I went to my first Wing Chun class last night.

HammockRider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It was pretty cool. I really liked it. The teacher seems to really know his stuff. He's a former police officer who taught Defensive Tactics to other police officers, so he stresses practical applications and self defense alot. But he also really enjoys Wing Chun as an art. He's practiced a few other MA and loves Wing chun's simplicity and directness.

I got a good vibe from the class too. Everyone seemed to enjoy practicing and people helped each other when needed.

I learned the first part of SLT, the centerline theory and center line punching and spent some time on shifting. I was thinking of keeping notes on each class, at least until I get some terms under my belt.

Overall it was a good experience.

bully

Purple Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great stuff, sounds a good experience for your first class.

Notes are a great idea, and even stick men drawings if you are no Picasso like myself. Sometimes the pics are easier to understand or can re enforce your notes.

Colibri

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It was pretty cool. I really liked it. The teacher seems to really know his stuff. He's a former police officer who taught Defensive Tactics to other police officers, so he stresses practical applications and self defense alot. But he also really enjoys Wing Chun as an art. He's practiced a few other MA and loves Wing chun's simplicity and directness.

I got a good vibe from the class too. Everyone seemed to enjoy practicing and people helped each other when needed.

I learned the first part of SLT, the centerline theory and center line punching and spent some time on shifting. I was thinking of keeping notes on each class, at least until I get some terms under my belt.

Welcome to the world of Wing Chun :D

Your sifu sounds very good. It's very important to stress things such as reality based applications, awareness, etc.

Psychological training is important, looks like you'll get some!

Keep up the SLT. You may get bored but keep doing it. It's your diary of moves and practises everything you need to know. Think of Wing Chun as a cabinet from IKEA. Siu Lim Tao is the flatpack containing the pieces you need to put together!

Enjoy yourself man, it gets better. And enjoy the journey too, there is no destination! :)

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

CONGRATULATIONS!!

joy chaudhuri

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score

That is Fantastic.
Martial Art Training is a great lifestyle and Wing Chun is an excellent training system when utilized properly. Sounds like you have found a very good group to learn and train with.

altbus1

White Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of Wing Chun :D

Your sifu sounds very good. It's very important to stress things such as reality based applications, awareness, etc.

Psychological training is important, looks like you'll get some!

Keep up the SLT. You may get bored but keep doing it. It's your diary of moves and practises everything you need to know. Think of Wing Chun as a cabinet from IKEA. Siu Lim Tao is the flatpack containing the pieces you need to put together!

Enjoy yourself man, it gets better. And enjoy the journey too, there is no destination! :)
That's really nice said!

OP
HammockRider

HammockRider

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys thanks for your responses. I had my second class today and I had just as great a time. I learned more of SLT and spent time practicing the center line punch. Not only do I feel like I'm actually learning something but the stance isn't all that hard to get used to. I feel like I've made a good choice. Now, when do I get to the knives? ( I kid, I kid).

Domino

Black Belt
Reaction score
Congratulations, sounds like you will get a good wide range of information !

Latest Discussions