

Any suggestions?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a GPS datalogger that I use for photography, but it's just a black box, it has no screen on it. I have experience using the GPS units that come in rental cars, and I really like them. Now that prices are dropping, I thought I might like one for Christmas.

So I'm looking for a good GPS on the inexpensive side (like around $100 USD or so).

Any suggestions?
Are you looking for a GPS navigation tool for driving, or a wider use GPS to track where you've been, etc?

Garmin, Magellan, and Tom Tom are probably the big names in navigation. Tom Tom has some hidden fees, as I understand it; you really need to look out for those. To me, the big difference between Magellan and Garmin is the interface. Go to a store, and see if they'll let you put a few destinations in and see which one you prefer. Broadly, Garmin generally will let you start with the street, and it'll find any street close to you. I'm not sure off the top of my head exactly how particular it is -- like if it'll find "Chain Bridge Rd" and "Chainbridge Rd" both... Magellan starts with the city... and that can be a headache if it's a vague area that goes by several names. It also will be thrown by a spelling difference like above.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm looking for a GPS that I can use when I go out to do my photography - I like to follow my nose into the country and then when I'm done, have the GPS figure out where the heck I am and how to get home. Strictly automotive/driving.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a GPS that I can use when I go out to do my photography - I like to follow my nose into the country and then when I'm done, have the GPS figure out where the heck I am and how to get home. Strictly automotive/driving.
Any of 'em will do that for you. There are some forums devoted to the blasted things; check them for which gives the best satellite reception at your price point. They're no good if they can't find enough satellites to figure out where you are... Also look at the cost of map updates, and how frequently they do them. There's nothing like being in the middle of nowhere, in a newly built community where they've changed roads, and having the GPS drive you in circles because the roads ain't where they used to be...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the Garmin and TomTom units are good for most people.

Personally, I use a Delorme plugged into my laptop. All the usual abilities, plus a BIG screen. And it's got all the USGS Forest Service maps loaded, which helps when we leave the paved roads behind.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In your price range, a Garmin Nuvi would be a great choice.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
My experience has been that the garmin is a lot more reliable than the tom Tom. My wife uses an inexpennsive nuvi and drives extensively for work. She travels all over the country and Canada, often renting a car while there.

I'm only speaking from our personal experience but the Tom Tom wouldn't even fin our house.

I don't have any experience with a Magellan.