Pronunciation

M

MartialArtist

What I find most shocking is that most people can't pronounce tae kwon do. Most pronounce it as tai kwan doe :BARF:

Hangul lesson (I couldn't find a place with characters so...

tkd-hangul.gif

first character is a sharp "tay". Don't drawl it or drag it. Like tape without the p.

second character when pronounced slowly is kwoo-un. Not kwan, but kwon.

third character is do, pronounced in a sharper tone.

OP
M

MountainSage

MartialArtist,
Know your just sounding like a grumpy old man. I've been know to butcher quite a number of word and languages in the same day.

Mountain Sage

OP
M

MartialArtist

Originally posted by MountainSage
MartialArtist,
Know your just sounding like a grumpy old man. I've been know to butcher quite a number of word and languages in the same day.

Mountain Sage
And the point you are trying to make is...

OP
M

MountainSage

MA, just seeing if I can ruffle your feather. You seem to be a person that is very passionate about the art of TKD and if I can get you a little rilled maybe some insight into your knowledge of the art maybe reveled that would normal not be revealed. Most of all I like to be a s**t strirrer.

Mountain Sage

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
How is saying you can't pronounce words going to cause MA discussion to ensue?

Last Fearner

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialArtist said:
What I find most shocking is that most people can't pronounce tae kwon do. Most pronounce it as tai kwan doe :BARF:

Hangul lesson (I couldn't find a place with characters so...

tkd-hangul.gif

first character is a sharp "tay". Don't drawl it or drag it. Like tape without the p.

second character when pronounced slowly is kwoo-un. Not kwan, but kwon.

third character is do, pronounced in a sharper tone.

This is an older thread, but I wanted to make a correction. It is true that most non-Asians that I hear speaking Korean, mispronounce most of the terminology in Taekwondo, including the word "Taekwondo."

However, the first syllable is not "tay," or "tie." If it were "tay" like "tape" the "E" vowel would be used. The Korean character for the English letter "E" which is pronounced like a long "A" vowel as in "play" or "tape" looks like this: ㅔ

An example would be like in the the Korean word for world: "Se Gye" 세계
(this is pronounced like "say gay.")

In the word Taekwondo, the first vowel is the "ae" combination. In Korean hangul, this is written as ㅐ

"Tae" should actually be pronounced like the short "a" vowels in "tack" or "back"

"kwon" rhymes with the number "one," and "Do" is the same as "Doe" a female deer.

Sr. Master Eisenhart

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Last Fearner said:
This is an older thread, but I wanted to make a correction. It is true that most non-Asians that I hear speaking Korean, mispronounce most of the terminology in Taekwondo, including the word "Taekwondo."

However, the first syllable is not "tay," or "tie." If it were "tay" like "tape" the "E" vowel would be used. The Korean character for the English letter "E" which is pronounced like a long "A" vowel as in "play" or "tape" looks like this: ㅔ

An example would be like in the the Korean word for world: "Se Gye" 세계
(this is pronounced like "say gay.")

In the word Taekwondo, the first vowel is the "ae" combination. In Korean hangul, this is written as ㅐ

"Tae" should actually be pronounced like the short "a" vowels in "tack" or "back"

"kwon" rhymes with the number "one," and "Do" is the same as "Doe" a female deer.

Sr. Master Eisenhart

I agree with this, and may as well throw in an additional point.
The vast majority of people pronounce "Taekwondo" as 3 separate words.
Every senior practitioner that I have known pronounces it as a single word, with the accent on the 2nd syllable.

Master Eisenhart, has this also been your experience?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Subumnim pronounces it as one word, but with the accent on the first syllable, and will use the short "a" sound. When separating it out, like using it as a 3 step count, such as just Tae(1) Kwon(2) Do(3), he'll pronounce the ae as long, or so it would sound. There's so much emphasis on the T, that the ae seems to more or less trail off.

One note of relevance. Just as we have slightly different accents in the US, depending on what region we're from, Koreans also have different accents for the same reason.

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
Gemini said:
One note of relevance. Just as we have slightly different accents in the US, depending on what region we're from, Koreans also have different accents for the same reason.

Absolutely, the dialects change from South to North Korea maybe even more than they do here from Alabama to Minnesota (eh?) :rolleyes:

As an example, I have heard the Korean word for bow pronounced as "kyoon-ae"
(supposedly Southern) and "koom-li" (supposedly Northern)

I invite anyone who speaks Korean, or has lived/trained there to jump in and expound on or correct any of this....

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
One comment and then I will go away

Try studying Tai Chi, Xingyi or Bagua.

I have head
T-eye Ch-eye
X-ing y-eye
Bay g uoo a
Just to name a few.

Show a Japanese person the Chinese characters for any of them and they will pronounce it different. Korean however is a different character set.

I also use to study TeaKwondo and I have heard many a mispronunciation. I just ignore it and go on.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
*tries to pronounce it last fearner's way*

ta-kwun-doe

I sound like a country hick. I think I'll stick to my mis-pronunciaton

Latest Discussions