I have a question!

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The main 2 being ITF and WTF style but I have heard of many different ones and independants throughout the world.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by DAC..florida
How many different style's or sets are there in TKD? :asian:
Style is dependent on the instructor, each instructor teaches a bit differently.

But as Damian pointed out, there are two major ones. ITF and WTF. The philosophy of ITF is more traditional, while the WTF is more sport. But again, it's dependent on the instructor.

The independent organizations do still get their rank from Kukkiwon most of the time as with the WTF and ITF. And each organization use the same forms most of the time as well.

The taegeuk forms are common in most WTF and ITF schools while Palgwe forms are more predominant in WTF schools although some ITF schools that I know of practice palgwe forms as well.

G

Galvatron

Originally posted by MartialArtist

The independent organizations do still get their rank from Kukkiwon most of the time as with the WTF and ITF.

While im sure there are ITF instructors out there that have Kukkiwon certificates, your statement is a little misleading. The Kukkiwon does not certify rank for the ITF. Kukkiwon is the WTF headquarters, and issues rank only for the WTF and it's various NGB's.
ITF practitioners get their rank from the ITF.

M

MartialArtist

ITF practitioners, when they get their dan certificates, is from Kukkiwon. You don't have to be in the WTF.

M

MartialArtist

Kukkiwon is primarily responsible for international black belt rank standardization and certification, while the WTF is primarily responsible for the administration and promotion of taekwondo as an international sport.
On the side note, ITF as stated before stresses traditional values more.

F

fissure

The different kwans (school/style, similar to the Japanese use of the word ryu) that existed in the past have been "swallowed" up by the unified TKD that exists today. 15-20 yrs ago most dojang listed a particular kwan somewhere in their affiliation, nowadays only the organization is given - ITF, WTF or whatever

F

fissure

ITF practitioners, when they get their dan certificates, is from Kukkiwon. You don't have to be in the WTF
MartialArtist: I have never heard of this before. I must say you may be mistaken in this. ITF practitioners do not learn Taeguek or Palgwae sets, their dan rank forms are also different. As such they would have to learn multiple sets of poomse just to test, as these (Taeguek and Palgwae) are the only forms listed by the Kukkiwon's text book.
Perhaps a knowledgable ITF practitioner would be helpfull in clearing this up?:asian:

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by fissure
MartialArtist: I have never heard of this before. I must say you may be mistaken in this. ITF practitioners do not learn Taeguek or Palgwae sets, their dan rank forms are also different. As such they would have to learn multiple sets of poomse just to test, as these (Taeguek and Palgwae) are the only forms listed by the Kukkiwon's text book.
Perhaps a knowledgable ITF practitioner would be helpfull in clearing this up?:asian:

What part of florida are you from.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I run an ITF school, I assure you that no ITF schools anywere learn those patterns or get certificates from the Kukkiwon.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I guess I should rephrase my question to how many original kwons were there, and also how many known off shoots of the originals are there.

OP
DAC..florida

DAC..florida

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Damian Mavis
I run an ITF school, I assure you that no ITF schools anywere learn those patterns or get certificates from the Kukkiwon.

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

I thought that was the case but i was not posetive so until I could get some proof I wouldnt argue on that, but thank you for your insight.

G

Galvatron

Originally posted by MartialArtist
ITF practitioners, when they get their dan certificates, is from Kukkiwon. You don't have to be in the WTF.

I hate to tell you my friend, but you are dead wrong. The Kukkiwon does not issue rank for anyone other than members of the WTF's national governing body organizations around the world.

The ITF isn't even based in South Korea, much less Seoul where Kukkiwon is.
The ITF and WTF are two organizations that are completely independent of each other.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Galvatron
I hate to tell you my friend, but you are dead wrong. The Kukkiwon does not issue rank for anyone other than members of the WTF's national governing body organizations around the world.

The ITF isn't even based in South Korea, much less Seoul where Kukkiwon is.
The ITF and WTF are two organizations that are completely independent of each other.

Sho-Nuff :rofl:

:p

D

Disco

For all concerned or interested. The confusion / confused perseption that the Kukkiwon certifies all.

An E-mail inqu: 7/4/03 2:31:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time
Reply-to: [email protected]
To: Disco
Sent from the Internet (Details)

No the kukkiwon is WTF.

CJS

----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2003 4:30 PM
Subject: Certification Information

Does the Kukkiwon issue the Black Belts Certificates for the ITF?iry to ITF HQ 7/2/03, had this return response.
:asian:

TallAdam85

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
No to people teach the same so if u look at it like that then There are millions of styles. But sometimes teachers add extra stuff in like some teach tkd and hapkido.

D

Disco

Damian, It wasen't you and it wasen't me and it surely wasen't almost all of the other's that posted. But alas, I fear there is someone who gives the impression of being confused. In multiple threads no less. Our duty is clear, we must stand tall and offer our assistance to unbridle the confusion that has overtaken our fellow poster.:D

Latest Discussions