I no longer care about Jeet Kune Do

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
in what way was he ahead of his time,?

he was a one man PR machine, but that largely it
I think he was very open minded & there for looked at other systems to utilize what worked for him. Sure now people do this but i think in his time systems were much more rigid.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The problem with JKD is a lot of instructors tend to teach their own ideas. The JKD system or as it was called before it Jun Fan Gung Fu was slightly different. There is wing chun in there but it´s not as much as people think. It turned sadly into a mish mash of different peoples interpretations over the years.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think he was very open minded & there for looked at other systems to utilize what worked for him. Sure now people do this but i think in his time systems were much more rigid.
i think people have been doing that since the begining, thats clearly how all system developed

even i did it about the same time as bruce, where i joined judo and boxing together, it not hard to do

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
i think people have been doing that since the begining, thats clearly how all system developed

even i did it about the same time as bruce, where i joined judo and boxing together, it not hard to do
yes very true(Ed Parker was a good example) but i think he even looked at Fencing to use in his system so i think he was a special guy. very deep. End of the Day apples & oranges mate. If he was not so talented why would people like steve McQueen train with him or other hollywood greats at that time?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
yes very true(Ed Parker was a good example) but i think he even looked at Fencing to use in his system so i think he was a special guy. very deep. End of the Day apples & oranges mate. If he was not so talented why would people like steve McQueen train with him or other hollywood greats at that time?
famous people like other famous people, they even tend to marry them,

im not saying he wasnt talented, he was very strong, very fit and very fast, if he was a particularly talented fighter beyond those attributes, is rather unknow, but lets say he was, he is just one of many thousands of very tallented fighters,

im not sure george foreman has people d3dicating their life to his every word, now his grills is a different matter

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
famous people like other famous people, they even tend to marry them,

im not saying he wasnt talented, he was very strong, very fit and very fast, if he was a particularly talented fighter beyond those attributes, is rather unknow, but lets say he was, he is just one of many thousands of very tallented fighters,

im not sure george foreman has people d3dicating their life to his every word, now his grills is a different matter
well all i can say is ..
giphy.gif

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

An obvious one if you ever read an old comic book. And apart from dynamic tension Charles Atlas also sold self defence.

20210102_054843.jpg

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Does that make Steven Segal talented?

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
An obvious one if you ever read an old comic book. And apart from dynamic tension Charles Atlas also sold self defence.

View attachment 23479
the bullworker was and is marvelous, just very exspensive, you can make your own dynamic tension device for nothing, but no wall chart

every lad my age, had an electic guitar, a copy of tubular bells and a bull worker in his bed room

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does that make Steven Segal talented?

Depends on the individuell. like i wrote apples & oranges. what tastes better?
Segal was a very good aikidoka in Japan so no arguement there. If he was qualified to train these ufc guys is a matter of opinion. nothing to do with Bruce Lee or his training.

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
the bullworker was and is marvelous, just very exspensive, you can make your own dynamic tension device for nothing, but no wall chart

every lad my age, had an electic guitar, a copy of tubular bells and a bull worker in his bed room
Charles Atlas courses never used a bullworker. It was Dynamic(isomentric) tension. The Bullworker was more Isotonic(movement) & isometric(static) as i remember.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Charles Atlas courses never used a bullworker. It was Dynamic(isomentric) tension. The Bullworker was more Isotonic(movement) & isometric(static) as i remember.
how do you know he never use it ? ive seen pictures of him using it!

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
how do you know he never use it ?
he never sold it with his courses. If he used an early version of it i do not know. Even Joe weider sold devices as did Reg park from Leeds. expanders and other things. goes back to the old strong men I suggest you look at this guys channel too.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
he never sold it with his courses. If he used an early version of it i do not know. Even Joe weider sold devices as did Reg park from Leeds. expanders and other things. goes back to the old strong men I suggest you look at this guys channel too.
ive seen pictures if him using one,, he may have only used it just for the picture , but he still use it

stanly stud

Blue Belt
Reaction score
ive seen pictures if him using one,, he may have only used it just for the picture , but he still use it
maybe you are correct. not saying you´re wrong but his course i saw as my older brother had it.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well yes it has an element of both, which makes it superior to a fixed device,

it also gives you concentric and ecentric contraction, wonderful device

its very hard to tell the differance between very slow isokinetic( isotonic) and a series of isometic holds in varying joint position

they look exactly the same to the casual obsever

Last edited: