I Thought the Change of Tunisian Government Was Supposed to be a Good Thing?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Shows you what I get to hear in terms of news...
(then again, had a chick on radio proclaim there was no gravity on mars here not to long ago...I doubt they could find Tunesia on the map with it written in big bold letters and a big arrow pointing toward it)

Sad thing is, that these countries rely on tourist money. With the continued unrest and unclear lines between the 'normal' moderate people and the extreme nut cases, people just 'don't go there' no matter how beautiful the beaches are.

So unrest perpetuates the problems that initiated the unrest.

Senjojutsu

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow... has BBC gone right wing?

Even implying in a story that there may be a convict population within a wave of refugees or "undocumented workers" - well that is just xenophobic hate speech according to mainstream American journalistic/broadcasting standards.:lfao:

Is there also an implication that Europe still has a right to that outdated 20th century anachronism of sovereign borders?

Get with the Globalist elite.

Besides nothing bad ever happens after any people’s revolution. Paredón!!!

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Devastating? Really? 5000 people a week, an "upsurge", is 250,000 people per year, compared with 20-30 million immigrants in the EU total. That's assuming this upsurge is even stable, with only 10.4 million people in all of Tunisia. I think the social fabric of the EU will withstand the deluge.

Also, even if the revolution ends for the better, it's still a revolution - they are messy things, and people are going to get hurt or dispossessed. No surprise that emigration is up.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Devastating? Really? 5000 people a week, an "upsurge", is 250,000 people per year, compared with 20-30 million immigrants in the EU total. That's assuming this upsurge is even stable, with only 10.4 million people in all of Tunisia. I think the social fabric of the EU will withstand the deluge.

Also, even if the revolution ends for the better, it's still a revolution - they are messy things, and people are going to get hurt or dispossessed. No surprise that emigration is up.

Well, maybe all of Europe, if you can spread them out from Sicily to North Cape. But for a tiny island in the middle of nowhere, that's a bit to chew on.

However, since you seldom get to move people single file, the influx of a larger group of men (I didn't see a woman in the pictures) does upset the fabric of a community.

Not catastrophic - in most cases, but noticable.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, maybe all of Europe, if you can spread them out from Sicily to North Cape. But for a tiny island in the middle of nowhere, that's a bit to chew on.

The official in the news link claimed they were moving out of Italy and were a danger to the EU as a whole. Just sounds like hysteria, really. I'm sure things will settle down in a bit as the situation in Tunisia stabilizes.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The official in the news link claimed they were moving out of Italy and were a danger to the EU as a whole. Just sounds like hysteria, really. I'm sure things will settle down in a bit as the situation in Tunisia stabilizes.

Well, giving the current state of affairs...
Nobody wants yet another hungry mouth to feed.
No telling who all climbed onto a raft to be admitted to the promised land of EU where milk and honey flows and the liberties are boundless...

Naturally, there is a sense of urgency put into the article. Otherwise nobody would read it. Sign of the times I am afraid.

However I do recall a similar situation when a lot of Albanians jumped the straight of Bari.

It is not easy to absorb an amount of people like that when it gets down to the niddy gritty. Simple math does not cover it.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I share the concern of the earlier posters as in Australia we have an ongoing problem with boat people (refugees?) paying high prices to people smugglers in Indonesia to bring them to Australia illegally. We received 5500 last year alone which in the scheme of things is not many if they were prepared to become part of the Australian community. As we have discussed in another thread, this is not happening and as a result there is huge resentment towards genuine refugees.

If you reckon it's a fair thing and no problem, lets see if we can arrange for them to be resettled in the US. You already have a processing centre in Guantanamo Bay so it won't cost a lot extra to house them while you work through their background checks.
icon10.gif

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was a similar sentiment to the one I was going to add here, K-Man viz that those taking the moral high ground (and it is the moral high ground I won't deny) can make arrangements for these people to come and live in their house.

I don't mean that to sound nasty or spiteful - just a call for people to think for a minute what we are actually talking about when it comes to immigration. It is people that you don't know coming to live in your home permanently.

The sort that gets the negative reaction is the illegal/un-invited kind by people we don't necesarily want because they don't want to live with us. They either want to leach off us and our relatives (to continue the individual house analogy) or they wish to evict us and take our place.

The majority from most places of course are not that way inclined and make excellent and helpful house guests.

I know that not all who object to uncontrolled immigration feel that way and that there are some genuine 'rivers of blood' racists who don't see that paced immigration enriches a society over time and don't want anyone coming to stay.

To steer back to the OP, I think what the Italians are getting so excited about is this feeling that all of Tunisia wants to move out. To get their point across they are exaggerating greatly (I hope) to try and get the neighbouring European countries on-side (and probably us here in Blighty as we seem to end up with the refugees and immigrants that everyone else waves on through}.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you reckon it's a fair thing and no problem, lets see if we can arrange for them to be resettled in the US.

That was a similar sentiment to the one I was going to add here, K-Man viz that those taking the moral high ground (and it is the moral high ground I won't deny) can make arrangements for these people to come and live in their house.

Did you think this was somehow going to devastate my point? We receive about 1 million immigrants per year here. Just with our usual rate, we could absorb the entire nation of Tunisia in a decade. I don't find the prospect of 5000 Tunisians a week as terrifying as some apparently do. No one, and certainly not the hysterical official quoted in the article, has shown that the Tunisians would be any more of a problem than any other immigrant. At best, the fear is unfounded. At worst, someone is whipping up fear for a purpose.

Nor is the analogy of "our house" very accurate, since it implies a level of ownership and control by you personally that just doesn't exist. They aren't living in your kitchen.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Did you think this was somehow going to devastate my point?

I wasn't aware I was having an argument with you, not in a negative sense at any rate and the devastation of your point was hardly my aim.

I wonder if perhaps your contests with your political opposite numbers have had the effect of making every discourse seem like a battle? You're a biologist and I'm an engineer, we both know better than to behave that way.

No one, and certainly not the hysterical official quoted in the article, has shown that the Tunisians would be any more of a problem than any other immigrant. At best, the fear is unfounded. At worst, someone is whipping up fear for a purpose.

I quite agree ... especially given the hot water the Italian PM is in at present.

Nor is the analogy of "our house" very accurate

Each to his own - I rather like it as it serves rather well to describe the situation at a personal level rather than the more eseoteric International Relations level. My house/My country are exchangeable phrases to me since the rise of the concept of nations and nationality.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, fire has a habit of spreading, sad to say. Where unrest conflagrates, the fire-weed that is the current brand of extremist is sure to take root first. I think that interesting times, in the Chinese sense of the words, are looming over the horizon with haste.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Aye, fire has a habit of spreading, sad to say. Where unrest conflagrates, the fire-weed that is the current brand of extremist is sure to take root first. I think that interesting times, in the Chinese sense of the words, are looming over the horizon with haste.

You read Pratchett I see:

May you live in interesting times....

Latest Discussions