I may be at a crossroads....input appreciated

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
So the kids (5 and 8) and I have been training TKD for about 18 months now. Fun was had, progress has been made, belts have been earned etc. Daughter also started gymnastics and is really enjoying that while her passion for TKD has fizzled (to put it in a nice way). Also three nights of activities per week is taken a toll on her with homework etc. So that leaves son and me and he might or might not want to continue. We are trying to work that out right now. That leaves me. I definitely want to continue training in MA and I really wanted to get to at least first dan in TKD but at the same time I am having some issues with the way we train. Forms etc, ok, sparring is good (even though I do not like WTF rules at all, I still have fun with it) but I loathe the way we train self defense....well we're just playing at it TBH. Also, the other TKD schools in the area are not any better...this was the least McDojang like I found when we started training. So I started looking around for another school and found this close by:

Apex Ki Do Kwan Life Protection Skills Training Center Self Defense for Everyone Apex Ki Do Kwan Life Protection Skills Training Center

Run by a LEO, scenario drills, Kali, Ki Bon Sool (never heard of it), BJJ and Judo.

I will contact them and find out more about their training, watch classes etc but I was hoping to maybe get some input here as well as I don't really have enough experience to judge yet if something is worthwhile or not.

There is also a you tube channel with a couple of vids:

Life Protection Skills - YouTube

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ki Bon Sool is 'basic technique'. Things like low, middle and high block.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at the website, it might be a pretty good school although I would have a couple of questions.

The "about" page states that the founder holds black belt rank in Hapkido, Hankido, and TKD. It doesn't say who is teaching the Kali or BJJ classes or what their qualifications are. It might be good to ask about that.

I have a friend who is a hi-ranking instructor in FCS Kali under Ray Dionaldo. If you can find the name of their KCS Kali instructor I can probably ask and find out more about them.

OP
Flatfish

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last edited:

Latest Discussions