I got a bone to pick here!

R

RCastillo

Some guy on the "Other Forum" said that Tracy Kenpo is not "TRUE KENPO???

Hey, I may only be a 10 year rookie in Kenpo(3rd Dan), and 47, But I didn't just get promoted yesterday.

Mr. Conatser told me once, "You don't know, what you know." Well, thanks to Mr. Conatser again, I know now. And I'm growing feathers all the time(I'm still a fledgling to him) because he's opened my eyes. Don't even think about dissing my Kenpo! I sure won't disrespect yours!:2pistols:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ricardo!!!!

What other forum? Who said that? It wasn't Wes Idol, Clyde T., Frank Trejo or one of them know-nothings was it? Maybe we can pay Conatser enough to help hold them while we demonstrate true Kenpo on their foreheads! :lol:

Give 'em a break Ricardo. People who make stupid remarks are just stupid. Morons are not worth getting in a tizzy about. Now religion? There's something I can sink my teeth into ...

If you aren't a member of the First Church of the Immaculate Misconception and the Illuminated Presumptuous Assumption, then you ain't got much! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Take care, and ..

GIMME SLACK!!!

The Right Reverend BoB ... er ... ah ... So sorry...

Dan Farmer

OP
R

RCastillo

Ok, I'm alright now..............I got it out of my system:wah:

Sigung86

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo

Ok, I'm alright now..............I got it out of my system:wah:

Well Ricardo,

I seem to have either changed my mind, or lied... I'm not sure which at this point in time. Go see what I posted!:rofl:

Dan

OP
R

RCastillo

I saw it, and I'm motivated once again to enter the ring, BRING

ME BILLY LEAR, NOW!!!!!!!!!!:boxing: THAT'LL BE ONE LESS

STUDENT FOR MR. HAWKINS!

p.s. I'm setting up my trainning camp in Scottsdale, AZ in DC's back yard!

Roland

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
And do not forget the ones who just do not know better.

Not that it is any excuse to ever put anyone, or their 'style' down.
Glad to hear you are able to look past it Ricardo, just keep doing what you are doing.

It does not matter what you train, as long as you keep learning, improving yourself. To do that you must always keep and open mind. It is a very personal journey for us all, no one can dictate what 'YOU' should be doing. Anyone who tries has already closed themseleves off, and has stoped learing, which means they will be unable to teach.
I say you are one of the lucky ones who does keep his mind open. The ones who do not, lose out.
Plain and simple is how I see it!

:)

OP
T

tonbo

I just had an interesting thought. (Well, interesting to *me*, anyway).

I think the only person that could truly be said to have studied the REAL Ed Parker's Kenpo Karate was.......SGM Ed Parker. After that, people could study and learn some of the ways he moved, some of the techniques he came up with, and so on, but he was the only one who was actually doing the real thing.

Can anyone say that "X Style of Kenpo is not TRUE Kenpo"? By which measuring stick? Is that like saying that since most boxers today don't fight like Jack Dempsey, they don't do TRUE boxing?

Remember that, when pure knuckles meet pure flesh, that is pure karate...;)

Now, I think that some schools/teachers/styles/arts teach more concepts/skills/philosophies, etc. But that is the nature of the beast. However, if one "style" of Kenpo, or Kung Fu, or so on disses another, then it is only a show of ignorance.

*shrug*. Let 'em think what they want. It costs nothing. It just shows that they have a different opinion. They are welcome to their misconceptions, just like anyone else...;)

And no, I don't personally study Tracy Kenpo. But I don't see any point in knocking it, either. I ain't smart enough to know anything about it.....never seen what they got, so to speak. But, I have seen them at tournaments, and it looks like Kenpo to *me*....

Peace--

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just shrug it off. My 1st Black was in a Tracy style. Yes I moved to Ed Parker's Kenpo in 1985 or 86, and they are different. But that does not mean that what you do does not work, not does it devalue the belt I earned in what we called Chinese Kenpo (All Tracy Techniques w/ the numbered forms plus Tiger & Crane, Book Set, Spears and Swords.)

I loved doing it while I was doing it, learned a lot, then moved to, while not a new system, it was a different way of moving that the Tracy techniques were just not designed for. Believe me, we tried to integrate the way of moving with the older techniques and it worked for some, but not for others, plus some of the principles, concepts and theories just did not apply, ie point of origin, economy of motion, and outer rim theory - to be specific.

