I need a new fist

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Straighten your thumb somewhat (mine doesn't bend reliably anymore), and you'll find it starts to protrude just past the surface of the fist. That tip of the thumb is what's transmitting impact into the arthritic knuckle.

Besides that, I do have super-human punches. I hit like a steam engine. No, really. It's like getting punched by the Hulk. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...until someone makes me prove it, then I'll have to come up with a new one.
Be the whip. o_O

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How about you place your hand on a hard surface. Like doing a knuckle push up and just see what feels comfortable to you.
Touch of death is correct. You really don't need the thumb for the punch. If this is your lead hand I would look into the wing chun front punch like bruce lee used to do. It's a vertical fist rather than horizontal.
For knuckle push-ups, I can just relax the thumb and let it rest against the floor. It doesn't work with a punch, because of the speed of impact.

Playing with this, I might be able to just start the thumb lower (bend more from the wrist-end of the metacarpal). I'll have to see how that feels when striking.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am talking more about punching people; so, the bag is gonna be the bag, and get your thumb. but people, not so much.
Agreed. I'm concerned about training. For actual fight use, it won't be as much of an issue. In sparring, I'm not likely to be landing hard punches to soft areas (so no compression around the hand), and if I had to actually hit someone hard, it won't be repeatedly over 20 or 30 minutes, and I won't really care so much if my hand aches the next day.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For knuckle push-ups, I can just relax the thumb and let it rest against the floor. It doesn't work with a punch, because of the speed of impact.

Playing with this, I might be able to just start the thumb lower (bend more from the wrist-end of the metacarpal). I'll have to see how that feels when striking.
Vertical punch the with your thumb, in a thumb up position, it's OK.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Straighten your thumb somewhat (mine doesn't bend reliably anymore), and you'll find it starts to protrude just past the surface of the fist. That tip of the thumb is what's transmitting impact into the arthritic knuckle.
The fist that I'm talking about will give you some room for that thumb. If your thumb needs to be a little straighter then it will start taking the shape of the single knuckle fist. This will still allow you to hit the heavy bag without smashing your thumb on the bag. Your thumb will move with the impact of the finger that it is pressing down on. If that finger moves back then so will the thumb.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm concerned about training. For actual fight use, it won't be as much of an issue. In sparring, I'm not likely to be landing hard punches to soft areas (so no compression around the hand), and if I had to actually hit someone hard, it won't be repeatedly over 20 or 30 minutes, and I won't really care so much if my hand aches the next day.
Just my opinion, but you are better off, with quick sharp snaps, than using those big ones.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just my opinion, but you are better off, with quick sharp snaps, than using those big ones.
Each has its purpose. I don't really hit all that hard (IMO). I'm not focused on power, so my hardest punches aren't going to be as hard as someone who trains for power. I do practice moderately hard punches (and occasionally full-power ones), because those cause a bigger reaction, and can sometimes stop a fight.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Each has its purpose. I don't really hit all that hard (IMO). I'm not focused on power, so my hardest punches aren't going to be as hard as someone who trains for power. I do practice moderately hard punches (and occasionally full-power ones), because those cause a bigger reaction, and can sometimes stop a fight.
Or, you can just moved a little closer, and finish him with your elbows.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you use a vertical or horizontal punch?/ have you tried switching it? Or a punch at a 45 degree angle, halfway between vertical and horizontal.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gloves change the interaction with the bag. I've been using them more because of that thumb, but the feedback is very different. If I don't find a way to use that fist bare-handed, gloves will be the only way I can hit the bag with my left fist. I'd live with that, but hoping there may be other alternatives.

Jesus. Use the bloody gloves.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you use a vertical or horizontal punch?/ have you tried switching it? Or a punch at a 45 degree angle, halfway between vertical and horizontal.
I use all three. At close range, it's vertical. Jabs are about 45 degrees. Crosses are horizontal.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I dont make a fist like the picture, I fold my thumb on top of top finger, that's not developed, that just how I do it
sort of like this

Attachments

• WP_20170621_20_13_24_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170621_20_13_24_Pro.jpg
    466.4 KB · Views: 127

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. Calm down.

Seen too many people not look after their bodies so they can train too hard or train through injuries or just be staunch.

You dont want to have serious issues in six months or a years time because you want to bare knuckle a bag.

images

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
sort of like this
That's the one I was describing earlier, that I've seen used. I need to play with it more - it just doesn't feel stable, which probably means I'm doing something wrong, or I'm expecting something of it that's just normal for what I'm used to. And it seems to transfer part of the hit into the thumb. I'm not sure that would be any kind of issue without the arthritis - I'm not entirely sure it's an issue with it. I'll have to wait until the soreness goes back down, and try a session with that fist, see what happens the next day.

OP
Gerry Seymour

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seen too many people not look after their bodies so they can train too hard or train through injuries or just be staunch.

You dont want to have serious issues in six months or a years time because you want to bare knuckle a bag.

images
Yeah, and that's why I'm asking folks for alternatives in how I use the hand. I've already said the gloves are an alternative, as is working open-handed on that side. Your reaction was a bit much, man.

Latest Discussions