Also, as you advance in the Tracy system, it appears like the techniques get more and more similar, with just the names being changed, especially at the Brown belt levels. Multiple attackers, weapons, and combination attack techniques resemble each other closly if not exactly.

Mr. Conatser came from the same place I did. He just got to both places a little sooner than me. He speaks truely when he says "you do not know what you do not know" ... I know, cause I have been there. Don't take this as disparaging. He can defend himself - but this is more a statement that it is about how you move, than what you do. It has to do with Mr. Parker in the 80's glancing at someone and knowing what level they were by the way they moved. It took a certainl level of maturity in the WAY you MOVED, Not in WHAT YOU DID, to have him catagorize you in a few techniques. This does not mean this was the only criteria for promotions (material, time in grade, politiacal, etc?)

I just did not want you to discount what you know, but realize it's worth and value. There is also more out there that is different. Some say "more sophisticated", but that is something you would have to judge for yourself. Go visit Mr. Contaser some day. He can and will literally rock your world when it comes to principles, concepts, and theories of Kenpo as Mr. Parker was teaching them. Remember, he travelled all over with our SGM and saw first hand what was taught to who and how. Now if he starts talking too much or too fast, just tell him to respectfully and politely stifle himself. It can get overwhelming or intimidating. But I garantee you will walk away with more than you came to the table with.

"Remember all those who came before" are part of who you are now (I credit this sentiment to Sigung LaBounty [belt to forehead, sir].)

Yours in Kenpo (both kinds)
-Michael Billings
United Kenpo Systems
(Yes, Billy Lear's Association, and he can also defend himself, I am not trying to do that, but give you a pespective on why he may have implied that. Watch out Billy, people in your association came up from somewhere also - Respectfully -MB)

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by RCastillo Some guy on the "Other Forum" said that Tracy Kenpo is not "TRUE KENPO??? Mr. Conatser told me once, "You don't know, what you know." Well, thanks to Mr. Conatser again, I know now. And I'm growing feathers all the time(I'm still a fledgling to him) because he's opened my eyes. Don't even think about dissing my Kenpo! I sure won't disrespect yours!:2pistols:

Lol, well close Ricardo...... what I really said was..."You don't know what you DON'T know? Which means that you only know what you know not what you "don't" know. Thus the need to continue to study and open you eyes to what the real picture is and possibly not just a remote piece.

Who ever this is that made that statement to you ..... Tell him/her to contact me. LOL. I'll set them straight.

Your Kenpo is as valid as mine or anyone else's! Now, that being said...... I may "KNOW" a little more than you "about" Kenpo but it has "nothing"! .... NOTHING!!! to do with being TRUE Kenpo!!

So just ignore such limited or uneducated statements, which probably come from a newbie that only knows what he or she knows at this time and chose to voice it (Not what we KNOW)! LOL

Some of them feathers are gettin Bigger!!!

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wasn't it 2nd just yesterday? OK, so I did not know about your 6th, at least I noticed the MartialTalk Belt. Congrats & keep on pounding those keys.

-MB

OP
R

RCastillo

Originally posted by Goldendragon7

I'm going for Senior Grand Philosopher! :asian:

:rofl:

Oh yeah? Well, did you know that Dennis Conatser is a "Closet TKD-ist:eek:

OP
W

WilliamTLear

I NEVER SAID THAT TRACY KENPO WAS ILLEGITIMATE!!! RICARDO YOU NEED TO APOLOGIZE!!! AND I AM SERIOUS!!!

I have and never will put down any Martial Art, or system... I understand that Ricardo is trying to Joke around, but the Joking is over!

Mr. Billings,

I came over to Kenpo from elsewhere too, and although I have a fair amount of pride in what I do these days, I am not the type of guy that slanders people and their passions. Ricardo is someone that I correspond with on A.O.L. Instant Messenger, and occasionally he and I get to slinging insults back and forth (i.e. the Gou Ronin/Ricardo Coalition vs. the world type of thing), but this comment that he put in my mouth was NOT spoken, or written by me. It is a joke that has gone too far, and quite frankly has made me very angry. I never said that Tracy Kenpo isn't REAL Kenpo.

Thank You,
Billy Lear
UNITED Kenpo Systems
www.geocities.com/williamtlear

Latest Discussions